• Show
Clear All
  • ULTRAMAN VH
    Commando
    • May 2004

Ed still a fan favorite

Eddie Van Halen voted “Best Rock Guitarist of 2008″ by Guitar World readers
    Thursday, 21 May 2009
    The readers of the best selling guitar magazine in the world, Guitar World, recently voted Eddie Van Halen the “Best Rock Guitarist of 2008″ in the 15th Annual Guitar World Readers Poll. Eddie won by a landslide, receiving nearly seven times as many votes as the runner up, Angus Young.

We mention this poll because it’s not just another meaningless list written by some random music critic. Rather, this is a case where the people have spoken, voting Eddie Van Halen as their favorite guitarist for the umpteenth time. He remains hugely popular after 30 years. Quite impressive!

The poll was conducted at the end of 2008 and the results were printed in the April 2009 issue of Guitar World.

Congratulations, Eddie Van Halen! Best Rock Guitarist, indeed.
  • ULTRAMAN VH
    Commando
    • May 2004

Okay, Ed has on occasion displayed some selfish behavior and has downright embarrassed himself via drunken rants in public view. But ya gotta admit the guy still has some clout after 30 years on the music scene.

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Being an original' doesn't make you "good". personally I could care less if he was voted #1 or #100... He's #1 for me, for his style, his brand, his unique approach, his history and after 40 years- his passion for playing.

say what you will...the smoking..the cancer..the "hip", his chronic problems...He's the KING on the guitar and still makes me crank classic van halen!
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Wasn't Eddie the winner of this poll pretty much the whole time Van HALEN was together, and then suddenly NOT, after 1986?

And now, he is again, now that Van HALEN is finally back together? Go figure
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I'm pretty sure he won a few times during the Van Hagar era too, but I could be wrong.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Big Troubles
            Being an original' doesn't make you "good". personally I could care less if he was voted #1 or #100... He's #1 for me, for his style, his brand, his unique approach, his history and after 40 years- his passion for playing.

say what you will...the smoking..the cancer..the "hip", his chronic problems...He's the KING on the guitar and still makes me crank classic van halen!
            Exactly! If he never released anything but the 6-Pack he'd still be one of the greatest guitarists ever. Fuck Van Hagar, Fuck VHIII, and everything else he did without Roth, what he did in CVH will hold up and be rediscovered by anyone who loves kick ass R-n-R.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ed's won Guitar World's readers polls a bunch... quick search showed several post 1985.

He's always somewhere in the top 5 with Hendrix, Clapton, Page, and all the other usual suspects...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Meh.

Saw him in 2008, and the Eddie of 2008 definitely isn't the Eddie of 1984 (or even 1998, for that matter).
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

However, not a shock for GW to have named him as such for last year; Ed could shit in a sock and he'd win far as that mag is concerned.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

True Terry but it's the readers not the magazine staff that voted Ed in...

Agreed though GW has always loved Ed...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

The Ed slammin' is getting old from the last tour. I have a few (more than a few !!) older boot's from the 80's of Ed playing sloppy or with a shitty tone !! I'm guilty myself !! Ed can still play when he is into it or sober !! He should be into it every night he plays live, but like most guitarists there not alway's in the mood. The money they charge lately should be enough but it 's not !! Angus Young still can give it every night I can tell you that much !!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Just imagine how good he would have sounded if the crew would have fixed the damn sound every night....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          Just imagine how good he would have sounded if the crew would have fixed the damn sound every night....
                          What was up with that? I know Ed was prototyping his new shit but the over all mix was just plain bad, for a big budget show like that.
                          Originally posted by vandeleur
                          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

I hear ya, inexcusable...
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...