Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvogel1570
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jan 2006

This is not Ed. Not saying it isn't good, or that he couldn't, but...

This is a guy who grew up listening to Ed (e.g., Michael Angelo Bateo), but not Ed.

My reasons...
    1) I have never heard/seen Ed play the harmonic minor style exhibited here. In all the live performances you would have heard him play it somewhere (especially the US Festival in 83 when Malmsteen/Rhodes were very popular for playing the "classical" stuff). His extended solos through Van Hagar were compilations of eruption, mean street, cathedral, spanish fly, etc. He has a love for Pagannini... it would have come out.
    2) Not even close to his sound. This is a sound very popular in the mid- '80s (of course following Ed's lead). This isn't an MXR Distortion+. Probably a Boss DS-1. A lot of reverb (like everyone at that time), not Ed's style of echo.
    3) this is all picked. there is no two-handed stuff here. Ed was showcasing his two-handed stuff all the way through 1984. If this was legite, there would be some of it on here.
    4) not his vibrato (whammy bar) style.
    5) Ed did do the arppegiated stuff displayed here (and never did).

Again this style was popularized in the early/mid 80's following Rhodes and Malmsteen. It's a nice solo. Ed can probably play this stuff... but it ain't him.

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 1971Quarter
      It's actually Randy Rhoads.

That's why Eddie downed his plane
      That's what I've been saying for years~!!

Comment

• eddie007
        Roadie
        • Sep 2005

Eruption ????????

Like I said a while back .....

It's Nuno and Yngwies Kid.

..........or Carlos Cavazo....you know the guy from that Bang Your Head Band in the 80's - Quiet Riot.

...This should be the alternative version to the Battle Axe Solo.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by dvogel1570
          3) this is all picked. there is no two-handed stuff here. Ed was showcasing his two-handed stuff all the way through 1984. If this was legite, there would be some of it on here.

You are forgetting that Ed was critisized for relying on his two-handed stuff and would probably want to demonstrate his versatility.

Especially on something such as this - a gift to friends and loyal fans.

He had already made a version with his signature technique, why again?
          Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-21-2006, 10:44 PM.
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

Not EVH , PERIOD !

An EVH "inspired' solo indeed. But not EVH .
            These dj's who played this . no doubt received the tape anonymously.

Key word to Ed's playing is his phrasing. absolutely unmistakable .
            It's a players fingerprint /sonic DNA . (so to speak)

Sorry bro , it ain't him ...

But thanks for posting it . Was entertaining none the less .
            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by diamondjimi
              These dj's who played this . no doubt received the tape anonymously.

No. They received it from Ed.

I am efforting on confirmation, although I have no doubt
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                No. They received it from Ed.

I am efforting on confirmation, although I have no doubt

You seem very convinced.

Most dj's are bullshit artists , especially if they're deserate for ratings. 99% of these guys are'nt even musicians. They could'nt tell the difference from a EVH solo and a Sammy Hagar solo.

Only short of hearing Ed s voice saying "yes that's an outtake , and these guys just played it " would I believe it's him .

This thread should've had a poll ..........
                Last edited by Diamondjimi; 03-22-2006, 12:18 AM.
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                  KISW was the first radio station outside of southern California to play Van Halen, and the band had a great relationship with the on air staff of the time, most of whom are still on the air, but they're all at KZOK now. Except for Bo Roberts. Not sure where he ended up, actually.....

Anyway, it's possible that such a transaction took place, but that doesn't sound like Eddie to me, and it doesn't sound remotely like "Eruption"

This radio station had the boys in their studio more than once, and the DJs were close to Ed.

I have a 45 minute party on tape...that is the word for it - when the boys tore it up in the KISW studios in 1979

If they say that Ed gave them a tape, that is what happened.
                  Last edited by Romeo Delight; 03-22-2006, 12:18 AM.
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    That's what I've been saying for years~!!
                    Sharon downed the plane. Probably because there were rumors that Randy was going back to Quiet Riot.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• dvogel1570
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                      You are forgetting that Ed was critisized for relying on his two-handed stuff and would probably want to demonstrate his versatility.

Especially on something such as this - a gift to friends and loyal fans.

He had already made a version with his signature technique, why again?

You said it was another version of Eruption from that time period. How could he be criticized for too-much two-handed stuff when virtually no one knew about it yet and were totally freaked about the sound and how he might have done it when they first heard it on the album?

Do you honestly think if he wanted to demonstrate his versatility, that it wouldn't have come out anywhere else, at any other time?

You place a lot of faith in radio hosts (friends of EVH or not). These dudes make careers of "hyping" bullshit to gain ratings.

You also place a lot of faith that it must be EVH because of the synthesizer overdub. Again a popular device in the mid-80's. Same with the pinch harmonics.

This has no real similarity to EVH. Even when he did the song "Bluesbreaker" with May, "Beat It" with Jackson, the work with Crystal Gayle... you could still tell it was him.

Appreciate your enthusiasm. It ain't him.

Comment

• eddie007
                        Roadie
                        • Sep 2005

Eruption ????????????

During that whole 1984-85 era, Eddie was really into Allan Holdsworth ( did you so called fans forget this very important point !!!! )

Listen to the solos on Drop dead legs,house of pain, etc,

Alot of legato playing - none of this stuff.

I have A TRUE SOLO from 5150 that would part everyones hair!

Its a long story how I have it.

but, it is with alex and bass that sounds like michael ( don't truly know if it is or not)

It is on a CD, And I am computer stupid.

How do I get this to mp3 ??????????????

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2006

Sharon downed the plane. Probably because there were rumors that Randy was going back to Quiet Riot.
                          Wait...as this is FORD making this hypothesis (that involves downed planes, no less), one must wonder if he means not Sharon Osbourne, but rather Ariel Sharon...
                          RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                            Wait...as this is FORD making this hypothesis (that involves downed planes, no less), one must wonder if he means not Sharon Osbourne, but rather Ariel Sharon...
                            Nah, he was too busy planning to slaughter civilians in Sabra & Shatilla at that time.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2006

Nah, he was too busy planning to slaughter civilians in Sabra & Shatilla at that time.
                              Oh, I think Mrs. Osbourne was behind that too...
                              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

Re: Eruption ????????????

Originally posted by eddie007

It is on a CD, And I am computer stupid.

Apparently...

How do I get this to mp3 ??????????????

Google MP3 conversion...

If that don't help, maybe some fag at redcocksucker.com will take the time to explain it to you...

And the solo is Edward Van FUCKING Halen...

Last edited by ELVIS; 03-22-2006, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...