Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenBayLA
    Sniper
    • Jan 2006

I found it on Guitar World website. March 3, 2010 http://www.guitarworld.com/article/t...dow?page=0%2C0

From p 5

TONY IOMMI You can’t ever win no matter what you do.

EDWARD VAN HALEN You just do what you do. If anyone has a better way, show me how to please everyone all the time! For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it.

People think they know what I should do. A lot of fans are complaining that Van Halen should put out a new record now. Everybody is going, “Eddie should do this. Eddie should do that.” I’ve got all kinds of music that I could put out if I wanted to, but they don’t take into consideration the other members of the band. Maybe the singer doesn’t want to do that. I play classical piano. I play a little bit of cello. I write all kinds of different music that certain singers or certain musicians don’t want anything to do with. So what do I do? When people see Van Halen or Black Sabbath, it conjures up a certain image in their minds. If there’s just one albino pubic hair outside of that image, they won’t accept it. And if we do put something out, the first thing people are going to say is that it isn’t as good as the classics. Okay. Put it in your closet for 20 years and then it will be classic.

People forget that we put three new songs—“It’s About Time,” “Learning to See” and “Up for Breakfast”—on Best of Both Worlds in 2004. The reviews didn’t even mention those songs. When we played the new songs live, people would just stand there. Nobody said anything about them. Why go to all the trouble, spend all of that time in the studio and spend tons of your own money—there aren’t even any record labels anymore to put our shit out—to record a new album when people are only going to complain about it or ignore it or somebody is going to download it from the internet for free? We might not record something new. There’s an element of satisfaction and joy to creating something new, but not when it comes solely at your own expense and when people are just going to shoot it down, no matter what you do.

Aww poor Eddie. Jeez he sounds bitter. Maybe Wolfie can light a fire under his jaded ass again...
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 05-25-2010, 05:06 AM.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• GreenBayLA
      Sniper
      • Jan 2006

From p 8 end of interview

GW And sometimes you don’t know when hell is going to freeze over and you’ll work with someone again.

VAN HALEN Who ever thought we’d be back again with Roth? He went off and did his own thing. He just got tired of what we were doing. We did our thing, and now we’re back together.

IOMMI Black Sabbath got back together with Ozzy. Even when Heaven and Hell got together with Ronnie James Dio a few years ago, we didn’t think we were going to record a new album, but things worked out so well that we did it.

GW You’ve both worked with singers who developed these larger-than-life personalities.

IOMMI Yeah, but we became the arseholes.

VAN HALEN The bottom line for me is I’m just happy to be here with my friend Tony. I’ve had a hip replacement, I’ve beaten cancer, I had my hand operation, and I stopped drinking. Something inside of me just went, “I’m done.” People always ask me if I’m in a program. AA didn’t do anything for me. Rehab didn’t work. Nothing worked. It’s a strange thing. If you don’t want to quit, you won’t. I can’t tell you what happened. It just did. I don’t need to drink. I’m not jonesing for one. I don’t even think about it any more. It’s like God gave me one big bottle and I drank it all, so now it’s gone. I’m done. I’m just happy to be alive and to still be able to play. I’d say for both of us that not a hell of a lot keeps us down.

IOMMI We’ve done an awful lot.

VAN HALEN We’ve made a lot of mistakes.

IOMMI And you learn from them.

VAN HALEN We’ve come up with a lot of cool stuff, and we’re far from done. We’re certainly not the assholes that people think we are. ***

IOMMI We just try to be ourselves. That’s why we’ve been friends for so long.

***LOL Eddie, thanx for clarifying that!!!! So prove it and put out some new material w/ Dave!!!!!
      Last edited by GreenBayLA; 05-25-2010, 05:23 AM.
      "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Catfish
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenBayLA

If there’s just one albino pubic hair outside of that image, they won’t accept it. And if we do put something out, the first thing people are going to say is that it isn’t as good as the classics. Okay. Put it in your closet for 20 years and then it will be classic.
        What a little faggit Eddie is. What kind of musician creates something--or refuses to create something--because he's worried no one will like it? And of all people, Eddie God Damn Van Halen??? What an insecure little twat.

People forget that we put three new songs—“It’s About Time,” “Learning to See” and “Up for Breakfast”—on Best of Both Worlds in 2004.
        We're trying to forget!

The reviews didn’t even mention those songs. When we played the new songs live, people would just stand there. Nobody said anything about them.
        What the fuck do you expect????

Why go to all the trouble, spend all of that time in the studio and spend tons of your own money—there aren’t even any record labels anymore to put our shit out—to record a new album when people are only going to complain about it or ignore it
        Here, here!!!

Comment

• tojoro
          Head Fluffer
          • Dec 2009

Ed doesn't realize it is better if people don't mention those three new songs from BOBW. They were flat-out terrible. If he would like to settle the debate once and for all, he should release a GH comp from both eras seperately, and see which one sells better. Subconciously, he already knows what the outcome would be, but there's some serious living in denial going on there.

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by tojoro
            Ed doesn't realize it is better if people don't mention those three new songs from BOBW. They were flat-out terrible. If he would like to settle the debate once and for all, he should release a GH comp from both eras seperately, and see which one sells better. Subconciously, he already knows what the outcome would be, but there's some serious living in denial going on there.
            Then he would have to pay Spammy and Dave and Anthony. He would never do that.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

People forget that we put three new songs—“It’s About Time,” “Learning to See” and “Up for Breakfast”—on Best of Both Worlds in 2004. The reviews didn’t even mention those songs. When we played the new songs live, people would just stand there. Nobody said anything about them.
              You see, there is an inherent flaw in Mr. Van Halen's rather dubious logic here. Apparently the fact that these "songs" tend to hurl chunks all over the dashboard never entered his mind. He seems to feel a sense of entitlement with regard to the notion of puking out some material after years of silence (no matter how limited it was in quality), was to be automatically greeted by favorable response. Sorry Ed, but that ain't how things work. In most cases, there is a compact between the artist and the fan that goes something like this: In exchange for fame, fortune, unquestionable idolatry and loyalty on the part of the fan, an artist will occasionally put forth further evidence of the things that made him endearing to the fan...like new music, for instance. In this manner, both the performer and the fan are pleased.

On the contrary, EVH feels that selling a bunch of products with his name on them while failing to practice his art is somehow keeping up his end of the bargain. This is not only misguided, but it is also unforgivably idiotic and astoundingly boneheaded. Most fans could care less about the various items (hot rods, picks, amps, straps, guitars and yes, shoes) that he has been selling for years. At this point, people are only interested in what made him great in the first place, some decent songs and spellbinding guitar wizardry. Complaining like a petulant child that this is a fruitless endeavor because he fears it will not sell is the ultimate in cowardice as an artist. The guy should be ashamed of himself for being such a self-obsessed crybaby, particularly when you realize that he is openly stating that the fans (you know, the folks that allowed him to live like a king for the past 30 years or so) simply are not worth his effort at this point. Well ya know what Ed? Right back at ya, and fuck you as well.
              Last edited by chefcraig; 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...