• Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
    Gotta face it folks... It's over.

Ed has nothing left in the tank...
    Yep. Sad but true, but uh...it's all over.

Even in the event that Van Halen decided to grace us with new music, it's got the same problem Chinese Democracy did...even if it's the best fucking album in the history of modern music, it still won't live up to the expectations put on it after so many years of waiting.

Sayonara, guys. Been a fun ride.

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

It was a ride alright....Space Mountain until 1984, and then the Bermuda Triangle every fucking since. This is some frustrating shit. Why should i be surprised? For fucks sake, Jack Russell can't even stand up but god damn, he can record an album every couple of years. Krokus and Y & fucking T have new albums out.....but the mighty Van Halen don't, you can bet your ass on that. The hell with this.
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
        For fucks sake, Jack Russell can't even stand up but god damn, he can record an album every couple of years. Krokus and Y & fucking T have new albums out.....but the mighty Van Halen don't, you can bet your ass on that. The hell with this.
        Some good points there!
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• fryingdutchman
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
          Boy, they're fucking QUICK when it comes to shooting down new album rumors though, aren't they ??

New Van Halen Album Just "Rumors" Band Says
          "I don't have any updates at this time," Janie Van Halen tells RS

By Daniel Kreps
          Jul 06, 2010 3:34 PM EDT

The web was abuzz with rumors that Van Halen had completed a new album — the first with David Lee Roth back as lead singer — over July Fourth weekend, with a "source" even telling MelodicRock.com that a first single is due at the end of the year. The report also claimed that the new album, the classic Van Halen lineup's first since 1984, was nearly halfway complete and that it would be released in the first half of 2011. However, Eddie Van Halen's wife and spokesperson Janie Van Halen has denied the report exclusively to Rolling Stone. "What is going around is exactly that, rumors. I don't have any updates at this time," Janie Van Halen said.

In Feburary 2009, Eddie Van Halen told Rolling Stone he was working up new tracks for the band. "I've got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff," he said. "The essence of me is obviously there, and those drums, they're always recognizable. But people expect a certain thing from Van Halen, and this isn't exactly bang-your-head-against-the-wall stuff." As Rolling Stone previously reported, Eddie Van Halen underwent surgery in his left hand last summer to fix a bone spur, twisted tendon and a cyst in the joint of his left thumb, which required four to six months of rehabilitation. The surgery, along with Eddie's desire for his son and bassist Wolfgang to finish up high school before entering the studio, further delayed plans for Van Halen to record again with David Lee Roth.

While Eddie should be healed by now and Wolfgang is a graduate, there's been no news from the Van Halen camp. However, Ticketmaster CEO Irving Azoff accidentally let slip last September that Van Halen might be touring again in 2010; so far no plans for a tour have been announced. The band reunited with Roth in September 2007 and their 2008 reunion trek grossed $93 million.
          Well, nobody can say they weren't warned about being overly optimistic.

I hate to say "I told ya so"....

The phrase "Classic Van Halen" has officially been redefined. It no longer means "David Lee Roth, Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony."

It now means the practice of baiting fans, and then pulling the rug out from under them.

This should be fun. Let's compile a list of "Classic Van Halens" from all aspects of popular culture.

Hmmmmmm.......

Geraldo Rivera's "Al Capone's Vault" comes to mind.....
          Originally posted by perilouspete
          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Kind of interesting that the entire 2007 tour thing appears to have been little more than Ed fulfilling a masturbation fantasy of Wolfgangs...

Nostalgia shill, everything Ed once said Van Halen would never become...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Kind of interesting that the entire 2007 tour thing appears to have been little more than Ed fulfilling a masturbation fantasy of Wolfgangs...

Nostalgia shill, everything Ed once said Van Halen would never become...
              If either or both are true, then I've lost a little respect for Roth by having any part of it.
              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                If either or both are true, then I've lost a little respect for Roth by having any part of it.
                On the contrary, I find a sort of odd solace in Roth's silence. Outside of the "Meet us in the future, not the pasture" and "3 quarters original, 1 part inevitable" commentary at the pre-tour press conference, aside from picking up a paycheck while entertaining fans (unarguably, the best performance on the 2007-08 tour belonged to David Lee Roth), the only person to escape with much of his dignity intact from his association with the VH brain trust has been Dave. Tarnished? You bet. But you do not see him whining to guitar magazines about how hopeless the future appears, nor do you see the man shilling every product imaginable under the sun reflecting music, in place of actually creating it. Seriously, what is the point of Edward Van Halen appearing on tv shows (SPIKE TV's awards show, Charlie Sheen's CBS comedy, the George Lopez Show) other than a desperate and misguided attempt at vanity or relevance? The nitwit has obviously lost the plot somewhere along the line. As much as it pains me to say it, fuck Eddie Van Halen.
                Last edited by chefcraig; 07-07-2010, 09:47 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

To get almost back on topic, I find vhnd are fucking losers, as they seem to constantly regurgitate old VH news for no apparent reason. Somehow they seem to think that resurrecting old news items is better than no news at all, when in fact it makes them look like fucking idiot losers, and does nothing but piss off VH fans who actually want new info. Which is everyone, pretty much.

Do they think we are stupid? Melodi-crock is not much better, obviously.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                    To get almost back on topic, I find vhnd are fucking losers, as they seem to constantly regurgitate old VH news for no apparent reason. Somehow they seem to think that resurrecting old news items is better than no news at all, when in fact it makes them look like fucking idiot losers, and does nothing but piss off VH fans who actually want new info. Which is everyone, pretty much.

I believe that to be somewhat unfair. For one thing, maintaining a site with the words "Van Halen" in the name in today's world is nothing short of masochistic, so you have to admire the effort taking place. And considering that the only things that qualify as relevant VH news these days comes from either the band's former members making noise or whenever Edward Van Halen decides to sell another pair of sneakers/used cars/dubious musical equipment, such an endeavor is painfully wrong-headed to begin with. Nonetheless, the fellow behind it has a passion for the group, much like the rest of us. For the guy to still be attempting to make a go of things after all this time is astonishing. Yes, it's all about tilting at windmills to a degree. Convoluted, spasmodic and at times psychotically pathological of course, yet somehow admirable all the same.

As for melodicrock, at least the VHND doesn't seek out interviews with the keyboard player of Survivor, for Chrissakes.
                    Last edited by chefcraig; 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Hardrock69

I hear ya, but I'd rather Hausman regurgitate old VH news than post Chickenshit news....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        On the contrary, I find a sort of odd solace in Roth's silence. Outside of the "Meet us in the future, not the pasture" and "3 quarters original, 1 part inevitable" commentary at the pre-tour press conference, aside from picking up a paycheck while entertaining fans (unarguably, the best performance on the 2007-08 tour belonged to David Lee Roth), the only person to escape with much of his dignity intact from his association with the VH brain trust has been Dave. Tarnished? You bet. But you do not see him whining to guitar magazines about how hopeless the future appears, nor do you see the man shilling every product imaginable under the sun reflecting music, in place of actually creating it. Seriously, what is the point of Edward Van Halen appearing on tv shows (SPIKE TV's awards show, Charlie Sheen's CBS comedy, the George Lopez Show) other than a desperate and misguided attempt at vanity or relevance? The nitwit has obviously lost the plot somewhere along the line. As much as it pains me to say it, fuck Eddie Van Halen.
                        I hear ya, chef. My problem is not with Roth's silence.

I was just keying on Nick's assertion that the '07 tour was possibly one of two things...a fulfillment of Wolfgang's masturbation fantasy or the notion of making quick $$$ as a nostalgia act.

I want to (and still do) believe that DLR went into the 2007 tour under the auspices of it being a way to re-fire the engines, and get warmed up for a new chapter of VH, complete with new music. I gotta believe that if something new wasn't afoot, Dave would rip off the muzzle, say "fuck it", and come out blazing in a new direction.

The only way I would lose any respect for Dave is if he's continuing to play the VH sister's game while knowing full well nothing new is going to happen.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          I hear ya, but I'd rather Hausman regurgitate old VH news than post Chickenshit news....
                          I'm with you on that VA. The Chickenshit news is annoying.

It's the VAN HALEN News Desk...not the "Van Halen and every side project associated with current and/or former members of Van Halen News Desk."

Which I guess would make their new web address www.vhaespawcaofmovhnd.com

If there's no VAN HALEN news, then the site goes dormant. As the band goes, so should the "news desk."

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

I agree.

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

One thing is for certain, copyrights have a limited shelf-life (if or if not you agree with the aspect of copyright limitations).
                              Eddie maybe as prolific as he wishes in the privacy of his home; however, the day it was created is the day the tock starts ticking.

I have not laid the stats side by side, but I think the DLR is the most prolific published of the bunch ( in totality; art, writing, music, leadership, radio)

There are lots of examples of how other artist are addressing the lack of desire to work within the present system.
                              Some are hording. Some are managing their own houses ( for profit and not for profit)

I think we are all educated enough to grasp that as for art goes (including leadership) there is a vast difference between fame and fortune. Moreover, when reviewing historical aspects of art, history writes itself.
                              Sure historically, one can claim a brief spot, consider

Although usually named together as the three giants of the High Renaissance, Leonardo, Michelangelo and Raphael were not of the same generation. Leonardo was twenty-three when Michelangelo was born and thirty-one when Raphael was born.[45] Raphael only lived until the age of 37 and died in 1520, the year after Leonardo, but Michelangelo went on creating for another 45 years

And these are only a tiny slice that we have been taught. And the legends of history do not carry near as much documented work.
                              Last edited by Blaze; 07-07-2010, 01:30 PM.
                              "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                              sigpic

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

It all comes back to the point I've been making for a year now....

It's been about a year that Janie (I'm assuming) set up the Myspace/Facebook/Twitter/Youtube channels.... At the time, I thought those were GREAT ideas....

Why ? Because even if there is NOTHING going on, you can still interact with the fans (or start, as in Van Halen's case)... As we all know, the fans eat up any little morsel of information....

Remember when Ed (Janie) made a Twitter post that they jammed on some older tunes and they sounded great ?? That, in itself, is not earth-shattering, but to Van Halen fans, that's great to hear !!

Wolfie takes some heat because he doesn't really "use" his Facebook account, but at least he accepts friend request and hits the "like" button when new people join or comment on his "wall".... If Ed (Janie) were to do something along those lines on either the Ed F/B page or the VH F/B page, it's certainly not much, but hey, it's something.... They could make those Facebook profiles so much better, but all we see is blank shit.....

And I haven't even talked about the "official" website... Would it really kill them to do a MODERATED chat every few months ?? I emphasize MODERATED to stress that the band wouldn't have to see the assholes that would inevitably send in dumbass comments....

It's unfathomable that a band that has been around for over 30 years has a basically blank website....

And what we get is a band that refuses to interact with their fans, other than a holiday greeting now and then, or to hawk T-shirts, shoes or guitars....
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...