Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Looks like flub has it pretty much covered.

A couple of other quickie things from memory...

There was no trace of Hagar in the arena, not even any "Sammy Who?" banners. The final nail has definitely been put in the Hagar-era coffin.

Of course, you had some numbnuts with Hagar-era shirts, and even Cherone-era shirts, but that doesn't count.

Dave threw out a new "Rothism" a couple of times, describing the new band as "3/4 original, 1/4 inevitable" which was pretty funny.

Also, during Eddie's solo, he started to tap out the intro to "Women In Love." I thought we were going to get a treat for a split second, but then he departed into other notes.

Eddie also broke out a yellow and black striped guitar at one point, and had the word "Philly" in yellow tape across the body behind the bridge. I saw that there was a word on there, and at first I thought it was some tribute to Dimebag, since the original black/yellow was buried with him. But when it got closer you could see it was "PHILLY." Very cool...and you had to really be looking to catch it in the closeups on the big screen!

The Frankenstrat was out for "Little Guitars" (NO INTRO on that one, by the way) and for "Jump" and possibly one other, but I can't recall.

The ending was very cool, with the glitter confetti explosion over the first 50 rows, if not more.

I'm sure there's more, and I'll post 'em up as I think of 'em (provided somebody hasn't already done so.)

Truly a historic night worthy of the praise that it is receiving. I hope to God that they continue on, but if this is really it, then I can finally close the book on Van Halen with a sense of satisfaction.
    Last edited by fryingdutchman; 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Other notes: Yes, Ed did play the black and yellow striped with PHILLY on it. Hey Lou(@ DDLR), I hear you sort of, but it is expected. I had these people that I think snuck up with their friends next to us, which I would normally have no problem with, but they were way too far into our seats(at one point my gal and i were covering the area of only one seat, then I fucking lost it) and that fat chick was annoying the fuck out of me, so I had to tell them twice to move into their area, because I knew they didn't have the tickets for that area. That distraction took away from the show a bit. I enjoyed the interaction with Wolf, and I found it cute. I thought that during Eddie's solo, the years of abuse did show, but that's ok.......it is no easy feat for any person to climb out of that hole, and he will only shine more as time goes on. The energy was inspiring to be a part of, but I am going to shy away from reviews and not think about the next show at MSG until it comes, so maybe I can have more of a surprised feeling from it.

Also, Dave did the jacking thing with a water bottle during Mean Street, albeit quite briefly as opposed to his solo gigs.

Boy are the Philly people fucking ugly fucks!!

GO GIANTS!!!

:devil:

Comment

• Hummarstra
        Commando
        • Feb 2004

flub and Ultraman, GREAT REVIEWS!!!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
          Boy are the Philly people fucking ugly fucks!!
          HEY NOW!!!

Don't paint with a broad brush, my brutha!

We're not all gargoyles!!

But unfortunately many are...

GO PHILLIES!!
          Last edited by fryingdutchman; 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM.
          Originally posted by perilouspete
          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Philly newspaper review...

Van Halen: reunited and worth the wait

By PATRICK BERKERY
            phillyBurbs.com

The statute of limitations on anyone willing to give their right arm to see David Lee Roth back with Van Halen expired with the parties' second botched reunion attempt back in the early '00s.

Yet another announcement earlier this year that Roth and Van Halen were joining forces once more, which was quickly followed by a postponement when Eddie Van Halen checked into rehab for alcoholism, certainly didn't help matters.

Still, that didn't make last night's show at the Wachovia Center - the third of their reunion tour which finally got off the ground last week - sound any less sweet, or keep anyone from going stark raving bonkers when they heard the opening riffs to classics like "Unchained" and "Panama."

As Roth explained early on, this wasn't really a reunion, per se. He called it "The New Van Halen. Three-parts original" (Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Roth), "one part inevitable" (Eddie's 17-year-old son Wolfgang, who replaced fired original bassist Michael Anthony). Roth then compared this "new" Van Halen to "watching 'Dragnet' on your iPod."

That rap came early in the two-hour show, in which Roth kept his trademark shtick to a minimum (save for the hilarious memory lane preamble to "Ice Cream Man"), allowing the band to move from song-to-song with little hesitation.

Some more Roth spice would've been nice, but it's hard to complain when the "less talk, more rock" approach made room for chestnuts like "Little Guitars" and "Atomic Punk."

The band established their rapid-fire m.o. right from the start. So show opener "You Really Got Me" quickly segued into "I'm the One," which roared right into "Runnin' With the Devil."

Eddie, looking as though he just came off the beach in white shorts and Chuck Taylor sneakers, flashed mile-wide smiles all night. He grinned with paternal pride as Wolfgang held down the bottom end and delivered the high harmonies to "Jamie's Cryin'" and "Dance the Night Away" like a seasoned vet. And Van Halen laughed as Roth looked on with typical mock amazement whenever Eddie casually tapped and picked his way through the innovative, dexterous solos that made him a certifiable guitar God.

Fans might have been forced to wait too long for their liking to see Roth and the Van Halens fire up their signature brew of stellar musicianship, timeless melodies, and hammy showmanship again. But as confetti rained down over the Wachovia Center and Roth rode a giant, phallic microphone at the conclusion of the show-closing "Jump" it seemed as though all was forgiven.
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
              Sniper
              • Jan 2004

WOW!! Nothing but great reviews everywhere they go!! I cant wait!! Hell after Kansas City I may just have to drive to St. Louis to see that show too!! Hmmmm

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

great reviews everyone...thanks!

Comment

• jgdrag
                  Sniper
                  • Jul 2005

The way it is suppose to be!

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

It's funny, noone can really lambast any of the shows so far. And they've only just begun!!!!!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

I am drooling...

heh.....heheh.......heh.....

*koff*

*pantpant*

*drooldrool*

*foamatthemouth even*

Comment

• BALLYJUNKIE
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Nov 2004

i wonder why they cant get woflie"s age right .... one review will say his 15 the other 17 ..... hes 16 jeez !!!

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

Another great review! Every review I've read so far has been brilliant. Great promo for the band. I wouldn't be surprised if every show on this tour sold out.

Comment

• MmboSlmrCasalad
                            Roadie
                            • May 2004

Review to come. Pics for now:
                            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

For some reason, they posted in reverse order; some are blurry, some are OK, some are good. Did my best with a smaller P&S digital camera.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

This recording sounds better than the first 2 shows.

Charlotte you could hear a lotta kick drum, but almost no bass.

Greensboro, the taper was far away from the PA, so you got more venue and crowd sound.

This show, the mix is just right. You can hear EVERYTHING!!!

Sounds like it could be a soundboard recording almost!

LOL!!

"Give us 2 hours, and we will give you a reason to take the rest of the week off!"

Uncle Dave is THE MOTHERFUCKING MAN!!!!

Who: Van Halen
                              Where: Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA
                              When: 2007-10-01
                              AUDIENCE RECORDING

Van Halen's 3rd show. Enjoy!

CD 1
                              01 You Really Got Me
                              02 I'm The One
                              03 Runnin' WithThe Devil
                              04 Romeo Delight
                              05 Somebody Get Me A Doctor
                              06 Beautiful Girls
                              07 Dance The Night Away
                              08 Atomic Punk
                              09 Everybody Wants Some!!
                              10 So This Is Love
                              11 Mean Street
                              12 Pretty Woman
                              13 Drum Solo

CD 2
                              01 Unchained
                              02 I'll Wait
                              03 ...And The Cradle Will Rock
                              04 Hot For Teacher
                              05 Little Dreamer
                              06 Little Guitars
                              07 Jamie's Cryin'
                              08 Ice Cream Man
                              09 Panama
                              10 Guitar Solo
                              11 Ain't Talkin''Bout Love
                              12 1984
                              13 Jump

Thanks to MikeRabbit at guitars101 for posting this kickass recording!!!

Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• PlexiBrown
                                Commando
                                • Mar 2006

Nice! Thanks Hardrock.
                                And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Comment

Working...