• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Re: 1978

Originally posted by Skin_Walker

After VH1 it was over for me, VH2 sounded like polished up outtakes from VH1. With the possible exception of 1984 VH never released an album as good as the first again.
    You didn't like Fair Warning? The reason Fair Warning was so different, and the reason it stands out from the ones before it, is that it was really the first album the band had to write from scratch. You're correct about VHII being leftovers from the first album, but so was WACF. Actually, some of the songs on WACF were some of the band's oldest songs. "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme" were first recorded at Cherokee studios back when a guy named Mark Stone was still playing bass. But the recordings were fresh, and the songs had certainly evolved considerably from the club days. Even 1984 had one holdover from the club days - "House of Pain" Though the lyrics and tempo of the song were completely different on the 1984 version from the version that should have - but for whatever reasons didn't - make it on to the first album.

So what is the VH legacy? Warrant? Poison?
    Or is it lawsuits, alcoholism, cancer?

In DLRs book Crazy From THe Heat, there is a photograph of DLR and EVH on stage entitled 'When we were kings' That sums it all up to me.
    They were indeed the Kings. Actually, it was really cool of Elvis to drop dead in 1977 so the throne would be vacant.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Plexi Head
      Head Fluffer
      • May 2005

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
      I don't think 5150 killed creativity at all...

I think Ed started taking something that led him to believe 2 things...

1. Dave was stealing the spotlight (of course...always)

and

2. They had to "grow up,"

as though 1984...when they were the biggest thing in the rock and roll world...period...

didn't prove that already...

I heard someone say that 1978...they were the biggest thing in the rock world...and that may be true...for you...

but in 1984...they were never any bigger...

they owned the rock charts/magazines/MTV/concert stage...everything...

and Dave saw fit leave this band at the height of it's powers. Good move Dave.
      "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Comment

• light 'em up!
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2004

The debut album was by far the best album. Period. The other 5 were good, but the first one was the motherfucker.

As far as live, I think they were at their peak between 1978-1979. After that they had nothing to prove... they were the reigning champs. I remember going to the 1980 Invasion tour in Oakland on Dave's Bday... Dave was drunk, forgetting words to songs, slurring through his shtick in between songs. It was kind of embarrassing. The concert was more of a party. 1981 Oakland show was much tighter. I went to the June 12th show, graduated high school the night before.
        Last edited by light 'em up!; 08-06-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Plexi Head
          and Dave saw fit leave this band at the height of it's powers. Good move Dave.
          Dave saw fit to leave the band...because the fucking band didn't want to fucking tour...or even work on an album...

I have the fucking interview...

Dave doing interviews left and right...regarding his solo EP album...

"The only reason why I'm doing this is because I can't get the rest of the band into the studio..."

It took fucking Dave leaving to get them off of their asses...

figures...

but hey...whatever...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I forget the interview...but Dave was asked when the were going to do another tour of Australia and Japan...

and he said he'd do it right now...but can't get anyone to want to do it...

and he was right...

Oh...there was more to it than that...but not much more...
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Romeo Delight
              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Dave knew they should strike when they were at their peak.

And then Ed played him "Love Walks In".

Bye
              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Those worthless cunts did everything they could to "change the lineup" back in 1985 and 1986...

fuck them...

but oh wait...spED shits flowers...so it couldn't have been him...

ridiculous...

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I have one thing to say...
                  Let Sally Drive... uh u hu hu hu huh

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                    I forget the interview...but Dave was asked when the were going to do another tour of Australia and Japan...

and he said he'd do it right now...but can't get anyone to want to do it...

and he was right...

Oh...there was more to it than that...but not much more...
                    The best one was regarding South America. LMAO.....said he couldn't get the band motivated to go back down there. Something about the water in the toilet swirling the opposite way below the equator, and how it freaked 'em out.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

It's actually an interesting interview...this bitch keeps asking him about his solo album...and he keeps talking about VH...and how he wants to reconvene for an album and a tour...

she also asks him about a movie...and he said, "He wouldn't do one with out Ed writing the soundtrack for it...but Ed said he would..."

something like that...I'll have to rewatch it...

Comment

• Plexi Head
                        Head Fluffer
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                        Dave knew they should strike when they were at their peak.

And then Ed played him "Love Walks In".

Bye
                        Ha!
                        "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

Re: Re: 1978

Originally posted by bueno bob
                          "Van Halen" has never really flowed right...nitpicking really, but I always thought RWTD was a very weak way to start the album, always thought On Fire or maybe Let's Get Rockin' would have been far better choices for a lead off track...Eruption didn't need to be the 2nd track and should have been relegated to side 2 somewhere, and YRGM should have ended side 1...but, you know, I could nitpick forever and it gets me nowhere, and at the end of the day, who the hell cares, anyway? Track order doesn't detract from the album's overall quality, which is 9.5 out of a possible 10.

Like you said to each his own.

I always felt that RWTD was the perfect introduction to what was the Mighty Van Halen. Seems that when that song would begin, people would stop what they were doing and listen. And then to have Eruption right after it was perfect because it was an intro to Ed and his abilitites. Then YRGM was great coming in third because it was a song that folks knew of and it allowed VH to show what they could do to a song to make it their own.

I wouldn't change that particular order for anything.

But thats just me.
                          “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• MAX
                            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: 1978

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
                            Like you said to each his own.

I always felt that RWTD was the perfect introduction to what was the Mighty Van Halen. Seems that when that song would begin, people would stop what they were doing and listen. And then to have Eruption right after it was perfect because it was an intro to Ed and his abilitites. Then YRGM was great coming in third because it was a song that folks knew of and it allowed VH to show what they could do to a song to make it their own.

I wouldn't change that particular order for anything.

But thats just me.

You're 100% correct and believe me, shit like that doesn't happen by accident. Teddy Templeman really knew how to make those albums flow. Just like Dave used to say, that if you put Van Halen records inbetween your other albums, they're so hot that they's melt all of the other albums. It's true.

DG, I still envy you for being a Fair Warning Tour Vet. That's like Xanadu.
                            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Van Squalen
                              Groupie
                              • Mar 2005

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1978

Originally posted by MAX
                              You're 100% correct and believe me, shit like that doesn't happen by accident. Teddy Templeman really knew how to make those albums flow. Just like Dave used to say, that if you put Van Halen records inbetween your other albums, they're so hot that they's melt all of the other albums. It's true.

DG, I still envy you for being a Fair Warning Tour Vet. That's like Xanadu.
                              Ah yes, 'Warning tour. Not a bad intro to concert-going.

WTF you been up to, Dex?

Comment

• Van Squalen
                                Groupie
                                • Mar 2005

Although a masterpiece landmark debut album, I think VH 1 would've shined even brighter if they'd put on We Die Bold or Babe Don't Leave Me Alone in lieu of a Kinks cover or Little Dreamer.

But that's just me. Ted knows better than my lowly self.

And there's no fuckin' way VH 1 trumps the sheer majesty of Fair Warning.

No

Fucking

Way

Comment

Working...