X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by WACF
    Heard on Trunk's XM show that the invite is out there for all of VH...he figures they have not done any press because they don't have anything to push yet.
    They didn't do any last tour either, so who knows...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
      that was the funny thing, Trunk was complaining about hearing 1984 and Jump the first time and thinking "what are these keyboards?" and took a little swipe at I'll Wait. then he totally glosses over the fact that the keyboard songs on 5150 are MUCH sappier than the ones on 1984.

i also thought Trunk was being courteous to MA due to the Sammy connection, and Trunk even said he'd love to have Sammy on the show.

after Trunk practically cried about someone mentioning the '96 tracks being included on the '07 tour ("why would they play those awful songs?" in a whiny voice), i didn't care too much about his opinion. that and he's known as a KISS suckass. next week's show with Kulick should be good for 25 minutes of puckered lips to Kulick's ass.
      I'll say this about Trunk's explanation - I agree with him to a small extent. Yes, the keyboards turned me off too... Still do to this day.... However, you simply cannot exclude the great songs of 1984 (Panama, Hot for Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, House of Pain) and say that the songs on 5150 (Good Enough, Summer Nights and the sappy ballads) made that a better album....

Let's not forget, 5150 had plenty of their songs with keyboards - Why Can't This Be Love, Dreams, Love Walks In.....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        I'll say this about Trunk's explanation - I agree with him to a small extent. Yes, the keyboards turned me off too... Still do to this day.... However, you simply cannot exclude the great songs of 1984 (Panama, Hot for Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, House of Pain) and say that the songs on 5150 (Good Enough, Summer Nights and the sappy ballads) made that a better album....

Let's not forget, 5150 had plenty of their songs with keyboards - Why Can't This Be Love, Dreams, Love Walks In.....

The only song I actually like from 5150 is the song "5150". Not the words or chorus or anything. I just really dig the guitar & especially the drums in that song.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VHscraps
          Veteran
          • Jul 2009

When was the last time anyone listened to '5150'?

Despite having been a big fan, since the late 70s, of the first Montrose album (i.e., Hagar's best album of his entire career), I am so disgusted by what happened to VH after Roth left and he joined that while I continued buying the albums up until the horribly-named 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge', it was with a keen awareness that it wasn't going to get better, and that saying to anyone that you were a fan of VAn Halen was likely to be followed by mocking guffaws - that's what Hagar did to the reputation DLR helped establish

Yeah, the guitar work on 5150, the tune, is cool, and Why Can't This Be Love (despite the cack sentiment and synths) is a good pop tune - but there's so much filler on that record. 'Get Up'? = garbage. 'Inside' = garbage 'Dreams' = middle of the road cack. 'Love Walks In' = ugh ugh ugh. CAll that Van Halen!? Ugh.

Can't even remember what else is on it - Eat 'Em and Smile blew it away. But, of course, Van Hagar benefitted from having the brand name, and so continued fairly successfully. 1984 is a vastly superior album.

And it wasn't just the music that went south - it was the attitude. All those Van Hagar album sleeves - apart from OU812, which was a portrait harking after a Beatles album - had truly awful 'we have no character anymore' quality to them, as well. They symbolized the increasingly vapid rock-by-numbers contents.

I don't know who Eddie Trunk is, but any fool who thinks 5150 is better than anything they did with Roth is a no-brain dipshit who doesn't know what attitude is.

Don't listen to the fool, people.
          Last edited by VHscraps; 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM.
          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            They actually tried to compare 1984 and 5150... Trunk and dumbass Kip Winger actually preferred 5150...

WTF Lounge?
            Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              that was the funny thing, Trunk was complaining about hearing 1984 and Jump the first time and thinking "what are these keyboards?" and took a little swipe at I'll Wait. then he totally glosses over the fact that the keyboard songs on 5150 are MUCH sappier than the ones on 1984.

i also thought Trunk was being courteous to MA due to the Sammy connection, and Trunk even said he'd love to have Sammy on the show.

after Trunk practically cried about someone mentioning the '96 tracks being included on the '07 tour ("why would they play those awful songs?" in a whiny voice), i didn't care too much about his opinion. that and he's known as a KISS suckass. next week's show with Kulick should be good for 25 minutes of puckered lips to Kulick's ass.
              Trunk is a full on Cocktard. He probably doesn't even listen to Metal when he's by himself...
              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Some clips are starting to get uploaded...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4axHDpCKrg4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4axHDpCKrg4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/av35zxEuP2M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/av35zxEuP2M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK0KtxFFWkM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bK0KtxFFWkM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• basstar66
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Sep 2010

Kip Winger

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I didn't know they made 11 albums.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I don't think Michael Anthony played on VHIII...

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2006

toooooooooooooooooooooool

I didn't see show but Trunk's comments virtually guarantee EVH will never be on that show, he may even try to keep DLR off.
                        Yes Trunk is a tool but I watch the show for the guests.
                        "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          To save time, here is the entire That Metal Show segment featuring Michael Anthony...

Eddie Trunk: So, welcome to the show, Mike!
                          Anthony: Thank you.
                          Jim Florentine: We've wanted to get VH on the show for years, but you're the best we could do.
                          Anthony: Ummm, wait a minute...
                          Don Jamieson: So why aren't you in the band?
                          Anthony: That's a good question.
                          Trunk: Are they recording?
                          Anthony: I dunno...
                          Florentine: Sucks being replaced by a fat kid, eh?
                          Anthony: Hey!
                          Trunk: Oh well, what's up with Chickenfood?
                          Anthony: We are taking a break...
                          Florentine: Story of your life, eh?
                          Anthony: Hey!
                          Trunk: OK, thanks Mike. Up next, one of the guys from Tesla is going to tell us about his new cook book. We'll be right back.
                          Sad part is that's pretty close to what the actual interview was.

Anthony had nothing of consequence to say regarding any of the biz as to why he isn't in VH.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            The only song I actually like from 5150 is the song "5150". Not the words or chorus or anything. I just really dig the guitar & especially the drums in that song.
                            A pretty good tune, guitar-wise. Can't say as I cared much for the Simmons drums or the way the tune was produced from an engineering standpoint.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

MA seems like a cool enough guy. I'd love to have a beer with him....and then slap his pudgy little face. 5150 and forward basically took a dump on what was CVH. Instead of owning up to what garbage they recorded he wants to follow Sammy around trying to validate him as the next messiah. Well fuck him. Sammy is the pied piper of the skin flute with all the little sheep following him around trying to suck him off. Does this make Mike a sheep? You're damn right it does. Would i like Mike to come back and record/tour with the CVH lineup? Yeah...i guess for the nastalgia effect. Could he shut his mouth long enough to do it? Hell no.
                              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                                A pretty good tune, guitar-wise. Can't say as I cared much for the Simmons drums or the way the tune was produced from an engineering standpoint.
                                Yeah. Most people hated the sound of the drums from that album. I just like them in the song 5150 cause he does a shitload of fills & runs or whatever they are called. Always my favorite thing for a drummer to add in to a song, and Alex overloads that tune with it.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...