• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diamondjimi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2004

Originally posted by katie
    It's OK,
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

I still think it's their best because it show's all side's of what the band was about. The solo in Outta Love is short but one of Ed's best !! Get Me A Doctor is still on of my favorite tune's ever.

Comment

• katie
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

It's OK, but is let down by the dry mix

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by katie
          It's OK, but is let down by the dry mix
          When the album first came out, I felt the same way. The tunes sounded just a bit more like standard boogie tunes in some places, and the record seemed to have a bit less zip on it's fastball compared to the lightning and thunder of the first record.

Yet oddly enough, here we are thirty years later, and I actually find myself liking the album for these very traits that I dismissed so casually long ago. The open spaces in "You're No Good" and "Women In Love" now enhance the performance more, and the nervousness that lead to somewhat stiff recordings on the first record has been replaced by a relaxed attitude and the beginnings of the VH brand of humor that would become a trademark of this band in the future. The band seems to be having a blast playing these tunes, and Roth is right at the front with his funny asides ("Hey...where ya goin'?") and genuinely cracking up in places, which Ted Templeman was canny enough to leave in.

A keeper for sure.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• katie
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

Good POV, gonna revisit this album....

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Apparently when the band was recording live in the studio as usual, Eddie's solo performance tore everybody there apart, hence the applause.
              I think that's the biggest crock i've ever heard regarding Van Halen...

The clapping was a planed out part of the song, probably done by Dave, Michael and Edward during the recording of the vocal tracks...

And they didn't record everything "live in the studio" as descrbed in your post...

The basic rhythm track was recorded and then some of the guitar solo work and finally vocals...

There was no "everybody there" who spontaineously gave applause, ala Hendrix - Electric Electric Lady Land...

So, go back an corect Wiki...

Last edited by ELVIS; 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: To correct some bullshit!
              Originally posted by vandeleur
              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

My first and favourite =VH= album to this day...

I love the live feel...

Ed had his best tone and Dave was never better before or since as far as sceams and projecting such a bigger than life personality onto a recording...

It's a masteriece and my favourite song of course os Outta Love again...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

AMAZING!

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  Hmmm...

My first and favourite =VH= album to this day...

I love the live feel...

Ed had his best tone and Dave was never better before or since as far as sceams and projecting such a bigger than life personality onto a recording...

It's a masteriece and my favourite song of course os Outta Love again...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x94 61ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

AMAZING!

Very cool live version !
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Absolutely KILLER guitar and unreal screams!

And just listen to their timing...so tight...

That was due to Michael and Alex working their asses off together...

Wolf didn't have a clue about such things on the last tour...

I'm sure he'll get better, but Michael makes it soung like Van Halen...

He even makes Chickendick sound a bit like Van Halen...

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

I sometimes get the feeling that most people, even diehard hard rock fans don't get the humour in their music, they think VH is a hard rock band. It's not just in Roth's shrieks, it's in all of their playing. You have to have a certain sort of personality. Outta love is my fave hands down on this. It's also one of my top tunes.

Comment

• Carloscda
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2009

That performance there among others made every band out want to be like them! And imagining being at that how yuo know Dave was flying all over there place!

Comment

• if6was9
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                          I sometimes get the feeling that most people, even diehard hard rock fans don't get the humour in their music, they think VH is a hard rock band. It's not just in Roth's shrieks, it's in all of their playing. You have to have a certain sort of personality.
                          That's exactly the difference between Van Halen and Van Hagar. Seemed like Dave took all their humour away in 1985.

BTW, We'll have a sad anniversary next week.
                          Last edited by if6was9; 03-25-2009, 10:36 AM.
                          Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• yomaster
                            Roadie
                            • Feb 2004

Best VH record ever. I love every song.

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by if6was9
                              That's exactly the difference between Van Halen and Van Hagar. Seemed like Dave took all their humour away in 1985.

BTW, We'll have a sad anniversary next week.

That's really another topic, but I do think Sammy had it too. Based on what was available I think Ed made the best choice possible. There are many moments that crack me up just like the Dave stuff does; yes I know next to no one here would agree. One example: Good Enough, where he goes, well I'll have some of thaaAAATT!!! woohoohoohoo.

Comment

• Carloscda
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                                That's really another topic, but I do think Sammy had it too. Based on what was available I think Ed made the best choice possible. There are many moments that crack me up just like the Dave stuff does; yes I know next to no one here would agree. One example: Good Enough, where he goes, well I'll have some of thaaAAATT!!! woohoohoohoo.
                                Weak....
                                There was only One Dave and everyone tried to emulate him from A-Z! From his one liners to his jumps & even his outfits!
                                Last edited by Carloscda; 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...