• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

FORD and ELVIS together alone would be worth the admission,
    and good old Eye's in his hometown !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It would have been nice to go...oh well, after the new album at the next World Tour
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

How about this place?

T.S. McHugh's Irish pub & restaurant
        21 Mercer St.
        Seattle, Washington 98109

Phone (206) 282-1910
        Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• DLR'sCock
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Have a great time guys, and let's see some pics of your ugly asses at this one!

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
            How about this place?

T.S. McHugh's Irish pub & restaurant
            21 Mercer St.
            Seattle, Washington 98109

Phone (206) 282-1910
            www.tsmchughs.com
            I'm pretty sure that's where we met up before DLR's show at Bumbershoot back in 2001... I bought FORD a Guinness if I recall correctly
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Nov 2004

How about 6:30 @ T.S. McHugh's?
              Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, that should work. Assuming I can paddle upstream far enough to actually get there. This weather is fucking lame.
                Last edited by FORD; 12-03-2007, 05:10 PM.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Nov 2004

Yes, some real nasty shit out there. I am going to leave work (on the eastside) early today.

See you at the Pub. I will probably have my Roth Army "It ain't Van Halen..." shirt on.

Comment

• gorndog
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Feb 2007

OK. Here I go with my review and thoughts of tonights show in Seattle. Let me start by saying that I have seen every VH tour with Dave except the 1978 one. In person, and that includes the '83 US festival. The show ...
                    I'll start by saying Edward Van Halen is a monster on the guitar. I agree with those who think he should stick with his white/cream colored guitar, it sounds worlds better than the others. OK...they hit you with those first three songs and you swear you are in heaven. You Really Got Me, I'm the One, and Runnin with the Devil, BAM. First impressions are nothing short of AMAZING. I will not go into every song and bore you all, I will just cover what I thought was most impressive. The songs off of VH II, Doctor, Beautiful Girls, and Dance the Night Away, all sounded and seemed to go over with the crowd great. Everybody Wants Some, Panama, Unchained, and Ice Cream Man, also stood out for me. One thing I think everyone would agree on is that watching the You Tube videos of this tour do not in any way do it justice. The movement of the band is great. Dave and Ed seemed like the best of buds up on stage. Wolfgang, while maybe not perfect when it comes to stage presence, is far better than I thought he was going to be. Far better. Alex...I thought the drum solo was great, again far better than I was expecting. The sound was great from where I was sitting. The lighting fantastic. The video screen, the guys have learned to really use that. I thought it might detract from the show, but really it only adds. Yes there were a couple glitches, yes I'd switch out a couple of songs for different ones. But in the end Van Halen proved me right, I thought it would be great and it was. I'm tired, good night.

Comment

• gorndog
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Feb 2007

Shit...The most important part, I was leaving for last on purpose and forgot to put it in my post. DAVID LEE ROTH is the man, period. He sang like he has never sang. Seriously, he hasn't sounded this good since...I don't remember when. He still has IT. He really does. This is a man that seems thrilled to be on stage with Ed, Al, and Wolf. Dave is the ultimate showman. For as much as I was impressed with Ed tonight, I was equally with Dave. If the Madison Square Garden show or the Boston show or opening night were any better than Seattle, than I need to see it. On December 3rd 2007 Van Halen kicked ass.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

OK, I'm among the walking dead right now, so this is going to be a short review., not that I can add much to what Gorndog said above. Van HALEN exceeded my expectations of how good they would be, even after seeing a couple bootleg DVD's and numerous YouTube clips of this tour.

But then Seattle supported Van HALEN right out of the gate in 78, and I don't think they have forgotten that.

After braving the goddamn torrential downpour (and wisely avoiding parts of the highway said to be flooded I made my way to TS McHugh's Irish Pub. It was standing room only in there, and while Monday Night Football was playing on the TV's, it seemed obvious that most of the crowd was there for a pre-Van HALEN party. Didn't recognize anyone in the crowd at first. The ones I talked to were VH fans, but didn't seem familiar with the Roth Army Didn't ask them about Links or DDLR, because odds are, if they knew one, they would have at least heard of the others.

Eventually a guy showed up in a "Got Roth?" shirt, so I knew he was one of us. And I figured it was probably Demon Cunt, since he said above he would be wearing the shirt. Cool guy, but I already knew that from his posts in the Front Line

We got to Key Arena in time for the opening act, but decided to skip it. If it had been Bob Marley, I'm there, but Ky Mani's a little hip hoppish for my tastes. We weren't alone. Seemed like a good portion of the crowd was milling around near the concessions outside the arena floor

Talked to another group of fans there, and made the amazing discovery that there are people out there who are completely unaware that 1996 happened, and that Van HALEN released two new songs that year. He was cool though.Guy named Garth (not Brooks!) another old time VH maniac from the 80's.

We figured the opener would play about 45 minutes, 15 minutes or so for stage setup. We heard the crowd go nuts and then the thunder from the stage. Unfortunately it takes a while to get to the floor of Key Arena from the street level entrance, so by the time I found my seat, they were halfway through the second song.

No worries though, as previously said, the show was excellent with all four cylinders firing at their best. And fuck Santa's Douche or anyone else who says Wolfie ain't playing that bass.

I'm gonna go crawl away and die now.......
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• gorndog
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Feb 2007

One thing i wish I could of done was run into a couple people from the Army. I was at TS Mc Hugh's sitting at the bar drinking my Mac & Jacks and eating my shrimp from about 5 until 7. Very last seat on the far left. One day I will get the chance to meet you FORD, I enjoy your posts and views on many different matters. this place wouldn't be what it is without you. Eyes, my friend from '01, where were you? I hope you had fun.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Sounds like another stellar night.

Here's a review...

Still jumping (sort of): Van Halen
                            By Patrick MacDonald

Seattle Times music critic

It took them a few songs to get their engines revved up, but once they got going, the newly reunited Van Halen roared like the fine rock machine they were in their heyday 30-plus years ago, Monday night at a sold-out KeyArena.

Eddie Van Halen was stunning on guitar, presenting a master class in speed, technique, variety and creativity, complete with detailed close-ups of his fingering on a huge, Cinerama-like video screen. His several long solo turns were riveting, and he brought fire and intensity to every song.

David Lee Roth has been away from the band for a quarter century but it seemed like he never left. He made you forget about Sammy Hagar (his replacement), every time he let loose his full-throated, full-on vocalizing. And he reminded the fans that he's 10 times the showman Hagar could ever hope to be.

Full review HERE
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• gorndog
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Feb 2007

Yes, even Patrick MacDonald of the Times understands. If you are reading these reviews and still have the chance to see an upcoming stop on this tour...these people are not lying, Van Halen are kicking ass, GO TO THE SHOW, you will happy you did.

Comment

• conmee
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Mar 2003

Gentlemen,

I was unable to meet prior as I had come back from the Portland show, and coming down off a cabernet and coke high, with two crazy sluts... but that's another story... I'm too fucking old to be doing lines of titties... uh, wait a minute... NEVER too old for that shit, but I digress...

OK... So I saw the Portland show two nights prior, and it was the first time I'd witnessed DLR and EVH on stage together in 23 years.... I think in addition to excitement, a sense of awe/wonder/closure permeated the audiences of both shows. The outpour of emotion and adulation for the band was undeniable, but also a sense of "Holy Fuck!!! What are we witnessing!?!?! Hell Hath Frozen Over!!!" Seriously, I'd say the crowd was mesemerized... It is also an interesting difference in that for the most part it was the same crowd that saw VH in the 80s, but now, people had their kids in tow, drove Bimmers and Lexus, and lived in the 'burbs, where they tear up the trees and name the streets after them! lol

So anyhow, both shows were fantastic, with the Seattle crowd slightly more energetic in my opinion. I was also Row 18 on the floor so much better seat than Portland. I could see DLR's sixpack abs and beads of sweat without the assistance of the projection screens, and I could see Wolfgang's acne... lmao... So I was plenty close.

The band came right out of the gate full throttle. Both shows had the same set list, but DLR and EVH did a little more improv/adlib with each other during what I'll call "The Blues interlude" which included DLR mimicking a Harley, EVH making monster sounds with his guitar. DLR giving EVH his props and due at every opportunity (interesting observation for me was how much more EVH took center stage and DLR was much more deferential - I don't think DLR is on his "best behvior" or a "short leash" - I think DLR is a damn good therapist and he knows what to do to keep EVH balanced and happy... so he really promotes the hell out of EVH and even WVH... from what I saw, DLR is pushing all the right buttons to keep EVH even keel... the man knows how to manage people... lol). Ok, and of course DLR really shows people what was missing during the Sammy years. DLR knows how to play to the crowd, to get the crowd behind him, singing, cheering, definitely the Toastmaster of the evening. The crowd was in his hands....

DLR told the same stories and had the same one-liners, but used the "I forgot the fucking words" in Panama in Seattle, but didn't in Portland. I really liked the touch of this old school street lamp that was hanging from the rafters illuminating the right side of the stage, making it look like DLR just walked in from out of a dark alley to play guitar and tell stories like a blues master... this was the beginning of Ice Cream Man and his famous story of Stan with the Ice Cream Truck and "Kenny" the neighborhood pot head/contact.... anyhow, it's little DLR influenced touches and things like that which make me believe this tour will last and that this version of the band has enough chemistry to possibly do an album at some point. The great thing about this tour is that I believe EVH is RE-LEARNING his old chops, his old songs, realizing for the first time in years how much fun all these old tunes are and how much fans really REALLY want to hear them and how much fans REALLY prefer the CVH era. I was next to a bunch of Hagaritas and they were cheering, singing songs, and comments like "DLR can still sing, wow! I'm surprised!" It was as if the Van Hagar koolaid IV was removed and they saw the real deal for the first time in their lives.

Apologies for the rambling... but I'm on green tea and painkillers today to get through work and detox... those sluts I partied with were aces!

Ok, again, back to the review. Wolfgang is a kid. He has little stage presence but it doesn't matter. He gets a couple highlight moments and it gives the audience a chance to really cheer for the kid and I think as he gains confidence, he'll do more. The crowd really supports him. From the opening of RWTD, to So This Is Love, he got his licks in and he held down the backing vocals just fine... I'm sure there is some sort of "processing" to make the backing vox fuller, but I did notice that sometimes when EVH missed getting back to the mic in time, you could tell the harmonies improved when he got back to the mic, so even if some of the vox are piped, it's clear that we're also hearing EVh and WVh. I think he could be more playful/interactive with DLR maybe ham up the "Cmon DLR give me a break" interlude, but he plays it relatively straight up.

Alex is ancient, but still holds down the fort. I think his drumming really is the foundation for EVH and WVH. I definitely don't think Alex could be easily (if at all) replaced... you can tell, musically, that it's a family jamming. Very good.

EVH was spectacular throughout.. I'd say it's still tough to pull off Little Guitars, but I was happy to hear it live... and Little Dreamer and parts of Jaime's Cryin' seemed to me the only songs where EVH's sound seemed off a bit.

DLR singing... As is Dave's way, he half sings/half speaks the lyrics. I've noticed that for some songs, it's as if he loses the melodies (more to the point, it seems he's in a much narrower vocal range), and so some of the lines didn't quite "pop" hard to explain really, and I was high, but basically, some songs are as dependent or MORE dependent on DLR's singing than EVH's playing... I thought Mean Street was an example of where DLR's cadence and vox on the album weave in and out with the guitar... but last night it was as if DLR was just singing over the music, if that makes sense?!?!? Fuck it. Basically it's not a complaint, just an observation, part of it being that DLR is older, he's lost a little range, ALTHOUGH he still hits some high notes occasionally.... He also doesn't do as many jumps as he used to, but fuck, the guy looks in terrific shape.... I gotta get back in the gym!!!!

So I'm stoked, still half-baked at work today (one of the ho's tells me to do a pinky full of coke this morning as a "pick me up" to get through the day... I passed, but now kinda regret it.... lol).... I bought three over-priced concert shirts... I liked the fact that I have a 2007 to match my 1984 shirt (with the eagle on front althogh the 2007 version doesn't include the sledgehammer exterminator in top hat)....

Overall, the band gets a 9.5 based on setlist, sound, playing, singing, crowd interaction. Only way to get a 10 would be to go back 20 years....

Two awesome shows in three days... what a great weekend, despite the shitty weather up here..

That is all.

Icon.
                                An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                                hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

Working...