• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
    Earlier this year he had a wrap around his left wrist, one that is similar to others I have seen people where for nerve or tendon problems.
    Oh yeah! Good point... I forgot about that. Like I said, he did play very clean and focused - he just didn't seem to push it...
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Excellent review....

Van Halen Rocks South Florida
      Published February 15th, 2008

Eddie Van Halen Rules!

Little did I realize what a guitar monster Ed is. Let’s cut to the chase: Eddie Van Halen impressed me more with his technique than any guitarist since 1968, when I had the privilege of seeing the Jimi Hendrix Experience in Tampa.

Of course there was a lot more to the Hendrix mystique, but as a technical player, Van Halen is every bit as accomplished and inventive.

Don’t take my word for it. You have a second chance to see the reunited Van Halen live at 8 p.m. Tuesday at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise.

I generally avoid BankAtlantic because it is such a rip-off ($20 parking, $8 beer) and a hassle to get to, unless you take the Sawgrass Expressway.

Every so often it’s worth it. Van Halen is an example. The program is an unabashed “greatest hits’ package, starting with VH’s rendition of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.”

Bad boy “Diamond Dave” is back in the band’s good graces as lead shouter, and bassist Michael Anthony is out in favor of Ed Van Halen’s son, Wolfgang.

Wolfgang is just 16 but he’s learning the ropes and contributes to vocals with his dad. It rather heartwarming to see such an affectionate father-son act.

David Lee Roth got shortchanged on the vocal mix. The band plays at a (literally) deafening volume, and at times Roth was almost inaudible, and at other times Ed and Wolfgang overpowered him.

But you don’t go to Van Halen for pleasant harmonies; you go for raw power and bombastic glitz. Normally I don’t go for extended drum and guitar solos, but when you have Alex Van Halen, one of the best, most powerful drummers in rock, you don’t mind.

“Hot For Teacher” is my favorite VH number. I’ve long been amazed at how Alex keeps up the energy through the punishing dual-bass-drum pedaling. Seeing him do it live is even more impressive.
      “We’re playing nothing but the hits,” said Roth playfully. “The top of the pops.”

If you know VH, you know those 24 hits by heart, and Roth was encouraging audience sing-a-longs.
      Roth is in top physical condition, with six-pack abs. There is no flab on Eddie van Halen either, as his shirtless stance proves.

For me the most impressive display was Ed alone on stage, playing every inch, nook and cranny of his custom-built guitar, plugged into a wall of custom-made amplifiers with an EVH logo. Van Halen plucks and hammers with all ten fingers and even uses a drumstick to strike the strings and fret board. Ed even played himself by pulling out the guitar chord plug, ramming into his cheek, grinning like Goofy.

Before the concert began I spotted a fellow Boca musician, “Famous” Frank Ward and his son Patrick. Seated next to the Wards was an elderly couple.

“Hey Frank, did you bring your dad?,” I yelled.

“No,” he replied. “That’s Manny. He’s been a customer of mine for 20 years. This morning he came in for tires. He said, `I didn’t realize you played music.’ He asked if I had heard of a group called Van Halen. I said of course. He said `David Lee Roth is my nephew. Want to go to the concert? The only catch is you have to take me and my wife along.”

Tickets are still available at $49.50, $79.50 and $149.50.
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Douglas T.
        Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by VAiN
        Most of the solo consisted of tapping and Cathedral - which makes me think that Eddie may be having problems with his hands.
        He has been wearing this bandage at a few shows!<br>
        Originally posted by Bobby Van Halen

Comment

• Douglas T.
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

He could have just wore a blister on his hand and was protecting it!

Comment

Working...