X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • General Hina
    Sniper
    • Feb 2004

VH Worcester, MA review 6/19/2004

Before I begin let me restate that I love all versions of Van Halen.
    I've seen the following tours: Fair Warning, 1984, 5150 & VH III. (I've also seen EAS, ALAE, Marching To Mars & Sam/Dave Tour)
    This was the first time I've seen the band since July 1998 and the first time seeing VH with Sammy since 1986.
    I will try to be fair and honest but I understand that if you don't like Sammy nothing I say can change that.
    With that said, here we go...

1) Was the show sold out? Yes it was BUT the Worcester Centrum is very small. I was shocked when I enter since I had never been there before. I would say the capacity was 6,000 - 7,000 max.
    The crowd: Let's just say the trailer parks were empty in Worcester Saturday night.

2) How did the band look?

*Mike looks the best. he was fit and tan and having a blast.
    *Alex looked pretty good. No neck brace and his body was lean and mean like the last time I saw him but his face looks old on the giant screens.
    *Sammy is still chubby but I wouldn't say he's fat. He's definitely lost some weight since the Dave and Sam tour. But he is definitely not in fighting shape by any means. The wardrobe is still a little Jimmy Buffet for me but not as crazy as on his last solo outings. He wore yellow pants with sandels and a hawaiian shirt. He then changed into a yellow t-shirt with red sneakers.
    *Eddie looks pretty bad. Same hair, raggy cargo pants and boots with the toe missing. I don't get it
    he looks like Dee Dee Ramone or as I like to call him "Cabo Hobo" He is very skinny especially his arms. As I watched the show I kept wondering... "Is Eddie dying and is this tour just a last farewell before he goes to his final resting place?"

The set list and my humble thoughts:
    Jump - Not great because Sammy doesn't do this song justice like DLR used to. This is an odd opening song. I personally feel they shouldn't p[lay it at all since it is such a signature Dave song.
    Runaround - Great
    Humans Being - Great
    Up For Breakfast - This song sucks just awful.
    Bass Solo - Whos cares. I'm so tired of each member taking a solo when they could be playing more tunes. it lacks of originality.
    Sombody Get Me A Doctor - Great! This song rocked and Sammy sang just as much as Mike. This was a real crowd pleaser.
    Poundcake - Kept the momentum going.
    It's About Time - Great another crowd pleaser and i was surprised how many people sang along.
    Drum Solo - Same as the Bass solo...who cares.
    Top Of The World - This song rocked as did the next did the next two...
    Unchained
    Why Can't This Be Love
    Eagles Fly... then this happened. I own all the Sammy solo stuff and this has never been a favorite plus this is the same thing he's played on the last two tours.
    Deeper Kind Of Love - I do love this song but save it for your solo show and let's stop this unnecessary individual band solos.
    Learning To See - This song is okay but alot of people went to the bathroom and to get beer during this one.
    Best of Both Worlds - This sounded great but people were still in the lobby getting snacks.
    Guitar Solo - Okay...Eddie sounded great BUT I would relish some spontinaity in his solos. It's basically the same thing he always does. Which is 316, Cathedral etc etc etc. Shouldn't Eddie be able to just jam something origanl in concert and give everyone including himself a thrill? And since it was Father's Day weekend Wolfie joined Eddie on stage. Eddie touted him as the future which to me is alot of pressure on a 12 year old kid.
    Dreams - Stars another monster 3 song set
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Another crowd pleaser
    Right Now - This one tore the roof off the place.

- Encores-
    You Really Got Me - Good
    Panama - Good
    When It's Love - This is a mistake. there are some great songs on OU812 and this is the only one they played. Plus this is not the way to end a concert. I like alot of the VH/Sammy ballads but not this one.

SOUND:
    The band sounded great and played well. They were all smiles and joking and everything seemed A-Okay in Van Hagarville. But in the end I felt like I had seen this show before. Did i enjoy myself yes but I am hopeful for some set list changes before they hit Los Angeles in August. To me these first couple shows, of which I've only been to one, seem like warm-up shows.

Time will tell.

Over and Out,
    General Hina

(I did not spell check this)
  • MAX
    Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Well Hina,

I don't care what anyone thinks but I respect your review and I think it's cool that you chose to post it here. You are just telling it as you see it and quite frankly your review is about the most honest that I've read. What's even funnier is that you chose to post it here instead of the links? Anyway, a review like that would give you a "Rothtard" title over there immediately. If you were to say one thing at all negatively, it would mean you hate Van Halen altogether and you aren't a "True Fan."

All in all, Hina sometimes you piss me off but at least you don't hide and are honest. Good on you sir and thanks for sharing the review.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

agree...good review...but fuck you, anyway
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
        agree...good review...but fuck you, anyway
        Panamark two nostril beer snorter of the day award !!!
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Apart from Unchained and Somebody get me a Doctor, what makes this a "Van Halen" show as opposed to another run of the mill "Van Hagar" gig ??
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• MAX
            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Panamark,

I fucking posted this twice used douchebag version of the band formerly known as Van Halen's pathetic cover of "Unchained" a week ago!!! After hearing that crap I'd think you'd know better? This entire tour is completely the antithesis of what is a "Van Halen" show mate.
            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Jeeze, even resorting to bringing your kid onstage to add "magic" and a "surprise" element to a twenty-year old, re-hashed guitar solo from a supposed "Guitar God" to spark some life into the show? That's beyond both sad and pathetic if you ask me?
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Nice review for a dumb shithead like you...

A different song list would make it much better...

I agree with you on the bass and drum solos...

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                  Panamark,

I fucking posted this twice used douchebag version of the band formerly known as Van Halen's pathetic cover of "Unchained" a week ago!!! After hearing that crap I'd think you'd know better? This entire tour is completely the antithesis of what is a "Van Halen" show mate.
                  I heard the openng bars of Unchained (which Ed fucks up) and then Spammy's voice. I didnt even make it through the first verse..
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

WOW! YOU REALLY WENT AND SAW THEM???? well bally-hoo for you motherfucker! ya' know? the 'american idol' tour is coming to your town. got your tickets yet? .........is this the dlr army site? also, doesn't 'diet' van halen have their own site? honestly dude...i could give a fuck...........

Comment

• tjvhou812
                      Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

both fucking shows at worcester was great....

and just so gen hina knows the centrum holds 16,000.
                      Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

yeah, I've heard the bastardization they call Unchained ... freaking horrible if you ask me. I wouldn't mind them playing classic VH if they had Mike Anthony sing them instead of Sammy ... that shit was atrocious.

The set list sucks my ass, too.
                        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• VANHALEN2004
                          Head Fluffer
                          • May 2004

Van Halen rocks!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see them here!!!

Comment

• conmee
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Mar 2003

I'm pissed they totally ignore VDIII.... where the hell is Without You, Year To The Day, Fire In The Hole, and How Many Say I?!?!?!??!? lmao

Bring back Gary!!!!!

Icon.
                            An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                            hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

You know, I can't really agree with Hina. It doesn't sound like that great a show to me. It's definitely a greatest hits show, but I remember seeing Van Hagar on the BALANCE tour (the Toronto PPV) and when Mikey played his solo and Eddie played his solo (with the MEAN STREET riff), I remember thinking to myself that that was the only point at which I really believed I was seeing the actual band Van Halen.

Anyway, it was gutsy to post that here. And it's good that people should feel free to express their honest opinions!
                              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

Working...