• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinnie Velvet
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Carloscda
    Kiss - Heavens on fire
    You can see in that video they wanted to be VH sooo bad!
    Look at the drum kit reminds me of Al's kits back then.
    Very true.

When KISS removed the makeup and costumes back in 1983, they had a hard time deciding on how they should dress and look. And which band did they look to for ideas and inspiration back then?? VH, of course, whose image was just as big as their music.

I read a book somewhere (can't remember what it was called) where Paul Stanley really liked the way VH dressed (specifically Dave) and wanted desperately to go that route, which they did. Right down to even doing some kicks and jumps (notice during the 80s Stanley didn't play much guitar. LOL!).

Alex was a big influence on Eric Carr as well, right down to Carr using Ludwig drums. Carr sighted many times how he loved Alex's playing.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      "Heavy Metal" is such a subjective term...

I mean, is there a visual pre-req ??

Do you "have" to look like Judas Priest ?? Do you "have" to sound like Black Sabbath ??
      Well, if you want higher caliber pussy, you wanna look like Van Halen. You look like Sabbath and you end up with this.....

Look like Sammy Hagar and you end up with this....

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Carloscda
        Foot Soldier
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
        Very true.

When KISS removed the makeup and costumes back in 1983, they had a hard time deciding on how they should dress and look. And which band did they look to for ideas and inspiration back then?? VH, of course, whose image was just as big as their music.

I read a book somewhere (can't remember what it was called) where Paul Stanley really liked the way VH dressed (specifically Dave) and wanted desperately to go that route, which they did. Right down to even doing some kicks and jumps (notice during the 80s Stanley didn't play much guitar. LOL!).

Alex was a big influence on Eric Carr as well, right down to Carr using Ludwig drums. Carr sighted many times how he loved Alex's playing.

Wow didn't know that.
        And yea Paul & everybody else was trying to imitate Dave kicks & jumps!
        But as we all know there's only one!!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

I'm glad this subject came up because i have been debating with friends for years about what was and wasn't heavy metal. Around 1981/1982 when i started getting into the metal and hard rock scene, there were several bands that were definitely considered metal - AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Van Halen to name a few. I think DD and 1984 somewhat changed peoples images of what VH was but i remember them being considered metal based on reputation and their first 4 albums.
          Led Zep and Deep Purple were considered metal at that time. If you are at least my age, you will remember that coming off of the disco at the end of the 70's and the new wave of the early 80's, it wasn't hard to be considered metal. There was no "classic rock" or "hard rock" at that time. You were either rock and roll or heavy metal.
          Motley Crue was considered metal when Shout at the Devil was out. But around 84 when the Ratts and Dokkens got big, and the Crue put out Theater of Pain, there became that distinction of hard rock vs metal. Hell, you look back now and there is a lot that seems like it wasn't heavy metal but at the time it was.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

I can't figure out what the difference is between Hard Rock
            and Metal... (Unless we diverse into death/speed/thrash etc)
            I love both....
            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• WesGriffin
              Full On Cocktard
              • Apr 2009

Generally, Van Halen is not a "Heavy Metal" band, in my opinion. But I've given up on genre titles anyway. But most of what is considered "Heavy Metal" is targeted for certain people and thoughs same people are attracted to it. Van Halen is for everybody. I'll bet that I could go out onto the street and ask all kinds of random people about classic Van Halen and a smile would come to their face, remembering the last time they heard it.
              ... So free it feels Illegal!!!, Cosmo!

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                Veteran
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Panamark
                I can't figure out what the difference is between Hard Rock
                and Metal... (Unless we diverse into death/speed/thrash etc)
                I love both....
                I agree. I love both as well. As long as it is of quality it really doesn't matter. I still refer to everything as metal but i have friends that say "that's not metal, that's hard rock!" In the same vain, i understand it is hard to put Iron Maiden and Motley Crue for instance, in the same category. What you run into results in this thread. People wondering why such and such band was included in the story of heavy metal or why such and such band would be shown on Metalmania (the Warrants, Wingers and White Lions)
                Last edited by sonrisa salvaje; 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by WesGriffin
                  Generally, Van Halen is not a "Heavy Metal" band, in my opinion. But I've given up on genre titles anyway. But most of what is considered "Heavy Metal" is targeted for certain people and thoughs same people are attracted to it. Van Halen is for everybody. I'll bet that I could go out onto the street and ask all kinds of random people about classic Van Halen and a smile would come to their face, remembering the last time they heard it.
                  Unless of course, the last song they heard was "Humans Being." Sorry, you said classic Van Halen. Agreed.

Comment

• WACF
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                    Sirius is no better, they play old Kiss on Hair Nation all the time.
                    Hair Nation...a channel with such huge potential.

I find it beyond ridiculous they way they program HN, Boneyard and Octane.

Jose programs HN now(Liquid Metal), he would love to expand the playlist...play new music by Crue, Tesla ect., but his boss says no.

The new Boneyard is barely listenable compared to what it once was.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Boneyard is pretty damn good, but I switch over to HN when I don't like what Boneyard is playing...

Lots of CVH on Boneyard, BTW...
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• WACF
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        Boneyard is pretty damn good, but I switch over to HN when I don't like what Boneyard is playing...

Lots of CVH on Boneyard, BTW...
                        Tons of CVH...yes.

But the repetition of core bands is killing the station.

Also...they play Black Sabbath with Dio lots...but you will not hear Bible Black unless you listen to Eddie Trunk's show.

Same goes for new Metallica,Tesla, yngwie malmsteen, Saxon, Crue, Queensryche, AC/DC ect...all gone now.

Solo Halford, Overkill, Anthrax, Testament, Dream Theatre, Blind Guardian, Savatage are erased from the playlist.

Bohdi(Octane) programs the station...but his hands are tied too...his boss says no new music.

It went from a station that played artist careers to a Gold Based playlist.

It is tough to know what it was to what it has become.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

What is up with the Boneyard playing Pat Travers lately? I understand Thin Lizzy to a certain extent but i didn't know Travers was considered in this genre.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
                            Was one of the characters in a William S. Burroughs novel a heavy metal kid?
                            I'm surprised this forum attracts even the somewhat-literate.

Like Igosplut. Or Edward Pryzdial.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                              I'm surprised this forum attracts even the somewhat-literate.

Like Igosplut. Or Edward Pryzdial.
                              You should be banned for life for even mentioning that fucking piece of shit here.

And I sure as fuck don't mean Igosplut.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...