X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
    Ed can't be THAT afraid of releasing anything that isn't perfect (VHIII?)...but it does seem like Ed is afraid at times of unleashing memories of CVH, when the band were at their apex...it feels like Ed is still operating under the mindset that Van Halen have a creative future and he doesn't want to dwarf that potential with reminders of when they WERE the baddest rock band on the planet.

I think Van Halen, regardless of Roth being back in the band now, probably are an entity that is just not gonna be able to produce anything these days that approaches the excellence of what they created all those years ago. The Roth tour of a few years ago was, given the years of wasted time and substance abuse, perhaps the best they could do in terms of saying farewell on a positive note. With all of that in mind, it makes no sense to NOT get whatever old material they have out there...the only logical reason I can think of is that Ed still considers himself as on the top of the rock heap and as an 'artist' with a viable future. Either that, or he just doesn't give a fuck. Or maybe both.
    I also think Ed's a perfectionist, Terry....

Probably the reason why the US Festival, although they were hammered/high, was never released outside of the Showtime special....

Or why the Oakland '81 show has never been released.... [ I think we've uncovered substantial evidence to show that thing exists in it's entirety, in what shape, I don't know ]

But overall, I think you're right, I just think whatever it takes to NOT talk about the Roth era, that's what he's gonna do....

Because the day they release something out of the "vault", the onslaught of press inquiries start....

Which is exactly the reason why they did no press outside the initial press conference last tour, which if you think about it, is fucking amazing not to do any press.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• CROWBAR
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Ed can't be THAT afraid of releasing anything that isn't perfect (VHIII?)...but it does seem like Ed is afraid at times of unleashing memories of CVH, when the band were at their apex...it feels like Ed is still operating under the mindset that Van Halen have a creative future and he doesn't want to dwarf that potential with reminders of when they WERE the baddest rock band on the planet.

I think Van Halen, regardless of Roth being back in the band now, probably are an entity that is just not gonna be able to produce anything these days that approaches the excellence of what they created all those years ago. The Roth tour of a few years ago was, given the years of wasted time and substance abuse, perhaps the best they could do in terms of saying farewell on a positive note. With all of that in mind, it makes no sense to NOT get whatever old material they have out there...the only logical reason I can think of is that Ed still considers himself as on the top of the rock heap and as an 'artist' with a viable future. Either that, or he just doesn't give a fuck. Or maybe both.
      I kind of think in his mind that it was as near perfect as he could get (VDIII) and it was definitely the direction he was interested in going at that time. As we all know, it sucked and wasn't very well received. I think Ed is afraid to release anything now because of risking anymore failures with fans. He won't go out on that limb anymore after that poor reception. It's unfortunate for us though.

Is there really a whole 1981 show from Memphis floating around the bootleg circles? Or is it just a handful of songs on youtube?

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Is it being a perfectionist..? Or just a downright damn embarassment..?

Look at it this way... how many of you would be proud to share with the whole planet, video & audio recordings of yourself in the past, drunk off your ass, higher than a kite, dressed up in spandex tights and goofy clothes from the 80's stumbling through a less than perfect musical performance..?

We see it from the outside lookin in... it's a whole different perspective watching your own drunk ass perserved on film/tape of some of your less than proud moments in life... Think about it...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2004

So, what was the excuse for Live Without a Net then?
          I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Comment

• ZahZoo
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThatArtGuy
              So, what was the excuse for Live Without a Net then?
              Best way to describe it is like a regular occurance down in the South... Some dumbass yahoo gets drunk and proclaims... Hey y'all watch this!!

Ed & Al had one of those moments...
              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Carloscda
                Foot Soldier
                • Jan 2009

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist but from what we see from that 81 footage he was mind blowing!! The solo's he did in STIL I've never heard again in any boots!!

The US Fest Dave was off in the beginning but came on strong towards the end. And as much as people slam Al from every boot I've heard I have yet to hear him mess up! When Ed did miss a beat he was right there to reel him back in.

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

Has anyone seen this?

seems to be more of the footage that jimi found earlier this year.
                  Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Yeah, it's the same footage posted and discussed here last year. Merging.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jcrizzy
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Feb 2012

1981 Oakland. It's about time to bring this back up. They're out touring now....and tons of HD video gets uploaded to youtube for each show...... Uh....now what's holding EVH back from putting out the Holy Grail that all the fans want. VH at their height of greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1981

Comment

• mdk1967
                        Roadie
                        • Feb 2004

Yo bros,

Everyone needs to go to vhtrading.com to have almost all your questions answered. ...Been there almost as long as here.
                        The FW footage in question was shot professionally by Entertainment Tonight, I believe. The Texas Jam was pro shot as news footage by a local TV station.
                        The US Festival was professional shot and edited for Showtime and broadcast on the screens they had at the show. Access to this footage is out there but you have to be willing to pay a licensing fee for it and agree NOT to sell it. VH does not own the rights to it.

Since 1991, HISTORIC FILMS ARCHIVE, LLC. has provided hundreds of thousands of clips to award winning documentaries, television programs, feature films, and television commercials. HISTORIC'S world renowned library of musical performance and entertainment footage spans a century and contains over 45,000 individual performances from over 35 different television networks and programs; from Elvis Presley's first ever TV appearances to recent concert performances by Rhiana, Britney Spears and Amy Winehouse... every genre of American music, from the jazz of Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, the blues of Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, B.B. King and Bonnie Rait, the country music of Hank Williams, Garth Brooks, Bill Monroe and Loretta Lynn, the gospel of Mahalia Jackson, Sister Rosetta Tharp and James Cleveland to the contemporary rap of Snoop Dogg is represented in our library... and it is all immediately available for preview and licensing.

Historic Films' collection of stock footage spans the years 1895 to 2010 and consists of over 50,000 hours of footage.

The Oakland '81 show is the Holy Grail and supposedly no one knows if the entire show was even completely filmed.

Stay Frosty!
                        Last edited by mdk1967; 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• chi-town324
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Feb 2007

with them releasing so much new video in the past 2 months...maybe Oakland isn't too far off?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by mdk1967
                            Yo bros,

Everyone needs to go to vhtrading.com to have almost all your questions answered. ...Been there almost as long as here.
                            The FW footage in question was shot professionally by Entertainment Tonight, I believe. The Texas Jam was pro shot as news footage by a local TV station.
                            The US Festival was professional shot and edited for Showtime and broadcast on the screens they had at the show. Access to this footage is out there but you have to be willing to pay a licensing fee for it and agree NOT to sell it. VH does not own the rights to it.

Since 1991, HISTORIC FILMS ARCHIVE, LLC. has provided hundreds of thousands of clips to award winning documentaries, television programs, feature films, and television commercials. HISTORIC'S world renowned library of musical performance and entertainment footage spans a century and contains over 45,000 individual performances from over 35 different television networks and programs; from Elvis Presley's first ever TV appearances to recent concert performances by Rhiana, Britney Spears and Amy Winehouse... every genre of American music, from the jazz of Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Billie Holiday, the blues of Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, B.B. King and Bonnie Rait, the country music of Hank Williams, Garth Brooks, Bill Monroe and Loretta Lynn, the gospel of Mahalia Jackson, Sister Rosetta Tharp and James Cleveland to the contemporary rap of Snoop Dogg is represented in our library... and it is all immediately available for preview and licensing.

Historic Films' collection of stock footage spans the years 1895 to 2010 and consists of over 50,000 hours of footage.

The Oakland '81 show is the Holy Grail and supposedly no one knows if the entire show was even completely filmed.

Stay Frosty!
                            Oh for Christ sakes, vhtrading doesn't know a damn bit more than anyone else does....

Read these threads, and then tell me that vhtrading knows more...

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• mdk1967
                              Roadie
                              • Feb 2004

I didn't say they knew more. I said they'd answer ALMOST all of your questions. It was just a suggestion.

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              Oh for Christ sakes, vhtrading doesn't know a damn bit more than anyone else does....

Read these threads, and then tell me that vhtrading knows more...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...hlight=oakland

Comment

• danielc
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2004

Old news ass wipe
                                http://classicvanhalen.com/photopost...o=3712&cat=528

Comment

Working...