X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • if6was9
    Head Fluffer
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
    Ed, concentrate on playing guitar, staying healthy, and spending time with your son. Let Dave have the drivers seat for everything else.
    Bullshit. All Dave can do is composing great melodies to Eddie's backgrounds. That's the magic between them - riffs and melodies. It didn't work with the later VH singers. Sammy was fiddling on three notes and Gary tried to sound sophisticated.
    Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Biggest downer watching this stuff was seeing Ed still being able to play well live, and wasting it on Gary Cherone.

Man, the fucking things Van Halen could have done in 1996 and beyond had the reunion with Roth went the distance...
      True... I'd say Ed was still on the peak of his playing ability back in 98.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Biggest downer watching this stuff was seeing Ed still being able to play well live, and wasting it on Gary Cherone.
        Originally posted by ZahZoo
        True... I'd say Ed was still on the peak of his playing ability back in 98.
        Yep, the playing wasn't really the issue. It was stuff like this taking place in the foreground that was such an unsettling distraction...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
          Yep, the playing wasn't really the issue. It was stuff like this taking place in the foreground that was such an unsettling distraction...

Damn you...these pictures should come with a warning...
          Roth Army Icon
          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Oooops...sorry, friend. What can I tell ya...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

"This is gonna be the last change. No more after this."

LMAO!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Yeah. His hair got real weird like it changed it's thickness or something & he started to get thin (especially in the face). The look previous to this was the Humans Being video where he looked pretty good with the short hair & goatee. He went from looking cool with Dave, to looking gay with Sammy, to looking like the crypt keeper. Now I know the man had cancer and that was probably a lot of the declined appearance, but then drinking himself nearly to death afterward didn't help either.

Ed, concentrate on playing guitar, staying healthy, and spending time with your son. Let Dave have the drivers seat for everything else.
                Not to mention he was married to a woman that really loved him and not his money. She put up with him for years trying to get him sober and he finally ran her off. Val's brother David lives in Park City, UT and is a photographer. He said the situation with Ed saddened his whole family because they really liked Ed who he said can be a really neat guy. He said the alcohol and cigarettes took their toll.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Yeah. His hair got real weird like it changed it's thickness or something & he started to get thin (especially in the face). The look previous to this was the Humans Being video where he looked pretty good with the short hair & goatee. He went from looking cool with Dave, to looking gay with Sammy, to looking like the crypt keeper. Now I know the man had cancer and that was probably a lot of the declined appearance, but then drinking himself nearly to death afterward didn't help either.

A friend of mine came down with AIDS and I watched it slowly and cruely suck the life out of him. To be honest. I thought Ed might have gotten AIDS. He had that look. I thought Gary got him.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Nah...although that onstage display of poofery wasn't helpful, the well was already poisoned with the whole 1996 debacle...

...can one honestly say that it was Cherone fingering his arsehole onstage that pounded the nail into the coffin? That if Cherone hadn't done this, then everything else Van Halen Mach 3 did was acceptable?

No. The issue was that Roth wanted to be back in the band, there were certainly far more people who wanted to see Roth back in the band than there were Eddie Grunts who didn't care who sang, and the Van Halens gave the finger to the vast majority of their active fanbase (which by 1996 had already significantly shrunk from what it had been in 1984).
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                      I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds.
                      Same here...I can't deal with ANYBODY singing DAVID LEE ROTH's songs besides the MAN HIMSELF...just sounds phony to me...

Comment

• houseofpain
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Feb 2005

I saw Extreme 3 times before 1994 and Gary never did anything on stage this gay. And I wonde how he could go from a guy that sang such melodic stuff on their first 2-3 albums to a guy who was all over the staff with VDIII. Did he do it it just to prove he could sing baritone like Dave and scream like Sammy both? Cause it made no sense. And when did Gary go from writing things that were fun (Play With Me, He Man Woman Hater), and lyrics that had clever twists (Rest In Peace) to such mindless dribble? When did he turn into an intellectual? Did he have some dramatic conversion I don't know of?
                        EAT US AND SMILE!
                        LOOK WHO'S BACK IN CIRCULATION!
                        DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• houseofpain
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by houseofpain
                          I saw Extreme 3 times before 1994 and Gary never did anything on stage this gay. And I wonde how he could go from a guy that sang such melodic stuff on their first 2-3 albums to a guy who was all over the staff with VDIII. Did he do it it just to prove he could sing baritone like Dave and scream like Sammy both? Cause it made no sense. And when did Gary go from writing things that were fun (Play With Me, He Man Woman Hater), and lyrics that had clever twists (Rest In Peace) to such mindless dribble? When did he turn into an intellectual? Did he have some dramatic conversion I don't know of?

Fuck it...not as if I really care. He didn't deserve a spot with Eddie, Eddie's brother and the other guy anyway! And yes, I just quoted myself...
                          EAT US AND SMILE!
                          LOOK WHO'S BACK IN CIRCULATION!
                          DAMAGE INC!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            "This is gonna be the last change. No more after this."

LMAO!

Also my favorite line in the interview...
                            Roth Army Icon
                            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I believe Eddie also said something about how he would drop the guitar for good and start playing the tuba, if Van Danniels broke up.

Well, he was partially right..... he wasn't actually playing guitar on the Velveetapalooza Trainwreck 2004 tour. The tuba probably would have sounded better than that horrible performance.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

No. The issue was that Roth wanted to be back in the band, there were certainly far more people who wanted to see Roth back in the band than there were Eddie Grunts who didn't care who sang, and the Van Halens gave the finger to the vast majority of their active fanbase (which by 1996 had already significantly shrunk from what it had been in 1984).
                                I have absolutely nothing against Cherone....

What I remember was the HUGE buzz around Dave and the Sisters appearing onstage at the 1996 MTV Awards show - only to have those two pricks drive a stake right through the heart of rock music fans. I was fortunate enough (I guess) to have seen it live with a pretty big surprise factor...

Comment

Working...