Van Halen, 1984 released 25 years ago today!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Taylor
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Listening to the whole thing. Not one of my Top 5 Halen albums though. I think it would have been better if Jump were left out and just released as a single. It doesn't go with the hard rock flavour of the rest of the album.

Just four songs I actually bother to listen to: I'll Wait, Top Jimmy, Girl, Drop Dead Legs. Panama, H4T and House on the rare occasion.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
      Listening to the whole thing. Not one of my Top 5 Halen albums though.
      If it's not one of your top 5 then you think it's the worst.

Comment

• Andy Taylor
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

That would be Balance.

Comment

• VAiN
          Use my hand, I won't look
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I was 10 years old in 1984 when I first heard Panama & Jump. I was an instant believer... I remember going out and getting VH II and Diver Down on cassette shortly after... imagine my dismay when Dave exited in 1985. I was unfortunate enough to 'grow up' during the spammy gaygar era... Even at the tender age of 10 I knew it would never be the same. I started playing guitar around 14 years of age and spent countless hours listening to and playing along with the original 6-pack. CVH was one of the biggest driving forces in my formative years... I totally subscribed to the VH mindset and swagger. You either get it, or you don't.

I think the entire album is so solid from front to back. Stand outs for me are Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad and House of Pain... all totally underrated CVH tracks.
          Last edited by VAiN; 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM.
          Originally posted by wiseguy
          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

"Drop Dead Legs" has a great groove, I forgot about that one because the mix of the whole album is so thin I've written it off entirely!

Why I really never bought 1984 has more to do with protest over Sammy Hagar joining because I didn't have the time or money to buy the thing, and it never went on sale. It was always 7.99 no matter where you went, and I was too cheap to fork over the dough.

And then Ronald McFuckin' Donald joined the group, and ruined it. Who buys into a dead franchise, not me! And so I forgot about 1984 and vowed to buy it when Dave was back in.. but now I vow to buy it when Mike's back in.

howdya like that..

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
              Actually it's in a few more days 1/9/84.
              Let's take the time to stroll back down memory lane...
              Where were you when you first heard the album?
              What was your first reaction upon hearing it?
              The little fucking angel smokin' a stoogie is turning 25 years old!!
              Post all the your thoughts about 1984 here!!!
              The year itself was nice, given I was a little under 6 months old. Apparently I was also drinking heavily back then 'cause I can't remember shit from then...

But the album? It gets better after the first two tracks, year after year...
              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

Too bad this was it for them. Sometimes I'm happy Dave left or we wouldn't have Eat Em' & Smile or Skyscraper for that matter !! Eat Em is still one of the most killer rock discs of all time !!! 1984 is great shit but Jump has ruined it's image for alot of people. Girl gone bad is Ed's best playing ever if you ask me.

Comment

• Blackflag
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                  Girl gone bad is Ed's best playing ever if you ask me.
                  Word, bitch.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

I also think the demo version of House Of Pain with the car horn blows away the album version !! I think it sounds faster or something. I guess they wanted to update it. And RWTD already had the horn.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                      Commando
                      • May 2004

I remember being in the basement with all my stereo and guitar equipment and my jock cousin comes downstairs with a copy of 1984. I was pissed because I was a huge VH fan and couldn't believe he got it before I did. Being a sound junkie he let me record it and I put it on a reel to reel tape. The playback on the open reel recorder had more balls than the original LP. Needless to say, I wore that tape out. I went out and purchased it on album, cassette and later cd of course. I liked 1984, but the writing was on the wall and you could tell Ed was headed in a lighter direction. His guitar tone was losing it's raw edge and sure enough the Hagar years came and VH was transformed into Journey. Luckily I got to see the 1984 tour in DC before disaster struck in 85. I remember being disappointed that they didn't play Top Jimmie or Drop Dead Legs live.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Well, I was 2 in 1984, so I obviously came to the CVH train much later.

Surprisingly, no 25th Anniversary edition has been released - I, for one, would have liked to have heard outtakes, alternative mixes, etc......
                        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                          That would be Balance.

Ah I thought you were talking about Van Halen...

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jero
                            Fuck we're getting old
                            yeah, we are
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• vaijuju
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2008

"1984" put the CD it was 12/31/1983

I remenbered in France The vinyl was liberate for 04/01/1984 I bought mine 01/14/1984
                              Last edited by vaijuju; 12-31-2009, 02:04 PM.
                              http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• SNIPER
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

Jump ON MTV

Comment

Working...