Say goodbye, Dream another Dream, this dream is over.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Taylor
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

I must say that the Dream is over is one of Halen's great moments. I'm not much into this idealism that 'CVH' can do no wrong. I only like one Hagar era album but there are things from the DLR era that I'm not in awe of. If this thread is about Eddie, then I'll say that that playing above while it might not be his greatest, is atleast one of them. But the riff in the song 5150 is some of his very best playing. Whether or not Eddie is a shitty human being there's nothing wrong in saying that.

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TongueNGroove
      You will never hear or see Ed like this again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2qd71quO0 And yes it's with sammy, but it doesn't get any better.

It's over folks. The dream is over, but thankfully the legend lives. This messageboard is yesterdays news. Wolfie proved that.

Sad, but true.
      To The Sheep Pen,TongueNAss.
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Someone please flush this turd...

Thanks in advance!
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Well, the song fit... and so does ED's playing.

This may be a DLR website, but truth is you wouldn't even know who DLR is without ED, so show some repsect.
          Considering Ed's studio work ethic post Dave? I doubt anybody would know who Ed is, either. Fuck, since 1998 Ed's made Tom Scholz look like a speed demon by comparison.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Ed writes great songs, doesnt really matter who sings them.
            I'll concede that 5150 and OU812 were fair enough entries considering the fluff that permeated rock radio in the late 80's - and by comparison to shit like Poison, Bon Jovi and Warrant, Van Hagar looked at least somewhat serious - but once 1991 rolled around and they decided to convince the world they could still "rock" without relying on keyboards, I think it was pretty apparent that A) the world had since moved on and B) Van Halen's song quality had declined considerably.

You have proven that yourself with all your Sammy bashing. Samy sucks ass, yet VH lives on. Explain that one....
            Van Halen, the band, was the name brand that sold Van Halen throughout the 80s. David may have been the voice and the face, sure, but it was a cohesive band effort and the NAME, the NAME, that sold them and the NAME that was talked about in the households. Not David this/Eddie that. At least, not in large part. When it's said that "Sammy Hagar got the keys to the kingdom in 1986 thanks to David Lee Roth and has been riding his coattails ever since", it's therefore pretty accurate. What, you think "I Can't Drive 55" was going to carry Hagar into the 90's (and beyond) had Van Halen never happened for him? Fuck no. To think otherwise is just stupid.

It was always a battle between Roth and Hagar among the fans, sure, but most of the fans just leaned "Van Halen" regardless due to the Ed/Al/Mike factor...plus, you consider that David was kinda all over the place post '91 himself and had no confidence back home at Warner Bros. (i.e. no promotion), and it just kinda fell that way. Could have just as easily went any other way. Just the side the coin fell on.

Do you think I am a n00b when it comes to VH? Yah, they were called Mammoth when Gene Simmons discovered them, but nothing happened. Then DLR said VanHalen was better... alrighty then.
            I'm amazed at your in depth knowledge of the band. I know n00bs, and you sir are no n00b.
            Last edited by bueno bob; 01-21-2009, 02:23 AM.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• VAiN
              Use my hand, I won't look
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by wiseguy
              Dave is here to represent....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPUcVhwdCfs

Nuff said...wheres my beer flavored cheerios?
              +1 my brotha! Here's another shining example of how VH ruled the world..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And this ain't no fucking hagar bullshit!
              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

You will never hear or see Ed like this again.
                And to this I have to say FUCK YOU.
                At best this riff was put together with Eddie and Al jamming some CVH riffs or at worst fucking fuck hagar said something to the effect of... people seem to like it when you guys launch into ain't talkin bout love.. can we do something that resembles that just a little? Please?!?!
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

The "thrust" of this thread is that ED is done. He's old, can't write any more, cant really play any more(The way he did), although I never count him totaly out, I think we can all agree on that.

I think we could. If he put in the effort, I think he COULD regain some of his former glory. He won't of course, but that's EVH.
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2007

DickInMouth=DHF?

Comment

• wiseguy
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                      +1 my brotha! Here's another shining example of how VH ruled the world..

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And this ain't no fucking hagar bullshit!
                      FUCKING EXCELLENT!!!! The cream cut in is the best, I'm so fucking glad!

All my best Vain.

Cheers!
                      Stay frosty now.
                      Nostalgia is a form of denial. I love denial. I like selective amnesia, too. Mix the two and you've got a hell of a weekend-DLR

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Apr 2005

GAR, I never said Balance or 5150 sounded like Van Halen !! Dave Roth sang in Van Halen !! I said I'm a fan of Eddie's playing and I think both are great examples of what he can do. I love the sound on Balance, on 5150 his sound is still more like the old stuff but I like the Balance sound, It's the same tone as Me Wise Magic & Can't get this stuff No More !! I bet you like his playing on those tune's right ?

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TongueNAss
                          Ed writes great songs, doesnt really matter who sings them.
                          No, Ed writes great riffs. They only become great songs when David Lee Roth turns them into that.

Look at the music on the Van Hagar records and VDIII, compared to the 6 Van HALEN albums. Not talking about Hagar or the ballerina here, just the music itself.

It just ain't as good. Period. THEN, you drop the ton of velveeta, soaked in shitty tequila on top of that, and it becomes horrible.

Originally posted by TongueNAss
                          Do you think I am a n00b when it comes to VH? Yah, they were called Mammoth when Gene Simmons discovered them, but nothing happened. Then DLR said VanHalen was better... alrighty then.
                          They had dropped the Mammoth name before they met Chaim Witz. And the reason nothing happened is because Chaim's label (Casablanca records) was only signing disco acts at the time. They weren't interested in a hard rock band. KISS themselves probably couldn't have got signed at that point, if they already hadn't been on the label.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rx-Taj5Z1yI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rx-Taj5Z1yI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

You will never hear or see Ed like this again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2qd71quO0 And yes it's with sammy, but it doesn't get any better.
                              I'd never heard that song before.

It's shit.

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                                I love the sound on Balance, on 5150 his sound is still more like the old stuff
                                I beg to differ.

Comment

Working...