• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katie
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Nov 2004

VH 2007 V VH 1984

Is the VH of 2007 better than the VH 1984

Which version gives or gave you more bang for your buck.

What's your take?
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

For the buck?

Let's see...free ticket to the '84 tour.

No stop officially announced, but it's almost a foregone conclusion that there will be a 2nd leg to this tour and ticket prices are rather steep for the front row seats.

For the buck you say? I'll take the free ticket hands down. Now if you're meaning pure enjoyment factor...It would be the same as '84 or any other David Lee Roth concert that I've ever seen. I look forward to them and know that I'm going to see a great show.
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
      Commando
      • May 2004

The 1984 show was a huge spectacle. They were touring on a grounding breaking album and mass commercial success. They were the leaders of the hard rock, arena band movement. Motley Crue, Dokken, The Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and AC-DC all fell in line behind VH that year. They were in their physical, musical prime. I just remember that show kicking total ass. Everyone was talking about it the next day in school. I don't really think you can compare the recent tour with 84. 1984 was a massive production. 2007 is a scaled down production with a strong emphasis on the music. Their is nothing wrong with that, I just prefer these guys in their prime. I loved the Philly show and I am heading out to the Verizon Center tonight for a rematch, but if I could go back in time and relive their golden years, I would.

Comment

• Deklon
        Roadie
        • Jul 2007

Simple..'84 was all about the show and '07 is about the music. '84 was about celebrating VH's rise to number one and '07 is about the retrospect of their career. Each tour is special in it's own way.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

It's all subjectice really isn't it?

Difficult to say which is better or worse: they are older now and consequently the band is different (although I would argue that the essence is still the same) - whether it is "good" different or "bad" different is entirely a matter of opinion.

Having said that, the fans are older too and the music probably means something different to them now than it did in 2007. The 23 year wait surely adds to the expectation and the excitement, which probably means you're getting more "bang for your buck", no?
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• MrSwede
            Full On Cocktard
            • Aug 2005

It is all subjective, so here is my subjective opinion as I had the privilege to see both.

I will always remember 84 becuase it was my first big rock concert. Having said that, the 2007 show was the best concert I have ever attended. I got to bring my family, and it was like Christmas turned up to 11. I enjoyed it so much that I will attend another one in 08 if they can keep it together.

Bang for the buck? Again, that is rather subjective. In 84 I was 16 and had to depend on my parents financial contribution, so it was a fortune since I was broke. Life has been kind and $150 in 2007 is a bargain for the enjoyment received.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

The show I saw in 84 was memorable for the size of the production and it just being an event...of the many shows that came through that year, Van Halen was the one show everyone wanted to see.

Really haven't kept up with the setlists of the current tour, but there was a LOT of self-indulgence on the part of the band in 1984, and Roth in particular was hogging a lot of concert time by telling jokes, long road stories and the like. Between him and the drum, bass and a VERY long guitar solo, that was at least 30 minutes of concert time that could have been put to better use playing more tunes...

I mean, should I go and see the band this time around and they do drum and bass solos, it's not anything that's gonna knock me outta my seat. And about 5 minutes of Ed wanking alone onstage to Eruption is gonna suffice (the 1984 solo spot felt like it was at least a quarter hour long, and felt OVERLONG even at the time). And I'm really not gonna be bummed if Dave keeps the stage raps to a minimum.

I really like what I've seen so far from the youtubes, and would just like to go see the band play as many SONGS as they can fit into a 90 minute set, or however long they're playing this time around...just see 'em serve up as many of those great tunes as they can with some fire, heart and soul. It seems like they're making an effort and did put in a decent amount of rehearsal time pre-tour; the tunes sound good, almost far better than they have any right to after all the abuse various band members have inflicted upon each other and themselves.

Plus, 1984 wasn't even the best series of shows CVH did back in the day. Maybe the BIGGEST in terms of the media hype, but the rough edges had been sanded off a bit and the show came off as really streamlined and professional. Am actually looking forward to seeing how they handle the stuff now with twenty-odd years of age added to the mix.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• J Curling
                Head Fluffer
                • Mar 2004

Katie, first is that you in the photo? Secondly, are there any that hot looking VH fans in the UK?

Last, I am married, not trying to hit on you :-)

Oh, yeah, 1984 vs 1984... Saw VH 1984 in Stockhom Sweden, sound was horrible, playing sloppy.. they played like 6pm, Dave said "look at all the people here today" (!)...

And I saw Charlotte and Greensboro now, musically and setlist wise it kicked Sthlm's ass by far.. But I have listened to some bootlegs from the 1984 tour in the US and I think that probably would have been even cooler than now if you think about the energy, looks and the way they ruled the world.....
                The Hammerguy

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2004

1984 - $15.00
                  2007 - $150.00

Hmmm...
                  “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• naturochem
                    Head Fluffer
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
                    1984 - $15.00
                    2007 - $150.00

Hmmm...
                    Well, adjusted for inflation, & the massive change in life circumstances (um..for MOST of us anyway..), it ain't all that much more dough!! Hey, in '84 15bucks could get you a pretty good fuckin buzz!!

In the bay area, the VH venue had moved from Oakland to the Cow Palace in SF by '84...and the SF shows -- I never missed ANY CVH gig's in OAK/SF -- just didn't have the unbelievable energy that filled Oakland during EVERY VH show there.

Dave's birthday in '80 was incredible, but the 3 dates played in Oakland during the 'Fair Warning' tour in '81 had to be the absolute pinacle of the band's shows!

I know this has been posted before, but (despite the extra 4bars of intro..) drop down to "D" & tell me you've seen more energy elsewhere...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LfYjgcOaIUU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
                    CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• naturochem
                      Head Fluffer
                      • May 2004

OK....last one... (off topic)..
                      Hear about it later, Oakland...same tour.
                      <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPxjobLI898&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NPxjobLI898&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
                      CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• Antman
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Let's see, 1984- $14 ticket, $12 shirt, $8 for a case of Lowenbrau nips, $5 for a three finger bag of weed, original band, biggest rock band and tour at the time. 2007-23 years later, 3/4 original band, ticket prices to rival my mortgage payment, no new material. I'd say hands down 1984. BTW, finally got tix for tomorrow's show in Jersey. Still waiting on MSG.
                        When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

• Polk High
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

1984: 6 years old
                          2007: 28 years old

07 hands down.

Seen roth by himself, I'd rather just see that and be uprfont for 50 bones.
                          We're gonna leave you smokin like the slow guy in Chernobyl

Comment

• Combat Ready
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Mar 2007

Here is a little story for the Roth Army. I'm at the VH show in Oakland 81....Shitty seats, great show. I'll never forget it, best ever.

84---SF...Cow palace great seats...Um...No seats....Standing in the first fucking row, sweating, drunk, smoked, and more.....singing along to the classics. Best ever.

Next night, go home and my room mate has a girlfriend---with, yep a friend. Seems they had showed up the night before and were from out of state. Anyway--Long story short--we get friendly and a couple of years later we have a son---Ryan.

Anyway---Ryan turns 21 tomorrow---11-3.07. Although his mom and I parted comapany 20 years ago, Ryan and I remain close. We speak each day by phone, while living 300 miles apart. Best gift God could have ever given me....I'm very grateful.

Bottom line is---Ryan and I will be attending the Seattle concert via 5 star seating in one month. The more things change----The more they stay the same. Look for us---We'll be the good looking sons of bitches wearing the Roth army T shirts! Thanks for listening....Motherfuckers!

Oh Yeah---Dec 07---Best Ever Motherfuckers! Roth On!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

1984=Van Halen at their near commercial peak...

2007=Van Halen MachIV with Ed's teen son and a bunch of backing tracks...

You decide.

Comment

Working...