Getting more info from Starwood/Is he full of shit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanhalenrocks
    Full On Cocktard
    • May 2004

I'm not gonna start a new thread, I just thought this was fucking ridiculous. I think at one point I was a Rob Sheffield fan, but now, every time I glance at one of his articles I find some kind of bullshit:

From Rolling Stone: Rob Sheffield's Eighties Odyssey (posted July 15)
    Do you think your taste in music is unusually broad? You have equal love for hair metal, New Wave and hip-hop.
    I'm kind of a whore when it comes to music, especially that period. In the Eighties everybody was listening to everything, especially in the wake of Thriller. Everybody who liked rock also liked pop and everybody who liked pop also liked rock and there was this weird moment when what was playing on the rock station and what was playing on the disco station would overlap. Prince was trying to sound like Van Halen with all those guitar solos on Purple Rain in 1984. Then you listen to Van Halen's record from 1984 and they're just trying to imitate Prince. They've got "Jump," which is blatantly like, Prince's "Dirty Mind" slowed down a little. They both end up in the Top 10 of the pop charts.

Um, what? I love both records, but they couldn't be more fucking different (other than the fact they came out the same year).

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

I remember reading somewhere that Ed walked up to to Daryl Hall at some function and admitted to him that he'd stolen the hook for "Jump" from a Hall and Oats song, but I'll be damned if I can recall where I read it and what song it actually was.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Diamondjimi
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
        Several years ago, a friend and I started a list of people that Ed has either blamed or bad mouthed to the press over some perceived slight or "injustice".

17. Matt Bruck
        Matt Bruck, wtf? He's been a good dog all these years and sat at Ed's feet through thick and thin. Christ, he was probably the one Ed sent out to score Meth for him...

Matt Bruck aka Ed's Bitch
        Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by thome
          You all make like these dudes are all fukked up and can't write a lead.
          You make an excellent case to credit Dave for not sitting still with his life while Ed busies himself doing anything but providing good on his promises of new music.

So let's stick with that, and keep DLR out of the "I'm too busy getting wasted" list. If Roth was hitting the pipe I seriously doubt the training academy woulda let him hold a rifle. Let alone, have the strength to show up for classes.

And YEAH let's see another DLR Band disc with some METAL on it. Please! Anything that rocks.. not that turd Strumming With The Devil I didn't buy, something you can push pedal on a S-class up the coast to at high volumes.

Comment

• Jagermeister
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by vanhalenrocks
            WHAT THE FUCK DOES STARWOOD KNOW THAT NORMAL VH FANS DO NOT?
            It's up to you whether you believe him or not. Not to pick on Starwood but you quoted 75% of the posts he has made here in the first post in this thread. That's either saying Starwood doesn't post much or he really knows what's going on with VH. Nothing.

Comment

• vanhalenrocks
              Full On Cocktard
              • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
              And YEAH let's see another DLR Band disc with some METAL on it. Please! Anything that rocks.. not that turd Strumming With The Devil I didn't buy, something you can push pedal on a S-class up the coast to at high volumes.
              Gar has it right. I'll take DLR Band II over "Diamond Dave", "Strummin'" or "Confidentiality Agreement aka keep your mouth shut" any day of the week.

From the sounds of the bootlegs of the tour, and the 3 shows I saw personally, Dave's voice is in fine form. I'd like to hear it being utilized on some fucking TUUUNES!

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Several years ago, a friend and I started a list of people that Ed has either blamed or bad mouthed to the press over some perceived slight or "injustice". I have no idea where that thread might be now (or even at which VH-related site it was initially posted at), but off of the top of my head, it goes something like this...

1. Mark Stone
                2. Gene Simmons
                3. Joe Perry
                4. Jimmy Page
                5. Dave Roth
                6. Noel Monk
                7. Randy Rhoads
                8. Ted Templeman
                9. Donn Landee
                10. Andy Johns
                11. Bruce Fairbarn
                12. Sam Hagar
                13. Dave Roth (again)
                14. Warner Bros (pressing problems on VH III)
                15. Gary Cherone
                16. Dave Roth (seems like a trend)
                17. Matt Bruck
                18. Glenn Ballard
                19. Various "former" Guitar Companies dealt With
                20. Various guitar techs employed over the years
                21. Mike Anthony (by proxy)
                22. The fans

This list is by no means complete, yet it certainly is a testament to the fellow's character over the years, or more directly the lack of it.

You forgot inanimate objects like the metal guitar pick for giving him cancer.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• vanhalenrocks
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • May 2004

Several years ago, a friend and I started a list of people that Ed has either blamed or bad mouthed to the press over some perceived slight or "injustice". I have no idea where that thread might be now (or even at which VH-related site it was initially posted at), but off of the top of my head, it goes something like this...

1. Mark Stone
                  2. Gene Simmons
                  3. Joe Perry
                  4. Jimmy Page
                  5. Dave Roth
                  6. Noel Monk
                  7. Randy Rhoads
                  8. Ted Templeman
                  9. Donn Landee
                  10. Andy Johns
                  11. Bruce Fairbarn
                  12. Sam Hagar
                  13. Dave Roth (again)
                  14. Warner Bros (pressing problems on VH III)
                  15. Gary Cherone
                  16. Dave Roth (seems like a trend)
                  17. Matt Bruck
                  18. Glenn Ballard
                  19. Various "former" Guitar Companies dealt With
                  20. Various guitar techs employed over the years
                  21. Mike Anthony (by proxy)
                  22. The fans

This list is by no means complete, yet it certainly is a testament to the fellow's character over the years, or more directly the lack of it.
                  It would be interesting as hell to get sources for all of these. I've personally seen about half of these folks get shit in print from Eddie, but to have them all in one place would be an entertaining read!

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    You forgot inanimate objects like the metal guitar pick for giving him cancer.
                    I never could wrap my head around that belief of his. Considering the amount of people that shovel forks and spoons into their mouths every day, how come everyone isn't walking around with cancer?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

I never could wrap my head around that belief of his. Considering the amount of people that shovel forks and spoons into their mouths every day, how come everyone isn't walking around with cancer?
                      Denial takes many forms. My mother in law is about 200 pounds overweight yet she is convinced she needs knee replacement surgery to cure her knee pain. She refuses to accept the reality that losing weight will likely cure, or at least improve significantly, the problem.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

I personally blame the following people in my life for fucking things up for me, bringing me to my knees and unable to record the music the world is waiting for..

1. Betty Ford
                        2. Count Chocula
                        3. Barack Obama (see #2 same dude)
                        4. Simon Weaselthal
                        5. Colonel Klink
                        6. Mister Spock
                        7. Dr. Spock (see #6 same dude)
                        8. Mr. Spook (see #3 and #2 same dude)
                        9. Mario, and his brother
                        10. Sara Lee
                        11. Jose
                        12. Hose B and his brothers (see #11, same wetback by proxy)
                        13. Colonel Sanders
                        14. The fans.. that I didn't have supporting me, that I don't appreciate, due to wealth I couldn't accumulate such as we've seen in the current subjective issue of "why can't Eddie work?"

Comment

• vanhalenrocks
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • May 2004

On Howard Stern, he explained how the metal guitar pick he used to hold in his mouth is probably what caused it due to him being in an electro magnetic field in the studio he works in.

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            Denial takes many forms.
                            NO it doesn't - quit sidetracking..

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

On Howard Stern, he explained how the metal guitar pick he used to hold in his mouth is probably what caused it due to him being in an electro magnetic field in the studio he works in.
                              By that logic, anyone eating a Cup O Noodles in the break room at work should then get cancer when someone microwaves a burrito.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I know I'm new here, but Starwood is the only dude who posts shit I actually care about: purported information about (non) progress on a new album featuring Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

Is no one grilling him for more info because he's posting his opinion for entertainment? What am I missing here?
                                What's to challenge... That sleezbag Starwood is bangin Ed's maid. He's a legendary bottom feeder... this fits his MO. Remember his mantra... Will work for skank!!
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...