Billy Sheehan wants a CVH reunion...AND an EEAS band reunion!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
    Satriani compliments Hagar perfectly.
    Sammy Hagar is much like tofu. He has no real flavor of his own to contribute to a dish, and merely sucks up the flavors of others, thus diluting anything he is added to. Just say no to tofu.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Whether you like Satriani or not, you have to admire his talent.

Plenty of guys have made those 'hey mom, look at me' guitar albums in his wake, but how many of them have combined dexterity with melody and memorability? Not many.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Only recording I ever admired by Joe was 'Engines Of Creation' but his playing does get rather old in terms of endless electronic gadgetry and high-treble tone (at least to my ears). Speaking of tone, I had no clue Eric Johnson had a new one out.

Have not heard it but it does feature Sonny Landreth so it must be worth a listen.

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Flying In a Blue Dream would be my favourite Satriani album. It's a toss up between that and Vai's 'Passion & Warfare' for top of the guitar wizzardry records for me I think: I have to say that I have to be in the mood for that kind of stuff though.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
            Flying In a Blue Dream would be my favourite Satriani album. It's a toss up between that and Vai's 'Passion & Warfare' for top of the guitar wizzardry records for me I think: I have to say that I have to be in the mood for that kind of stuff though.
            Yes, it pretty much comes down to Blue Dream or Surfing with the Alien for most people. To tell you the truth, I'd rather go with that weird hybrid Time Machine album from 1993. For one thing, it's a reasonably priced summing up of his early work, and for another, I bought it the same day that Columbia finally got around to remastering and releasing Aerosmith's Live Bootleg. Both albums stayed in my truck's CD player for months afterward.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

is 'Time Machine' the one with the endless jam towards the end and an additional live disc?

If so, I seem to remember the live shit was gooooooood.

Comment

• Anonymous
                Banned
                • May 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                Sammy Hagar is much like tofu. He has no real flavor of his own to contribute to a dish, and merely sucks up the flavors of others, thus diluting anything he is added to. Just say no to tofu.
                As spokened by a Chef.

Tofu... NO!

Save the Earth. Eat meat.

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                  is 'Time Machine' the one with the endless jam towards the end and an additional live disc?

If so, I seem to remember the live shit was gooooooood.
                  That's the one. The track you are describing was called "Woodstock Jam" and went on for around 15 minutes or so, as I recall. The bassists he used were all monsters, including Stu Hamm and Doug Wimbish. The drummers were not slouches either, as they included Simon Phillips and (I think) Gregg Bissonette.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

There was a period in my early teens where I was obsessed with Vai and Satriani - then I discovered Stevie Ray Vaughan and realized just how powerful a guitar could sound.

When the mood take me though, you can't beat stuff like 'Back to Shal Bal' (sp?) or 'The Audience Is Listening' for energy.....

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

At least with Vai and Satriani you are getting well thought out music, instead of all of those ghastly shredder albums put out by labels like Shrapnel Records all through the eighties. The general premise was string some chords together, teach the drummer and bassist how they went, start the song and recorder, play rhythm for about a minute or so and then start soloing. Repeat for next 8 or 9 songs, throw in an acoustic ballad, find a spectacularly crummy album cover of a planet or something space-like to wrap it in, and you are done.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

And then learn to cultivate that pensive, eyes shut, far-away look whilst playing live on tour.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

...To audiences composed primarily of young, impressionable guitar fans and (maybe) their bored girlfriends, whom the latter of the two will shortly talk them out of attending said shows. Soon enough, the audience dwindles to the point where you wind up playing guitar for UFO. (Sorry, Vinnie.)

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Followed by an unlistenable 'back to my roots' blues album.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Ya know what the pisser is? Most of this tried and true RnR cliche stuff came out of watching the career of Peter Frampton. There was a parody list of "events" that would take place in a guitarist's career, printed by either Creem or a guitar magazine in the late seventies. Some of them included (and I'm going by memory and freely improvising here, so bear with):

Come seemingly out of nowhere
                              Release album to big success
                              Record follow-up album to big success that bombs
                              Blame album's dismal performance on alcohol, bad production or manager
                              Vow that next album will "get back to real rock and roll", something the artist never played in the first place
                              Release next album to overwhelming indifference
                              Repeat last step
                              Repeat last step
                              Disappear
                              Return roughly two or three years later by playing in another artist's backing band, or make several low key guest appearances on albums that sell only marginally better than your own last effort
                              Appear in a sitcom as yourself
                              Go on tour opening for REO Speedwagon, Styx or (God forbid) whomever is in Journey this week
                              Endorse equipment that you will never use
                              Re-release original hit album in ten, twenty and (if you are lucky) twenty fifth anniversary editions
                              Go on tour playing in between sets by REO Speedwagon, Styx or (God forbid) whomever is in Journey this week
                              Write memoir/tell all book about all of above, mention unhappy childhood
                              Promote book
                              Headline on tour over REO Speedwagon, Styx or (God forbid) whomever is in Journey this week
                              Last edited by chefcraig; 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Return roughly two or three years later by playing in another artist's backing band, or make several low key guest appearances on albums that sell only marginally better than your own last effort
                                Appear in a sitcom as yourself

[Insert lame car insurance commercial appearance here]

Go on tour with REO Speedwagon, Styx or (God forbid) whomever is in Journey this week
                                Endorse equipment that you will never use...

Comment

Working...