Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

A buddy of mine told me about 10 years ago that VH went downhill when Ed stopped doing coke....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      My new band is called Chickenfood...
      But Sam is in the band. CHICKENFUCK is probably a more accurate name because when Sam comes into the barnyard the chickens run to avoid being raped.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        why would he even WANT to come back into the band now if financially the same situation were to exist?

Because a small percentage of a real Van Halen reunion is going to be much much larger than an equal percentage of Chickenfoot.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VHscraps
          Veteran
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
          I dunno...I thought they made a couple of good albums after Fair Warning.
          I think 1984 is a great album, but it was the beginning of the end.

It could be for lots of reasons. But I think it might have been a combination of being married and having the studio. Okay he got married in '81, but went straight on tour for most of 1981 after finishing in the studio with FW. Then, bounced into the studio at the turn of 1982, followed by touring from summer 82 to the end of the year. The beginning of '83, when the studio was being built probably coincided with his first extended bout of domestic life with the new wife.

And she, of course, was telling him not to let Dave run the band. Put that together with the studio, and marginalising Templeman as well - and hey presto, the writing is on the wall.

When they were making all those earlier albums - right up to Diver Down - they were still rehearsing and working up tunes in the basement of Dave's father's house. On Dave time, in other words. Soon as Eddie got control, it began to kill the spontaneity. They were on Ed time - we've all seen in the last dozen or so years how productive he is (i.e., is not!). Instead of taking a week (or a few weeks at most) to record, 1984 is stretched out over about 6-7 months (March/April 83 to Oct 83).
          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Terry
            A pretty good tune, guitar-wise. Can't say as I cared much for the Simmons drums or the way the tune was produced from an engineering standpoint.
            Before Al was put into the converted Racquetball/drum room...........instrument bleed and space was a huge concern, hence the Simmons drums.
            Originally posted by vandeleur
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I think something goes to pot when you no longer really play in front of a live audience. The clubs are just over the hill from ed and does he ever go down to the Roxy or Whiskey for a sit in jam? Never. He hides in his studio and lives in a bubble and surrounded by people who kiss his ass.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• VHscraps
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  I think something goes to pot when you no longer really play in front of a live audience. The clubs are just over the hill from ed and does he ever go down to the Roxy or Whiskey for a sit in jam? Never. He hides in his studio and lives in a bubble and surrounded by people who kiss his ass.
                  Exactly. But, hey, he has new adaptations of The StripesTM (on t-shirts, shoes, etc) to approve.

Always a loner as well - and even in the 70s, VH kept themselves apart from the other bands who played around Hollywood. Partly 'cos they were from Pasadena, but also because they consciously didn't mix. That probably helped them develop their own unqiue style - but now, as you say, Ed's just cut himself off from the lifeblood of music: performance, the audience, etc.

Thing is - he was such a great performer once. Not just playing, but putting on a show.
                  THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Full episode (courtesy VHND):

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:vh1.com:1650836" width="512" height="319" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1650836%26uri%3Dmgid% 3Auma%3Avideolist%3Avh1.com%3A1650836%26instance%3 Dfullepisode" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div><a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:10px; color:#000000; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/shows/ " onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">VH1 TV Shows</a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:'none';" href="http://www.vh1.com/video/music.jhtml" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Music Videos </a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration:none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/photos/ " onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">Celebrity Photos</a> | <a style="padding:0px 4px 0px 10px; font-family:Verdana,sans-serif; font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-size:10px; text-decoration: none;" href="http://www.vh1.com/news/" onmouseover="this.style.textDecoration='underline' " onmouseout="this.style.textDecoration='none'" target="_blank">News & Gossip</a></div>
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...