Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hitch1969©
    Sniper
    • Mar 2003

well it seems that AlbertR bothered to pop his head in at this site in another thread, but I guess that he saved any discourse of substance exclusively for the vh mailing list:

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:47:13 -0800
    Wrom: AUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWR
    Subject: Dave's show was not cancelled, only short term suspension

Here is what I've been able to gather, from the following sources and
    others:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Dave's show was not cancelled in any city. He was on planned travel to
    Miami and then was told he could not broadcast from Miami without a CBS
    executive supervising from the same studio. So CBS knew that Dave's
    show
    would not air as scheduled and got JV & Elvis to fill in at New York.
    They
    are the on the midday broadcast in NY so they were readily available to
    broadcast during Dave's morning slot. Three other markets decided to
    also
    go with JV & Elvis while other DLR affiliate stations chose to fill the
    time
    slot with their own programming. According to CBS, Dave and his crew
    are
    returning to NY to broadcast this Friday, and Dave has not been let go.
    His
    broadcast will be carried on all the normal stations that Dave is on.

There are a lot of spins by various people, including an early report
    on
    DCRTV.com that CBS had removed Dave's show from 4 markets, which was
    only
    marginally true, and then a lot of people jumped to the conclusion that
    it
    was a permanent removal instead of a temporary suspension of Dave's
    broadcast.

I am not saying Dave's show will never get cancelled or that Dave will
    never
    be forced to quit, I am just saying that Dave being off the air for a
    day,
    and his base city along with 3 other cities deciding to go with the
    same
    substitute does not mean Dave is off the radio forever.

--Albert R.

http://www.myspace.com/albertr

thanks for keeping US in the loop when you stop by just wanting something AlbertR.

BREASTS!!

=h=
    ...get your hitchworld on.

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Roth On Hitch1969©
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• mark flood
        Full On Cocktard
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for trawling through all the shit and bullshit and horse shit news reports out there Hitch. Keepin' it clear for us DLR Fans. Much respect. Flud

Comment

• Gifted1
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Mar 2006

FMQB

Mexican Standoff: "Dave" Roth Charges CBS Radio With Sabotage

March 31, 2006

David Lee Roth was back on the air this morning after being pulled by CBS Radio for the past two mornings. Well, "Dave" Roth was back, with some noticeable changes including the disappearance of his sidekicks and the over 40 different music beds that would rotate during his program.

"Actually, it's Dave Roth," the Rock star turned radio morning man explained today (3/31) on his program. "There's a variation here. [I'm] no longer D Ro. We've been asked to get rid of the loops and the music and the general gang here."

Down to just his board-op Hutch as the only other person in the studio, Roth said he was facing "disciplinary action" if he didn't adhere to new "an entirely new format" set forth in a four page letter issued by CBS Radio, which included talk without music beds, more discussion of currents news items, and the introduction of sports as a topic of conversation. Roth said he would be fired if he continued to do his program as he had been and that CBS Radio would not be obligated to pay out the remainder of his contract.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a gal to read the weather or read the traffic," Roth suggested. "If I didn't know any better I would say they are trying to sabotage the deal, but I know they fully support and love me." He later added, "[CBS Radio CEO/President] Joel Hollander did tell me I needed to be flexible, but I didn't know he meant I would need a lubricant."

In what is turning into a Mexican standoff, Roth defended his use of the music beds. "Playing twenty-seconds of a rock tune coming in ... and twenty-seconds out is a little bit predictable and is familiar," he said. "You know it from a lot of shows, so I thought let's dispense with it entirely, at least we can try and keep some semblance of what we're about here."

As for why he was off the air the past two days, Roth said, "I'll take the fall [for what happened in Florida]. I wasn't following directives. I was playing a lot of black music and I was having a lot of black fun humor with Animal. We were playing foreign language IDs, which we gotta get rid of. I wasn't really dealing with the news and the general traffic of the day, so we were taken off the air for a couple of days."

Roth also addressed his tenure to date as a novice radio host. "How long do you think it would take to put a rock band together? Do you think that a band could get together in six weeks and become incredible? That's essentially what I was called upon to do. And my 'rock band' would be compared with possibly the greatest face in the sport -- Howard Stern -- who had been around for twenty years putting together his art form. For the first four to six weeks, I floundered like a fish on the end of a pike."

Roth also charged that his initial weeks on the air were damaged by CBS Radio not booking any guests on his program. "I asked some friends, not professional players, but people who I knew had a sense of humor to come in and prop me up, because somehow in the first two weeks they failed to book guests, even though we approved a number of folks. Somehow, it just got passed over and I didn't have any guests for the first two weeks."

Last edited by Gifted1; 03-31-2006, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Gifted1
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Mar 2006

News From Audio Graphics:

David Lee Roth Returns - Staff Doesn't
            Not to beat a topic's drum too long, but what's occurring on the David Lee Roth morning show at CBS Radio is an example of radio trying to rectify a problem - which is good. It's also a sign that an old dog can learn new tricks, if that dog is prompted with legal threats or loss of income.

David Lee Roth returned this morning with Hutch, sans the rest of his morning show staff. Within the content of this morning's program were the following explanations:
            1) Where DLR was the past few days (removed by CBS execs)
            2) That he's been served a more stringent set of rules to follow
            (which outline his program's format)
            3) DLR's understanding of this as an attempt at stifling what he considers
            items needed to perform on the radio (but he's willing to try it without them)

Owing up to the call for dismissing David Lee Roth yesterday, I thought that given these developments the ball has been thrown to DLR. Whether he sinks or swims depends on his understanding a few principles of broadcast that - up until now - have escaped him.

David:

You are a person with a track record in music that cannot be denied. Your affect on millions has been documented, and can only be described as an enjoyable experience. But you now sit in an environment that is quite different and requires an adjustment, which is within the power of any talented, creative person.

Although the execs at CBS Radio don't have a track record on providing good radio, a few points that were mentioned on your show this morning do hold promise. Getting rid of all but Hutch starts the rebuilding of a shaky foundation laid in your first two months on the air. Reason: Whether your loyal fans admit it or not, your future depends on radio ratings that have shown to be dismal, at best.

The biggest difference between (your) past success and today's attempt at success is that the music you produced wasn't released until you thought it was ready for the consumer. In the radio studio, however, you have but one shot; once words leave your mouth they can't be erased or edited.

In making music you had the advantage of planning throughout the recording session. In your first two months of being a radio morning host, there were few times that I was listening when it sounded like what came out of the speakers was "planned." There is nothing wrong with rehearsed ad-libs. Nor is there anything wrong with dead air; it is a tool that can be used as effectively as music bumpers. Your main goal now is to offer the audience a sampling of "most relatable" topics, to build it past loyal listeners.

In response to words posted here yesterday, one person wrote in your defense with an elequent appeal to look past David Lee Roth and concentrate on those surrounding you. Please read it, as it reflects almost exactly what you discussed as "the new format."

No creative person likes to be told they're not doing something to the liking of the money men. But, in this case, it will enhance your program.

Side note to DLR:

You have every right to ask "who is this guy?" Keeping the answer short, I have:
            nearly three decades of involvement with radio - on air, production, management,
            spent time in Muscle Shoals, Alabama recording studios (in the 70's
            when it was the "hit recording capital of the world"),
            created hundreds of full-length radio programs,
            created over 10,000 broadcast commercials,
            ...and, am a constant critic of what commercial broadcasting has become.

Good luck.

P.S.: Don't read me the news. Tell me the news.

Comments may be published.

I've listened to the DLR show several times and I never heard him announce what's coming up next on the show, what they'll be doing next week, etc. It's as if the entire show is ad-libbed. I can appreciate DLR trying to define his own radio style but fact is he no prior experience in broadcasting. It takes exceptional broadcast talent to carry a show with no format and to my ears DLR's jazzy style alone is not enough. My advice for DLR: you have to give the audience a reason to tune in again tommorrow, or tune in again next week, in other words you have to drop a mention of what's coming up next every 15 minutes or so and continuously tease the audience so they'll want to keep listening. You could also have weekly bits that occure on the same time every week so listeners get in the habit staying tuned for that. But in order to have bits to announce you have to have a format and a production schedule. I could be wrong but so far I
            haven't heard anything like this. CBS is paying for some very expensive on-the-job training.

Regarding your directives to David Lee Roth, is it not important to give his show a chance to grow? Radio requires time to build an audience. I am amazed at your shameless promotion of your resume while failing to address this very important issue. CBS listened to Dave and bought his show based upon his act. Why not point the finger at the moronic executives at CBS who failed by allowing
            their bread winner to leave to Sirius. Any person who attempts to be like Howard Stern will fail a great deal faster than someone who attemps to build an audience by doing something unique and fresh.

I totally disagree that DLR is that bad. I have never been a real big listener to "talk radio" but since David has been on the air, I have really enjoyed it and have been listening regularly to him and the other talk shows here in Dallas. DLR is an honest, extremely intelligent individual who needs to be given a break by all the bs Stern fans. No one else is going to be what Stern is to many people,
            thank goodness. It is great to listen to someone who has an opinion without cutting people off (ala Russ Martin in Dallas) or constant comments about t&a (ala Stern). Keep Dave on the air and let him do what he has been doing so well. Also, forgot this new format (Friday), it really is boring. (Thanks a lot producers.)
            Publisher's Note: Please stop referring to anyone asking David Lee Roth to be another Howard Stern. There has never been, and will never be, a desire for that to occur. One Howard is enough.

Typical radio shows DO take 12-18 months to see what impact that they will make on the market place... however this is not a typical radio show. In fact, it's not even a radio show. The typical listener can not listen for more than 5 minutes because he's impossible to follow along with. No matter how much time you give it, it will not deliver the listeners -- despite what Howard Stern says. As moronic as us CBS programmers are, it doesn't take a radio genius to figure out that his style is NOT going to work... no matter how long. Spotting a diamond in the rough as talent is admittedly not an easy thing to do, in fact there are very few out there -- but finding a turd in the punchbowl is
            as easy as turning on the radio and knowing he has to go. It's best to cut ties now before permanent damage is done. No matter what format they give him, it's not going to work.
            This is all about the money. If they just remove him without cause, he has to be paid on his contract guarantee. But if they remove him for cause, then they don't have to pay. Right now they've got him in his corner after having demonstrated willful disregard for anagement. The next move he makes that is even remotely out of line, he's gone and CBS won't have to pay him. That's all this is about, money.
            Unfortunately for CBS -- they're losing at least $4 million per quarter from their stations in ad revenue that has pulled out, on top of paying him his salary. They're better off just coming to an agreement and buying him out. The pathetic funeral durge he put on this morning is as worse as he was doing before.

Comment

• Golden AWe
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

!!!

Originally posted by Cato
              Golden, why are you FAT?
              Originally posted by lesfunk
              Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
              http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

What a read...

Comment

• bru87tr
                  Commando
                  • Apr 2004

funny thing is they keep saying DLR has lost most of sterns listeners. the only one that has lost the stern listeners is CBS! they let him go and no matter who stepped in his shoes was gonna lose. you cant let someone big like stern with faithfull followers go and expect anyone to step in and win over loyal fans who have been with stern for how many years ? not gonna happen. I would never taken that job if I were DLR. its like other singers trying to step into DLR shoes in VH. you cant step into sterns shoes and not because DLR or anyone else is not talented but because the faithful listeners are just that, faithful and they love stern.

I think DLR is as good as it gets for CBS. if they get rid of roth they might as well forget the whole talk show thing cause others will come in and others will fail even worse. atleast DLR is original and very diverse.
                  "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

• Carmine
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

What up Bru?

Comment

Working...