Why Do You Think Ed Turned Into Such A Pussy in 1985?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ForeverDLR/VH
    Roadie
    • Feb 2009

I think there was a number of things

1. The thought of Dave banging Val., which I think had some to do with the breakup

2 Spam coming in cutting in some of Ed's ego with playing guitar and doing Hagar solo stuff during concerts.

3. The worries of trying to release better albums and try to sell more tickets than Dave.

4. The hot groupies turning into Fat Middle age women, "Van Hagar fan base".

5. The release of "OU812", Which is the true start of Van Hagar, you knew Spam had a big inpact of the music on the album.

6. Ed's drinking and taking drugs getting worest than ever.

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by davehagarfan
      Too many years riffing on Elton John records during his youth or one too many late nights hanging out with Lukathur and those other fags in Toto?

really? Seriously? Ok...

In no particular order,

pot
      paranoia
      daves ego
      booze
      coke
      valerie
      brother Al
      Shamu's auto mechanic
      dave trying to get a movie deal/solo EP

and the responsibilty that comes with raising a baby and holding your family together mixed with all of the above.

and nothing more than that.

"FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by WARF
        I'm the laugh all night drunk btw!!!

that's a bizarre coincidence...

Im the "laugh at the drunk guy" all night kind of drunk.

so if you are out and boozin' it up...someones laughing at you...Its me.

"FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• davehagarfan
          Head Fluffer
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by katie
          Eds dumbest move was to hire Sammy's manager Ed Leffler to manage VH.

Idiot!

That wasn't as dumb as when he hired Al's brother in law Ray Danniels. That's the guy that found Ed his musical soulmate in Gary Cherone

Comment

• letsrock
            Veteran
            • Mar 2007

Either way it seems like nobody was really in control of this band.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2007

Ed was. That's why it went to shit.

Comment

• DaveTheScott
                Head Fluffer
                • Jul 2007

Didn't Jan VH pass away between '5150' and 'OU812' ? Not that there's any viable excuse for taking the best fucking band in the world and transforming them into SHIT...I'm just saying...oh ya, and the Dave banging Ed's wife thing...

I bet the epiphany for these guys was when Ed and Alex were on stage ripping out "ATBL" and then looked to the front and saw Gary Cherone doing front handsprings and cartwheels, and pretty much ruining their legacy...and I'm not talking about stage gymnastics in a DLR, "don't turn your back or I'll screw your sister kind of way", I'm talking about a "don't turn your back or I'll screw your dog" kinda way...

I don't think Sammy's guitar had anything to do with it...Ed could cut his head with his eyes closed...

All I know is, what a fucking mess. They better get in the fucking studio soon. Another 3 or 4 year break and us poor fuckers in here will again be the only ones left keeping the flame...

Damn.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Ed has no leadership ability and appears directionless when not being led around by his nose, which is why Van Halen began to flounder and gradually morph into a rudderless ship of the S.S. Heineken5150 after Dave left. No one wants to follow Sammy, Mike is just a yes-man peep, and Al wasn't equipped anymore than Ed, and had much less recognition and cred...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's as simple as this....

Roth called Eddie out on his bullshit, musically and otherwise. Hagar didn't.... maybe because he was the "new guy" in the band, or maybe because of his personality.

End result? Cheese ballads and synth pop, as opposed to the wheat being separated from the chaff - metaphorically speaking - in the Dave/Eddie editing process that takes place in any of your classic songwriting partnerships. Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, etc.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Many people above seem to be on the right rack on this.

I really believe Ed was never very stable, and sooner or later he'd just crack. We all know people given to feeling sorry for themselves. Depressed, complaining.

Alcohol fuels what you are. His drinking becoming out of control helped bring out the pussy in Eddie. Had to happen, I guess.

Remember reading about the phone call to Dave stating he'd never be anyone's backing player?

As good as he is, he's still very unsure of himself. You know, like most pussies tend to be.

It's mental. There's no cure.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

He probably just wanted to prove that the VH brand could sell without the highbrow sensibilities. Highbrow sensibilities?? You read it right....an all-too-real cuntradiction in terms led the Ed towards some sort of mind-fucked quest for common ground with the not so cool hard rocking fuckers. You and he both knew the type.....fuckers that like a little heartfelt emotion with a dash of towering, hard-rocking talent. Having achieved brief sucksess in this soul sucking endeavor, the Ed found himself awash in a TIDY BOWL of swirling nonsense.....eventually. Self immolation became the order of the day as one shitty fucking song after another raced up the charts fed by cuntplete dipshits.

Some years later, the Ed finally realized that he had developed a musical yeast infection.

Was it the nagging headache that accompanied every shitty fucking emotional hook/fill?

Did he finally want to rid himself of monthly cramping when Sammy yelled about turning the house lights on.......and he saw a lot of fat motherfuckers with their lighters in the air? In a moment of clarity??

Who knows.....I just hope he enjoys the occasional beer and disregards any ego maniacal tendencies.

Now that Roth's back in the mix? That's a tough road to hoe in flippy floppys.

Comment

• ForeverDLR/VH
                          Roadie
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DaveTheScott
                          All I know is, what a fucking mess. They better get in the fucking studio soon. Another 3 or 4 year break and us poor fuckers in here will again be the only ones left keeping the flame...

Damn.

No doubt....... They need to get in the studio in a year.

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

A one word, straight to the point answer ?

"Sammy Hagar"

Watch the videos from 5150 (WARNING ! WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE !)
                            Imagine trying to remain the Heavy Metal Rock god that you rightly were,
                            while you had that poodle headed fat fucker with his headset microphone,
                            castrated choirboy shrilling and gay prancing about on stage,
                            just a few feet from you ???

Eddie, in all reality is only just starting to recover. A lot of us think he
                            may have left it too late, let us all pray that he can finally rid himself
                            of that psych destroying association.. God help the poor souls
                            of Chickenfoot, God Help Mike Anthony !

Hagar exposure is an even more powerful cred vampire than Toto !!
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Think maybe Ed just figured he had nothing left to prove...at least nothing left in terms of blistering rock guitar work. He had already been voted #1 rock guitarist in various guitar mag polls for a couple of years running at that point, and maybe he was buying into the widespread media suppositions of the time which asserted that, despite his musical gifts and technical prowess, Eddie Van Halen would always be resigned to churning out what critics deemed inconsequential party rock fodder because Roth was (in their eyes) just a clownish entertainer.
                              When Roth quit, Ed thought that Hagar's "moon / June" love lyrics were somehow more mature...and the majority of rock critics at the time applauded what Van Hagar did, deeming it a better band for Roth's absence.
                              As mentioned above, you couple that lust for commercial success with a drinking habit, a probable result is one of continually choosing to take the less challenging path of least resistance. Hagar wasn't about to challenge Eddie on a creative level, because Hagar has average talents and he knew he had just stepped into the opprtunity of a lifetime. Even Hagar would have been smart enough after talking to the Van Halens in the wake of Roth's departure to realize that they were tired of arguing with Roth, and wouldn't want to go down that same contentious road with a new singer.
                              Lot of rock stars get sloppy and unmotivated after they make it to the top, coasting on past glories. It's no coincidence that Van Hagar never had the nerve to do a set that didn't contain several of CVH's best known tunes (just as it's no coincidence those tunes elicited the loudest applause).
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• VH Drummer
                                Roadie
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by katie
                                Eds dumbest move was to hire Sammy's manager Ed Leffler to manage VH.

Idiot!
                                But I guess on the contrary, at least they were a functioning band--after he died, it fell apart even more which led to all the disasters for the past decade.
                                2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys

Comment

Working...