Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hang em high
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Jan 2007

KISS was a huge success because of the nostalgia factor. hey, when they last toured w/Criss and Ace(79,80?), it was no where near the 96 reunion.

As time passes by, people forget, and legends grow, the musical landscape changes, and then nostalgia kicks in

As in 96, rock in roll as we know it doesnt exist. that is why people are drawn to nostalgia, childhoods, etc. When roth left, VH was probably the biggest band in the world(with the excpetion of michael jackson but he is not a band). now, take everything into consideration. rock sucks now, VH was the biggest band when they broke up, their legend has grown(even though they have been a fucking mess lately), and people flock to everything from the 80's/70's now. If anyone here doesnt think, beyond a reasonable doubt, that this tour will not be a HUGE freaking success, then pass me what your smoking because I wanet some

"Everybody wants some.......how about you"

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

No thanks...

Had the real thing...

I'll pass this time...

Dude, it's like you're oblivious to every reply you had in this thread...

Didn't you notice conmee graciously handing your ass to you on a platter ??

Comment

• LOS35
        Roadie
        • Mar 2004

As much as alot of you hate MA, he has to be there to handle those notes that Dave can no longer hit!

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

KISS sold out Tiger's Stadium in 1996 in one day.

Van Halen 2007 won't be selling out any stadiums.

Even WITH Mike, there's just no way Van Halen are gonna sell as many tickets and make as much money, even at today's inflated ticket prices vs. ten years ago.

1996? Van Halen would have given KISS a run for the money.

Now? Not so much. Diminished fanbase and public interest after a decade of fuckups.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLRiscool
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Mar 2005

This reunion won't come CLOSE to the KISS reunion. For starters, that tour netted Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley $36 million. Secondly, that tour lasted a year and a half. Do you really think DLR and EVH can get along for that long? Thirdly, Mike isn't in the band, so it's not an official reunion in my eyes, whereas you had all four original members for the KISS reunion. Finally, KISS and Doc McGhee hyped the reunion up so much that fans were almost having orgasms hearing about it. Really the KISS reunion started with the KISS Konventions when Peter Criss hopped onstage in L.A., which led to the whole Unplugged thing, that turned into the reunion tour. We find out about the VH "reunion" via a Billboard.com report...what??? No big announcement on the website? No big press conference? Listen, I'm EXCITED about Dave being back in the band, but let's tap the brake just a bit. This 40 date tour will do very well, and I can see them extending it further if the band can get along, and I suspect that Mike will be brought back at some point cos I don't think Wolfie can handle a full fludged tour at 15. That's asking too much. Plus, you're forgetting what Mike brought to the band. His backing vocals were amazing, not to mention his bass playing. He's a great musician and he is needed in VH. But, I will be there when they swim thru Dallas!!!

Comment

• DLRiscool
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Mar 2005

The KISS reunion was successful for several reasons:

1. All 4 original members were a part of it.
              2. The hype machine created by Simmons, Stanley, and McGhee was so big that it got every KISS fan excited.
              3. The KISS fans are very loyal (I should know, I am one), and have been bitching about a reunion for years (sound familar?)
              4. All 4 original member were 100% dedicated to making it work. Watch the DVD Second Coming and you can see a sample of the time they spent rehearsing and prepping for the tour. It showed when they took the stage.
              5. No matter how great the Van Halen tour is, it will not generate $36 million for the band. I know money isn't the deciding factor, but it can be used as a measuring stick. In other words, you have to sell a lot of tickets and shirts to generate $36 million for a year and a half tour.

Having said all of this, I like the idea of Roth being back, but I am also weary cos these guys have been dicking us around since '96 with claims of reuniting, etc. Based on recent history, I can't see DLR, EVH, and AVH getting along for a long period of time. Then again, I didn't think KISS would be together for 5 years before Peter and Ace left the band again. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

• Plexi Head
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2005

Re: VH tour will be bigger than KISS in '96

Originally posted by hang em high
                Just wait and see

so what Ed is a drunk- name me one person in rock that isnt?

I somehow ended up backstage at Muse last night, a friend of mine knows their front of house guy, and they would have to be the cleanest living, mineral water sipping, fruit munching band ever.

God damn can that dude play guitar though.
                "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Comment

• hang em high
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  No thanks...

Had the real thing...

I'll pass this time...

Dude, it's like you're oblivious to every reply you had in this thread...

Didn't you notice conmee graciously handing your ass to you on a platter ??
                  handed my ass to me on a platter? wake up dude. im letting everyone know my opinion, vh will be bigger than kiss(if they tour as long). wait and see. goodnight

Comment

• General Hina
                    Sniper
                    • Feb 2004

Re: VH tour will be bigger than KISS in '96

Originally posted by hang em high
                    Just wait and see
                    It really doesnt matter that Anthony will not be playing Bass.
                    The magic is Dave and Ed

Amphitheatres? Just to let everyone know once tix really do go on sale for this tour, oncve they start selling out in like 5 minutes, more shows will be added in bigger venues

Fuck, if they would have gotten back together 10 years ago when that whole MTV fisco happened, I could have honestly said that the tour would freaking BLOW out what the Police are trying to do now. But i dont think it is 10 years too late for our guys

Remember, dave was the best front man in hard rock- period. Ed was/is the best guitarist since Hendrix-period. so what Ed is a drunk- name me one person in rock that isnt?

and when the tour kicks ass fucking gene simmons will probably be like' hey, i discovered them;
                    No FUCKING WAY will it be bigger than the KISS reunion. AND it does matter that MA is not there.

Also... no bigger venues will be added. I bet they won't even play the Staples center here in Los Angeles and Van Hagar played there 2 nights in a row in 2004!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Comment

• lafours
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2004

I agree Kiss took that tour totally serious..

Not only did they want a big paycheck..but they actually made the effort to give there long time and new fans the ultimate payoff...

A real classic Kiss show...with hype, staging, marketing , setlist all included... those guys are marketing geniouses and it showed..

I remember even simmons was working out , Ace and Peter were trying to be sober, they were making a real effort and it payed off

that show brought everything a Kiss fan would want to see at a concert..

Do you think Ed is gonna try to get his head in check , bring his playing up to form and worry about giving the fans his best?

I wouldnt bet on it...

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lafours
                              I agree Kiss took that tour totally serious..

Not only did they want a big paycheck..but they actually made the effort to give there long time and new fans the ultimate payoff...

A real classic Kiss show...with hype, staging, marketing , setlist all included... those guys are marketing geniouses and it showed..

I remember even simmons was working out , Ace and Peter were trying to be sober, they were making a real effort and it payed off

that show brought everything a Kiss fan would want to see at a concert..

Do you think Ed is gonna try to get his head in check , bring his playing up to form and worry about giving the fans his best?

I wouldnt bet on it...
                              Yup.

KISS did everything necessary. Their setlist covered everything. The stage show had all the best elements of their classic shows. Everyone's playing was worked on and worked on. They were complete professionals. They had a hype machine going...hell, four covers of SPIN magazine, FORBES, etc. MTV had specials on the opening night. They got the biggest bands of the day to open for them (including ALICE IN CHAINS, in their last-ever gigs). Ace and Peter were indeed ordered to stay sober. All the band members that needed to lost a few pounds.

Meanwhile, Ed makes a return to the stage three years ago and can't even stay sober, presenting fans with the worst playing of his career...even having a temper tantrum at the last gig.

How the hell is this going to even compare? It's not even the original thing.
                              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• stillwaitin
                                Roth Army Recruit
                                • Jan 2007

i can fully see the not real thing without mike...and i`d prefer him to be there...BUT.....hardcore 'im not going' people will be such a miniscule minority it will make no difference.
                                when dave left some fans did but they still sold tickets and these weren`t all hagar fans that followed him to vh,the core of those will still go as it`s still vh plus there will be more just roth fans go than just sammy fans!
                                WOLFIE- this may be deciding factor,no one knows if he can play unless he`s been round your kennel for a personal audition so you can`t say he`s good or shit!
                                BUT-if he is shit, media will focus on him and tour will fall flat!
                                if he`s good media will be interested and harp on about father/son which will only generate more interest and make it bigger!
                                remember most critics in media won`t be pro or con before they see it!

Comment

Working...