X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I've been playing Guitar and Bass in various gigging and recording situations for well over 25 years and I don't think I could be able to fill in for Mike at the level that is REQUIRED for such a gig as this...

well, when you're right you're right.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Much less a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD KID!!!

That was my point...

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
        Oh, bugger... :eek:
        The U.S. of A. will never be the same after we're through with her.

Prepare the invasion!!

*Cue: "The Immigrant Song" *
        And with "U.S. of A." I mean "United Socialites of Awe"...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Much less a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD KID!!!

That was my point...

Taint no big Ting don't worry 'bout Tit mon. Now lets zee what the cards zay.

hmm ohh.
          oh well cards zay you iz a blowhard and the kid blow you away.
          Tits the cards sayin it not me mon.
          no get excited mon.

Comment

• PHOENIX
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Sung to the tune of Love Walks In from 5150

ROTH WALKS IN

Contact is all that it takes ( Eddie and Dave putting Differences aside)
            To change your life, to lose your place in time ( Hagar and Mike gone)
            Contact. Asleep or awake ( Eddie wakes the fuck up)
            Coming around you may wake up to find ( Roth is what the fans want) )

(Ooo-ooo-ooo)
            Questions deep within your eyes ( why didnt they do this sooner?)
            (Ooo-ooo-ooo)
            Now more than ever, you realize ( CVH RULES )
            (Ooo-ooo)

And then you sense a change ( Wolfgang)
            Nothin' feels the same ( Mikes not there)
            All your dreams are strange ( The song Dreams belonged on a Journey album!)
            Roth comes walkin' in
            Some kind of alien ( Hagar, he didnt belong there)
            Waits for the opening ( Dave jumping off the drum riser)
            Simply pulls a string ( Eddie playing CVH again)

Another world, some other time (Van Hagar a distant memory)
            You lay your sanity on the line (Wolfgang on Bass)
            Familiar faces, familiar sights ( Roth Back)
            Reach back, remember with all your might ( The classic songs that put them on the map)

(Ooo-ooo-ooo)
            Ooh, and there she stands in a silken gown ( Hagar's bride Mike Anthony)
            (Ooo-ooo-ooo)
            Silver lights shinin' down ( Eddies guitar solo)
            (Ooo-ooo)

And then you sense a change ( No Van Hagar songs played )
            Nothin' feels the same ( Mike's Missing )
            All your dreams are strange ( Ya the song Dreams was fucking Stupid)
            Roth comes walkin' in ( Finally)

Comment

• Jimmy Jingles
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

I am just as torn as anyone else here. I am pissed that Mike will not be part of the show. He was a huge part of the original legacy, and he will be sorely missed.

But at the end of the day, I support ROTH. Through good or bad, through better or worse, I will be there when they roll through the ATL.

BTW...I do still think that if they play at the RRHOF induction, they will play with Mike. And if they do, maybe Ed will realize then that Mike needs to be on this tour.

Who knows?
              23. That's the number of people Mr. T has pitied in the time it has taken you to read this sentence.

Comment

• kastco
                Roadie
                • Dec 2006

No, you're reading FORD's post wrong...

Idiot...
                You are correct. I appologize Ford.
                SUPPORT THE BIG RED MACHINE
                THE BEAST FROM THE EAST

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                  I'm pretty fucking torn...

As far as the Dave and Ed equalling McCartney and Lennon...

Sorry...there's no way that flies.

Sure, McCartney and Lennon were the masterminds behind the music, in the same way that Ed and Dave were...

but the way they connected was vastly different.

And the Beatles were the four...and you can ramble on and on and on about Pete Best and Stu Sutcliffe.

But the Beatlers were Paul and John and George and Ringo.

If you don't think that at the very least, George didn't have more input than neckbrace and BBQ sauce combined...then you aren't being very accurate.

Ringo brought shit to the band as well...

if only part of that fucking insanity from the women...when they performed.

Had John and Paul toured together without the other two...

1. THEY NEVER would have called it "The Beatles."

2. It would have been different...adult...deeper...

Now, you look at Dave and Ed and Alex and Mike...

The original Van Halen.

Personally...Mike is just a fucking bass player. Yeah, he can sing. Yeah, I liked the guy in the band. No, he isn't the greatest fucking bass player...but who fucking cares...I'm so sick of people saying that shit. Like Neil fucking Pert or Fucking Bonzo played for every fucking band.

But he was 1/4 of something that transcended music.

I'm so motherfucking sick of people saying it's Just Dave (which is ridiculous...because if that were the case...then you'd be happy WITHOUT a reunion), or Dave and Ed (which is equally ridiculous).

How many times did great musicians perform together in a band that was good...

BEFORE finding the tandem that made them BIGGER than the music.

Lightning in a bottle man...

10 years of lightning in a fucking bottle.

4 of them...

and I don't care what any of you say...if you take any of them out of the equation back in the 70's...and you have something very different.

Imagine Mike isn't there...and Ed is the fucking primary backup singer...

Imagine that Mike wasn't there with his laid back-ness...in your face partying...

but the fucker was happy...and there wasn't a whole lot of fucking happy in that band from the time it started.

You don't THINK THAT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH KEEPING THEM TOGETHER?

YOU DON'T THINK THAT NECKBRACE being there crank grabbing his brother didn't help Ed?

Musically...they all fit...for whatever reason. WEre there better?

Yeah...

so fucking what...

haven't any of you BEEN IN A BAND?

9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do with how good you are.

What if you had Sheehan in there WITH HIS FUCKING EGO?

Jesus Christ...this wouldn't have ended in 1985...

it would have ended in 1975 with a fucking Dirty Harry shootout.

So what does this mean for 2007?

The same fucking thing it meant in 2004...

going through the motions...

and dED getting Dave...so that people come and see the three Van Halens perform together...

I'll fucking go...

but jesus christ...quit downplaying what you all know is more than you are fucking admitting...

this is 10 fucking years past due...

and probably 7 years from being above quality night after night...

I hope I'm wrong...
                  Well said Poj, well fucking said....

As excited as I am for the upcoming tour, I just can't get past the "yeah, but" responses....

Just something missing for the entire aura of the reunion without Mike....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• PHOENIX
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

POJO will be going to the concert.

He'll be sitting on Conmee's handle bars at the tailgate party.

Comment

• General Hina
                      Sniper
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Marcus
                      Awesome to hear something official! Dave will be in fine form for sure, as will Alex. It's all up to Wolf and the old man.

The set list alone (whatever that is) will be worth it!
                      Dave will be in fine form!!!! Are you serious? He'll be using the same worn out stage patter from 1984 and his voice is in no way shape or form up to the task of a 40 date tour. PLUS!!! Without new music coming out this is the biggest cash grab in the history of rock'n'roll tours.

Comment

• General Hina
                        Sniper
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                        I'm pretty fucking torn...

As far as the Dave and Ed equalling McCartney and Lennon...

Sorry...there's no way that flies.

Sure, McCartney and Lennon were the masterminds behind the music, in the same way that Ed and Dave were...

but the way they connected was vastly different.

And the Beatles were the four...and you can ramble on and on and on about Pete Best and Stu Sutcliffe.

But the Beatlers were Paul and John and George and Ringo.

If you don't think that at the very least, George didn't have more input than neckbrace and BBQ sauce combined...then you aren't being very accurate.

Ringo brought shit to the band as well...

if only part of that fucking insanity from the women...when they performed.

Had John and Paul toured together without the other two...

1. THEY NEVER would have called it "The Beatles."

2. It would have been different...adult...deeper...

Now, you look at Dave and Ed and Alex and Mike...

The original Van Halen.

Personally...Mike is just a fucking bass player. Yeah, he can sing. Yeah, I liked the guy in the band. No, he isn't the greatest fucking bass player...but who fucking cares...I'm so sick of people saying that shit. Like Neil fucking Pert or Fucking Bonzo played for every fucking band.

But he was 1/4 of something that transcended music.

I'm so motherfucking sick of people saying it's Just Dave (which is ridiculous...because if that were the case...then you'd be happy WITHOUT a reunion), or Dave and Ed (which is equally ridiculous).

How many times did great musicians perform together in a band that was good...

BEFORE finding the tandem that made them BIGGER than the music.

Lightning in a bottle man...

10 years of lightning in a fucking bottle.

4 of them...

and I don't care what any of you say...if you take any of them out of the equation back in the 70's...and you have something very different.

Imagine Mike isn't there...and Ed is the fucking primary backup singer...

Imagine that Mike wasn't there with his laid back-ness...in your face partying...

but the fucker was happy...and there wasn't a whole lot of fucking happy in that band from the time it started.

You don't THINK THAT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH KEEPING THEM TOGETHER?

YOU DON'T THINK THAT NECKBRACE being there crank grabbing his brother didn't help Ed?

Musically...they all fit...for whatever reason. WEre there better?

Yeah...

so fucking what...

haven't any of you BEEN IN A BAND?

9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do with how good you are.

What if you had Sheehan in there WITH HIS FUCKING EGO?

Jesus Christ...this wouldn't have ended in 1985...

it would have ended in 1975 with a fucking Dirty Harry shootout.

So what does this mean for 2007?

The same fucking thing it meant in 2004...

going through the motions...

and dED getting Dave...so that people come and see the three Van Halens perform together...

I'll fucking go...

but jesus christ...quit downplaying what you all know is more than you are fucking admitting...

this is 10 fucking years past due...

and probably 7 years from being above quality night after night...

I hope I'm wrong...
                        This is the single greatest post in DLRarmy history.

Bravo,
                        General Hina

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                          Any sadness you guys feel towards no mike,
                          replace it with this overwhelming feeling of joy,
                          NO MORE VAN HAGAR !!!

(Hey its workin for me !)
                          Yep, don't fucking care.

Eddie + Dave = Me being happy.

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                            Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

We're all forgetting who IS Van Halen....

Comment

• Figs
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

I'm there. Gimmie Dave & Ed and I'm there. Sucks that Mike won't be there, sucks more that his son replaced him, but I take what I can get. Maybe they can hide some backup singers offstage....

Comment

• Fairwrning
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Jesus H. Christ Pojo....ease up and light the fuckin' torch..it's just a bass player

This will turn into a trainwreck.no way this goes more than 1 tour..Ed and Dave hate each other and that's all there is to it...

Ticket prices will decide the fate of this thing..keep it reasonable and people will come..dont try the same shit as a couple of years ago.
                                Of course, having Roth back in tow will double the sales...and for God's sake...open with "On Fire"

Comment

Working...