Say goodbye, Dream another Dream, this dream is over.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    And most of his best playing was between the years of 1976 and 1984, so we could have all fucking ended it when Dave left...

Maybe. But there's also a chance that most people wouldn't know who the Van Halens were without Dave's mojo and promoting. Without Dave, Ed was just another great guitar savant. Does the average person know who Jeff Beck or Joe Satriani is? They may have just been a maestro wannabe cult act if not for Dave. As it is, Ed is now ranked FUCKING 48th as a guitarist by Rolling Stone! Why do you think that is? Who should show some respect?

Do you even know who's idea it was to call themselves "Van Halen" was?

And I blame spEd for a lot of mistakes and for being a complete asshole in his dealings, especially around the 1996 MTV debacle. He could have rekindled things. He could have changed the band's name when Sam came aboard. There's a lot of things that could have been done...
    I agree with you but in all fairness, Rolling Stone is a shit publication. They treat Bob Dylan as if he is the second coming of Christ.

Shit they did some mock tournament a couple years ago and put 64 bands in a bracket to decide the greatest ever, the final was Bob Dylan vs The Talking Heads. Those two beat out Elvis and The Beatles. And guess where Van Halen was on that bracket....No where, those cocks had bands like no doubt and sublime (i enjoy sublime) but no Van Halen.

IMO Rolling Stone is irrelevant
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88

Always has been , always will be!

People who buy into what that rag says are sheep...
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

I agree with you but in all fairness, Rolling Stone is a shit publication. IMO Rolling Stone is irrelevant
        It's aboot time you said something smart!

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Oh sweet Jeezus........
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

Sam sounds particuarly uninspired in that clip, BTW.

I'm a fan of his work in Monstrose, but those vocals were far, far away from that.

Comment

• TongueNGroove
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
              Sam sounds particuarly uninspired in that clip, BTW.

I'm a fan of his work in Monstrose, but those vocals were far, far away from that.
              Maybe your ears need a good cleaning. Is that Sammy's best work, no...is it good, yes.

This thread isn't about Sammy anyway, it's about VanHalen and Eddie. I truly beleive VanHalen is done. Eddie will never be what he was in that video. I believe he can still write songs, but when it comes to playing I just don't think he has the dedication to get back on his game.

Which is sad, since you have guys like Vai out there nearly the same age who still master the instrument.
              -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Originally posted by TongueNGroove

This thread isn't about Sammy anyway, it's about VanHalen and Eddie. I truly beleive VanHalen is done. Eddie will never be what he was in that video. I believe he can still write songs, but when it comes to playing I just don't think he has the dedication to get back on his game.

Which is sad, since you have guys like Vai out there nearly the same age who still master the instrument.
                Sad thing is, I agree with you. Ed will never be the player he once was. On the basis of his musical ouptut in the last 10 years however, I don't think he can write songs anymore. The new material on the last 'Best Of' sounded like a Van Halen covers band that had started to write their own songs...

Comment

• swage33
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2009

eds sound was beefier during the hagar years...seen clips of the recent dave tour and sonically, not technically, eds sound sucked. just my opinion
                  High quality hate while you wait

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I agree with you but in all fairness, Rolling Stone is a shit publication. They treat Bob Dylan as if he is the second coming of Christ.

Shit they did some mock tournament a couple years ago and put 64 bands in a bracket to decide the greatest ever, the final was Bob Dylan vs The Talking Heads. Those two beat out Elvis and The Beatles. And guess where Van Halen was on that bracket....No where, those cocks had bands like no doubt and sublime (i enjoy sublime) but no Van Halen.

I'm not defending RS. But to an extent, VH made themselves a bit irrelevant in the eyes of the average fan by pissing their legacy...

Comment

• GAR
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                      You mean "MON-tro.." oh I get it

HAHAHA

I tolerated Sammy on FM radio occasionally, in Montrose back then too, but that was 30 years and 150 pounds ago.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

I saw Ronnie Montrose play 2 years back, he had a tall skinny guy who looked about 30 who could hit all those Hagar notes that Hagar can't hit anymore.

Asked him about reunion with Hagar he smiled and said politely "what for?"

j/k he didn't say that. He said he's "already got a singer."

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Ya, Ronnie is a cool guy to talk to. He is a little weird but was nice. Sat next to him & his soon to be drummer wife on stage after a show here and bullshitted with him like 15 years ago. And I'm guilty of going to a Hagar show when the original Montrose band played together a few years back. Sammy's band sucked !! Really sloppy and shitty song list, Mike played on a couple tunes. But I cannot tell a lie. The Montrose set was killer !!! Ronnie is one of the best live players of all time. My brother saw them in 74 or 75 and Bill Church was sick I guess so they came out anyway with just Ronnie and Denny on drums and my brother said Ronnie was so good and had such a killer tone it really didn't matter there was no bass player !!! I wish we could say that about the last VH tour !!

Comment

Working...