Vai kicks Ed's Ass

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guwapo_rocker

Neither of the two is as good without Diamond Dave telling them what to do and structuring their songs!!!

Comment

• dave_is_vh
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by estang74
      what else did eddie do that was innoventive?
      Oh, and by the way, "innoventive" is not a word!
      "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• dave_is_vh
        Sniper
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
        Neither of the two is as good without Diamond Dave telling them what to do and structuring their songs!!!
        Without Dave they're nothing.

Comment

• darkknight
          Groupie
          • Mar 2004

Ed is not the first one to use the tremolo bar the way he did. Hendrix was doing it a decade before Ed even thought about it.

And that's another thing that pisses me off about Ed. He never acknowledges Hendrix as an influence. It was always Clapton. He always said Hendrix was too weird. I've got live bootlegs of Hendrix and there are times where he sounds just like early VH with the tone and some of his licks. Ed is just too insecure to acknowledge anyone that might be better than him.

Comment

• Roth-Halen
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Steve Vai Has said that he's famous thanks to EVH. He also admits EVH is one of his biggest influences. I'll find the guitar world magazine I have, and I'll let you know waht issue that was.
            Yu shouldn't even compare Vai with EVH. He might play faster and cleaner. But faster doen't mean better. Vai has a couple of really soulful solos like, blue powder and ladies night in bufalo. Few good ones, but other than that I wouldn't put it on the same league as VH.
            He is on Malmsteen,Satrriani, kind of league. Nobody touches EVH exept maybe Hendrix, which I dont think was as creative but what the hell!

Comment

• Roth-Halen
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

If it wasn't for eruption solo, probably there wouldn't be Satrianis or Manlmsteesn, or Vais. Sure, many people play faster now, but where were they when Eruption came along? Still peeping on their pampers musically speaking.

Comment

• darkknight
                Groupie
                • Mar 2004

Hendrix wasn't as creative as Eddie? LOL!!!

Comment

• alexpgrimes
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jan 2004

I watched a Steve Vai concert on VH1 classics the other night. I honestly didn't care for it. It was good to see Billy Sheehan playing with him. He did do a decent cover of fire but Jimi Hendrix. That was the high point for me.
                  If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• Roth-Halen
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2004

Where they playing with Roth in that VH1 concert or not really?
                    aT WHAT TIME DID YOU SEE THAT SHOW!

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                      Sniper
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by darkknight
                      Ed is not the first one to use the tremolo bar the way he did. Hendrix was doing it a decade before Ed even thought about it.
                      If you think Hendrix and Ed use the whammy bar the same way, you need to get your hearing checked!

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                        Sniper
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Roth-Halen
                        If it wasn't for eruption solo, probably there wouldn't be Satrianis or Manlmsteesn, or Vais.
                        Yngwie is influenced by Blackmore and classical, not Ed.

Also, as for playing fast technically difficult things, Al Di Meola was doing things in the early/mid 70's that was far beyond anything Ed ever did.

And for all you guitar fools out there, both Yngwie and Al Di Meola play with tons of feeling and emotion. Just because you are technically proficient does not mean you are emotionless.

Comment

• Roth-Halen
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2004

You are right about Malmsteen and Dimeola. They also play with alot of soul. But I still think that EVH's influence on Vai and Satriani is really obvious. Also I 've seen Malmsteen doing tapping just like EVH' eruption solo. I'm sure you've seen that, havent YA? there are several concerts that show Malmsteen doing the ECH shit. So I think He as EVH INFLUENCE AS WELL

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

"NO NO NO!!!! VAI didnt kick Ed's ass........VAL kicked and kicks Ed's ass! ANd IT WORKED.........did you hear some of the solo's during my TV movies?!"

Comment

• dave_is_vh
                              Sniper
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Roth-Halen
                              You are right about Malmsteen and Dimeola. They also play with alot of soul. But I still think that EVH's influence on Vai and Satriani is really obvious. Also I 've seen Malmsteen doing tapping just like EVH' eruption solo. I'm sure you've seen that, havent YA? there are several concerts that show Malmsteen doing the ECH shit. So I think He as EVH INFLUENCE AS WELL
                              I agree. Yngwie does some tapping and some of his whammy bar stuff is Ed influenced. Also, Vai definitely has a strong Ed influence.

Comment

• darkknight
                                Groupie
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by dave_is_vh
                                If you think Hendrix and Ed use the whammy bar the same way, you need to get your hearing checked!
                                You're right. Jimi was far more imaginative.

Who said they used it the same way? I merely said Hendrix was doing things on the guitar when Ed was still shitting himself. Where do you think Ed got his ideas for the tremolo from? Clapton? Yeah, whatever.

Comment

Working...