Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

Re: Re: Van Halen turns down Rolling Stone!!

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
    and man, do THEY look old!!!
    LOL JIMMY PAGE is as old as my MOM

And...his oldest child is closing in on 40

Sorry Scarlet

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
      I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone, but a cover story would have been great global publicity for VH.
      what for? sell out sold out shows?
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Van Halen 2007 just doesn't need to bother with a lot of traditional press to sell tickets.

That's an old-model mentality at work.

Plus, the demand for this has been around for a long time. Specifically, the demand for Roth and EVH to be playing together onstage, which has been more than enough to overcome any fallout from Anthony's absence.

They did a press conference, announced the reunion and upcoming dates, and the rest has been taken care of by YouTube fan/concertgoer clips of various shows.

Turning down Rolling Stone these days isn't even close to the big deal it would have been twenty + years ago, even putting the bands relative standoffish nature with the mag to one side.

Fact of the matter is, Van Halen 2007 just plain don't need RS to get the visibility needed to fill arenas, so why bother?
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Veteran
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Terry

Fact of the matter is, Van Halen 2007 just plain don't need RS to get the visibility needed to fill arenas, so why bother?
          As if Led Zeppelin need the publicity??? Just do the fucking cover. It's a PRIVILEGE to be in such a position. And the publicity goes far beyond the reaches of the already existent fan-base. It resonates through the WORLD.

Look, if nothing else, it would piss the fuck out of Hagar and his fans. For that alone, wouldn't it be worth it?????
          RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
            what for? sell out sold out shows?
            No. They don't need any more press to sell out shows in North America, but if and when they take this show around the world then a mag like RS, with it's global readership, would help generate a lot of interest for a band whose profile has greatly diminished in many markets.

In Australia, it's almost impossible to buy a VH t-shirt, while t-shirts for bands like Kiss, GNR, Led Zep, Motley Crue, Ozzy are EVERYWHERE! You have teenagers buying them. And the only CVH stuff on the radio is Jump, Panama and You Really Got Me. Outside of their core fanbase, VH's profile here is very poor.

Some people here would still think Hagar is fronting them!!!

After the press conference there was a great burst of publicity in Oz for VH. Now it needs another shot. Mainstream print feature cover stories would be great for them to do.
            Last edited by Halen High; 12-03-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
              As if Led Zeppelin need the publicity??? Just do the fucking cover. It's a PRIVILEGE to be in such a position. And the publicity goes far beyond the reaches of the already existent fan-base. It resonates through the WORLD.

Look, if nothing else, it would piss the fuck out of Hagar and his fans. For that alone, wouldn't it be worth it?????

Hey, matters not to me if the band do the cover or not.

Part of my point is that people don't need RS to get any info about the band. Print publications are going the way of the dinosaur. In addition, why is it a privilege to currently grace the cover of Rolling Stone? Take a good, hard look at some of the people who have made the cover over the last decade; dubious honor nowadays, at best.

Far as Hagar and his fans go, I just don't give a toss. Not a hate scene. Just an indifference vibe. Got no use for him or his music. Subsequently, it matters not to me what Sammy thinks about Roth being back in the band. Wasted enough negative energy over Hagar and the whole Van Hagar vs. Van Halen nonsense. Big waste of time.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Halen High
                I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone, but a cover story would have been great global publicity for VH. I'm sure Dave wanted to do it. Perhaps the journalist insisted on asking the brothers too many hard questions.
                I have a feeling RS needs Van Halen more than Van Halen needs

RS at this point in history.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

Van Halen 2007 just doesn't need to bother with a lot of traditional press to sell tickets.

That's an old-model mentality at work.

Plus, the demand for this has been around for a long time. Specifically, the demand for Roth and EVH to be playing together onstage, which has been more than enough to overcome any fallout from Anthony's absence.

They did a press conference, announced the reunion and upcoming dates, and the rest has been taken care of by YouTube fan/concertgoer clips of various shows.

Turning down Rolling Stone these days isn't even close to the big deal it would have been twenty + years ago, even putting the bands relative standoffish nature with the mag to one side.

Should have read that first..

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2006

Hey, matters not to me if the band do the cover or not.

Part of my point is that people don't need RS to get any info about the band. Print publications are going the way of the dinosaur. In addition, why is it a privilege to currently grace the cover of Rolling Stone? Take a good, hard look at some of the people who have made the cover over the last decade; dubious honor nowadays, at best.

Far as Hagar and his fans go, I just don't give a toss. Not a hate scene. Just an indifference vibe. Got no use for him or his music. Subsequently, it matters not to me what Sammy thinks about Roth being back in the band. Wasted enough negative energy over Hagar and the whole Van Hagar vs. Van Halen nonsense. Big waste of time.

Good points one and all.

But think of it in terms of the Stones. jagger once commented in regards to being asked why they bother having corporate sponsorship, without it they know they can sell out the first two nights of a stadium, but whether or not the thrid night...who knows? the sponsorship gives it that extra boost.

And, fuck yeah, I would love to see them do the cover. if for no other reaosn, look who's been on it for the past several years! (Though it must be said, Vh IS presenting themselves as a nostalgia act, if for no other reason, that they're doing no new material, maintaining the same setlist night after night, etc etc. At least the Stones ALWAYS bring a new album out on the road and play a handful of songs from it at each concert.)
                    RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2006

Fuck Rolling Stone, they're irrelevent, useless, lame.
                      "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• jharp84
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

Fuck rolling stone FOREVER! When the "MIGHTY" is ready! It sure ain't gonna be a fuckin "hip-hop-d-fresh" half ass fake rock n'roll rag!

Comment

• BrownSound1
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Mar 2003

Rolling Stone panned Van Halen so many times it isn't even funny, so fuck them. The tour is doing just fine without any traditional press, so fuck it. Plus, there's less chance of someone's words getting twisted around and causing WWIII if they don't do any press.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
                            Plus, there's less chance of someone's words getting twisted around and causing WWIII if they don't do any press.
                            I believe there's already enough of that regarding the current political cabinet.:p
                            sigpic

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

most people get their news from the internet now anyways, and the day the tour was announced, it was on the cover of my yahoo page, still i would totally buy a copy of Rolling Stone If VH were on the cover!!

Comment

• BlimpyCHIMP™
                                Banned
                                • May 2004

WITHOUT NO NEW CD AINT NO NEW INTERBLABBS NKAY

SWAY IT BE
                                SWAY IDDIZ
                                Last edited by FORD; 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...