• Show
Clear All
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1978

Originally posted by VanSqualen
    Ah yes, 'Warning tour. Not a bad intro to concert-going.

WTF you been up to, Dex?
    Well 'ello there Squal, I thought you'd fallen off the map?

"Dex?" I don't get it? :confused:

Hey, I just shot you a pm.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Van Squalen
      Groupie
      • Mar 2005

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1978

Originally posted by MAX
      Well 'ello there Squal, I thought you'd fallen off the map?

"Dex?" I don't get it? :confused:

Hey, I just shot you a pm.
      I'd thought YOU had fallen off the map.

Decimus, Max, combination thereof, whatever....just jawin'.

Links forever banned from your browser then?

Comment

• MAX
        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Although a masterpiece landmark debut album, I think VH 1 would've shined even brighter if they'd put on We Die Bold or Babe Don't Leave Me Alone in lieu of a Kinks cover or Little Dreamer.
        No way with YRGM cos they smoked that song and made it their own. Other bands heard their version and tried to rip them off. I'm sure you've heard the story about a rival band called "Angel" that Ed played the Templeman recordings to and they shot into the studio the next day tryin' to record and release a Halenized version of the tune. Hence, YRGM being released as a single prior to VHI hitting the shelves.

As for BDLMA, I dunno? Although I dig the track, it's nothing spectacular and as
        Ed even stated during the recording of DD, the song sounds dated and I have to agree. Something like "Big Troubles" would've been a better choice. However, VHI is what it is and with that being said, I wouldn't change a thing.
        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1978

I'd thought YOU had fallen off the map.

Decimus, Max, combination thereof, whatever....just jawin'.

Links forever banned from your browser then?
          Oh, I get it regarding "Dex." lol

What do you mean about my browser being banned? :confused:
          EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Van Squalen
            Groupie
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MAX
            No way with YRGM cos they smoked that song and made it their own. Other bands heard their version and tried to rip them off. I'm sure you've heard the story about a rival band called "Angel" that Ed played the Templeman recordings to and they shot into the studio the next day tryin' to record and release a Halenized version of the tune. Hence, YRGM being released as a single prior to VHI hitting the shelves.

As for BDLMA, I dunno? Although I dig the track, it's nothing spectacular and as
            Ed even stated during the recording of DD, the song sounds dated and I have to agree. Something like "Big Troubles" would've been a better choice. However, VHI is what it is and with that being said, I wouldn't change a thing.
            See, I'm in the minority in that I think the Kinks' original is better. I usually say that about most covers, in fact. Even if VH covers 'em.

Then again, I'm a huge Kinks fan. VH is really just one big ol' puddle of Cream, Kinks, and Zep all mixed up ala Jim Dandy and Shreddie Eddie.

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

See, I'm in the minority in that I think the Kinks' original is better. I usually say that about most covers, in fact. Even if VH covers 'em.

Then again, I'm a huge Kinks fan. VH is really just one big ol' puddle of Cream, Kinks, and Zep all mixed up ala Jim Dandy and Shreddie Eddie.
              Well, that's completely understandable since you were already a Kinks fan prior to hearing VH take the song to a different stratosphere.

I like your analogy EXCEPT you're forgetting what Dave brought to the table. It was NOT just a bit of Jim Dandy's stage moves that Dave emulated early on.

Dave brought in the blues, comedy, barbershop, P.T. Barnum and a uniqueness that no other lead singer has done. That's what makes his collaberations with Edward so special and where it was totally absent, lacking and run of the mill when he left.

You had EVH's musical prowess mixed with Dave's uniqueness that brought something to the table, the likes of which we'll never see again. Classic Van Halen has often been imitated.

Then Dave bails, they bring in some generic, opening act, neverwas and a just plain "THERE" replacement and the music becomes boring and nothing special.

The chemical reaction with Ed's riffs and Dave's vocal and lyrical ability just created a magic. A magic that we're all still blown away by some 25 years later and after the fact.
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

To re-emphasize my point, let's take the SAME "band" playing one of Dave's tunes... Like ATBL, Jump, Panama or what have you? Then try listening to Spam "sing" them!!! It's gawwd awful and should be illegal. The clown not only butchers them but he sucks the life out of them. That ALONE shows how vital Dave was to what made VH epic.

People say, "Golly Jeepers, I wonder if Dave would ever sing a Van Hagar song?" FUCK NO!!! Why? Cos they suck!!!

Bottom line, the reason Hagar was always "uncomfortable" and "didn't like" doing Van Halen tunes is cos he was afraid. He KNOWS that he cannot hold a candle to those classics. The songs are bigger than ANYTHING he's ever written or been a part of. They scare the shit out of him.

How pathetic must it be for a man to spend his entire career being asked what it's like trying to fill shoes that he was never able to do? Honestly, that will follow him around until the day he dies.

On his tombstone it will read "Sammy Who? and in captions "Oh yeah, the guy who replaced DAVID LEE ROTH!!!"

EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Van Squalen
                  Groupie
                  • Mar 2005

Wait..aren't we talking CVH here? VH 1 and Fair Warning, late seventies black magick voodoo? Why bring Sambo into it?

Focus, Dex.

Bringin' it back...whoever thinks VH 1 trumps FW is one high muthafucka.

Comment

• MAX
                    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Why bring Sambo into it?
                    Just cos I can and I feel good about it.
                    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      Oh for fuck's sake...

the same vibe as Montrose?

THE SAME VIBE AS FUCKING MONTROSE?

You might as well be calling Classic Van Halen gay...
                      Hahahahaha and FUCKING HA!!!

I've always gotten pissed and been BEYOND bewildered ever since I joined this VH Online Community regarding the musical "merits" of Montrose.

First of all, I'm a HUGE fan of music PERIOD and of all kinds!!! Secondly, I'd NEVER, EVER even heard of Montrose until I joined these sites. Sure, I recognized a cupla of the songs but for people even having the audacity to include them with Van Halen I is not only ludicrous but fucking silly and dumb!!!

It reminds me of dudes who try to say that the band "Yes" was more on the ball or the grasp of what Pink Floyd actually accomplished to the masses. Sure Yes had some of the best musicians but so what?

Montrose is/was Morose and the ONLY reason it's mentioned in the same breath with Van Halen is cos Ted Templeman produced it, end of story.

Fuck, I give more crediblity and lasting power to The Fucking Doobie Brothers (Also produced by Teddy and Donn Landee) than Morose.

Rock Candy, Bad Motor Scooter? Give me a fucking break...

All that album was is for someone who wants to win a classic rock version of Trivial Pursuit or someone practicing their wager for the final round of Rock and Roll Jeopardy.

Morose is remembered, heralded and has it's rightful place in rock history...

Where is that right now and what's that sound?

Yup, that's the crickets chirping and some redneck pissing outback the singlewide as "Bad Motor Scoorter" plays on his 8-Track in the background...
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

Working...