Michael Anthony is never mentioned in the bass player community.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Here, here!

I'm sure that Wolfie can nail an open E String with perfection. He probably came out of the birth canal with a guitar pick in his hand!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
      Bass Player is the LUCKIEST mofo in rock history....

They could have taught a Chimp to play his bass lines...or EVH...same thing.
      LOL! The monkey trainer was no other than Dave Roth. Now the monkey has a new master and has turned gay.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kamaboko
        Ed wouldn't know what to do with a great bass player anyway, so I see this as moot point. MA was perfect for the job; be low key, sing backup, and let Dave and Ed hog all the spotlight.

There are plenty of bass players that made bank in bands that weren't stupendous players. A few that come to mind are Cliff Williams and Ian Hill.
        All Ed cares about is the bassplayer can carry his golf clubs and light his cigarette for him.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
          Sniper
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
          Bitch bitch bitch. Michael Anthony is a solid bass player and his BVs helped make the classic VH sound
          I totally agree! As a bass player myself, metal/hardrock is the easiest music to play, just follow the guitar players. Mike had to keep the rhythm section in place, while Eddie did his thing. Playing in the pocket is not that easy. Dont listen to songs like RWTD, YRGM or ATBL, listen to songs like Romeo Delight, Fools, Light up the Sky or even Beautiful Girls to get a feel of good pocket bass playing. I had a harder time learning the groove to the pre-chorus from "Unchained," than the fast middle part of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills." Mike and Gene Simmons are my main influences. Don't get me wrong, I love the technical bass players like Billy Sheehan, Stu Hamm and Victor Wooten to name a few. But don't ever underestimate the power of simplicity.
          https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Redballjets88
            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

that may all be true, and it is tough, bc i play bass and know that it is, but when Ed writes your bass lines for you it really isn't tough
            R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Yo, there's no denying (whatsoever) that MA's role in VH was cool. Fuck, I LOVE the basslines for WPCTS or STIL? and many others as well.

I've obviously BEYOND made my point in regards to his bassplaying and that's fine and dandola.

Now, let's address his singing, shall we?

Seriously, go plug in Largo and tell me that shit doesn't get on your nerves?

MA's nothing more than Minnie Mouse fucking PERIOD!!!

The more and more that people whine about his absence, the happier I am he's gone and I wont have to stand next to these people during the upcoming shows.

Fuck, good riddance and go listen to The Other Half since y'all love listening to their voices. UGHHHH!!!

Jumpin Jiminy, I'm just thinkin' back of when someone posted that Youtube spot of MA "singing" SGMAD on that 2004 flop.

Listen folks, there's a reason MA was never made a lead singer of any band. Also, since the sheep have always bought the bullshit about Spamella being WB's "first choice" LMFAO!!! If MA's pipes are/were so stellar, why didn't Teddy Templeman fire DLR on the spot and hire him (MA) when he first listened to the backing squealing?

Stupid, stupid, stupid...
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                As long as I'm being completely tasteless and terrible...

Fuck, I've gone this far so I'd better not bail out now...

I just stumbled upon this during the MA Google search.

Fine, I'm going to hell but I just can't resist.

Fuck, I'm terrible.

Nah bro that was gold.
                Sums a lot up, let's face it.

Comment

• MAX
                  Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Fuck this shit and will somebody tell me how to post the youtube clips?

Meanwhile, Somebody Get Me a Doctor!!!

Rothstyle and the way it's meant to be both played and sung...

not this fuckin' crap. Fuck, it sounds like two banshees getting gangraped whilst being circumcised... Fuckin' gawwwd awful... No wonder only the braindead think Haganthony can actually "sing?" Hey, if the vocal perfection of regurgitating a felchsnot 'tis cuntsidered talent by some, then fine... I just thank the dear lord above they wont be attending any of the upcoming shows.

Seriously... geezus...

Dear lord, I just sat through this a second time...

Some people are actually going to miss "Mad" Anthony on this tour?

Sorry but you're crezzi.
                  Last edited by MAX; 07-15-2007, 10:12 AM.
                  EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

just cut and paste the info in the embed field from YouTube into your message. no need for img or any of that.

ps I'm not watching mike sing sgmad.

Comment

• MAX
                      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Nah bro that was gold.
                      Sums a lot up, let's face it.
                      Thanks bro cos I know it's kinda mean.

The link came up when I was Googlin' MA, I felt my hands were already, somewhat bloody? It's just a degree.

Anyway, on the dark side, it's rather amusing.
                      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                        just cut and paste the info in the embed field from YouTube into your message. no need for img or any of that.

ps I'm not watching mike sing sgmad.
                        K, I'll try the first part later cos I think it's too late to edit the post?

My dear friend, you HAVE to watch and suffer the MA shit. WHY? So, you can help defend how his further absence 'tis not only alright but both fucking necessary and a Godsend!!!
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                          K, I'll try the first part later cos I think it's too late to edit the post?

My dear friend, you HAVE to watch and suffer the MA shit. WHY? So, you can help defend how his further absence 'tis not only alright but both fucking necessary and a Godsend!!!

I saw him kill I'm the One.

I'd rather have the kid at this point. I just meant if it's just a 40 date thing with Dave then Mike should be just for the Classic thing, or for the Purists.
                          I just don't know if MA's standards are where they should be quality-wise.

I think Wolf kicks Ed's ass to be better on guitar due to him showing him the nuances of Ed's old solos on his IPod.
                          This way we know the guitar side of the equation is covered (as long as Eddie doesn't use his sustainer every third note :eek.
                          Personally, I just want them to do the best shows they can and however that is accomplished is the Right way regardless of who did this and who said that.
                          And if there's healthy competition Dave will want to give 300% as well .

Comment

• letsrock
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2007

Mike never will be spoken of in the Bass community.
                            Other than solid bass lines, what exciting recorded stuff has he done?

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Was always the biggest goof back in the garage band days of the early 1980s to get stuck on bass (same as Nitro is experiencing, where there's usually 3 or 4 guitar players, and maybe a guy who is actually a drummer by choice - "Okay, who's gonna sing, who's gonna play bass", etc.) and say "Let's do RWTD!" then do the E...E...E...E... intro.

Can't even remember watching the guy during the 1984 show I saw other than (obviously) the bass solo (which was loud as fuck live) and when the band played RWTD, where right before the first verse Anthony crouched down and Roth used him as a bit of equipment to roll over (as seen in the Panama video).

Yes, his backing vocals were a part of the sound, but that's not referencing his bass playing.

Probably his best moment on record was Fair Warning, where he had a good sound and wasn't buried in the mix. Although many say he wasn't even playing on VH records as far back as then (tend to think it's bullshit far as CVH stuff goes)...

CVH had so much going on between Ed's guitar playing, Roth's vocals, slamming tunes and a great rhythm section that I'm not sure it was even necessary to have a Sheehan-esque bass player wailing away in the background. Shit, Judas Priest had some of the hottest tunes ever, and their bass lines weren't anything astounding. EVH was able to do so much that there just wasn't a need, to these ears, to have anything else being thrown in there, other than maybe mixing the bass up a bit more on the earlier records.

Clearly, the guy wasn't the most technically proficient rock bass player to come down the pipe, but he got the job done. Would the band have been any better with someone else in there? You're never gonna know that anyway. Alex wouldn't make my list of top 20 rock drummers of all time either, but somebody needed to be back there holding the fort down while Ed and Dave soared.

To put it in context, Sid Vicious made the cover off a bass player magazine a few years back, and a big chunk of the issue was devoted to answering the question of if he actually played on any of the Pistols records or if he could even play at all. Anthony has never made the cover of the same mag, and I'll be willing to bet he could run rings around Sid. And I'd also add that Simmons has made the cover of the same mag several times, and nothing he did was really much better than what MA did, IMO.
                              Last edited by Terry; 07-15-2007, 02:10 PM.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• kamaboko
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MAX

Seriously... geezus...

Dear lord, I just sat through this a second time...

Some people are actually going to miss "Mad" Anthony on this tour?
                                That whole clip struck me as a band that just doesnt' give a shit. Ed's in his world, MA and Sam and doing their thing, and Alex, well....he's doing the Alex thing.

Comment

Working...