• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flappo
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

..i dunno , maybe check it out on google

..here's some other grate links

http://www.barbneal.com/wav.asp ( sounds )

http://www.barnabyi.freeserve.co.uk/frcpage/ ( FR&Catflap )

and the goodies !

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

The only songs I listen to repeatedly on 1984 are Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad and Panama.

And even then, they get old after a while.

My vote is for 1984, worst Classic VH album.
      I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Steve Savicki
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Lou
        Now, when you look at it, it's the first chapter of a bad story.
        I'd say just the prelude. As long as Roth sang on it, it doesn't deserve a whole chapter of bad story. Chapter 1 is 5150.
        sigpic

Comment

• flappo
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

..i'll wait WAS awful tho'

..along with how many say i and most of van hagar , it's the kinda shit that eddie should be ashamed of

Comment

• pete
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by flappo
            ..i'll wait WAS awful tho'
            thanks drew carey

let me ask you guys

do you remeber the 1st time you heard "drop dead legs"?

i do

how soon we forget those special moments when we relish, relive, and bitch about our misery.

you know, i just hear an amazing body of music in a short period of time. DD was recorded in, like, 10 days. i spend 10 days on a song. the 6-pack is legendary. from beginning to end.

anybody who can criticize any of it, is retarded. you're the guys who give DIO a job in this day and age. (only a 14 yr old mentality can get something out of that shit) BUAH BUAH buahhahahahahaha
            Last edited by pete; 01-24-2004, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• pete
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

the only thing i can say, sorta negative about classic VH and Dave is "I wish he'd put more effort into the musicality of his live performances"

Comment

• flappo
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

..grate edit , dipshit

Comment

• pete
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by flappo
                  ..grate edit , dipshit
                  thanks , I thought it was "grate" too, Einstein

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Am pretty much partial to Fair Warning above all the other classic releases. Definitely gets the most spin time on my player.

With 1984, even when the album was first released, the title track/album intro was filler. Hasn't gotten any better with age. Jump was okay until it was played into the ground by radio, video and at every sporting event within the first year of it's release. If I never heard that song again, no big loss. Panama is in the same boat. I'll Wait may not have gotten as much play as the former two, but stinks on ice nonetheless.

Top Jimmy is decent.

Drop Dead Legs is a classic track. Great lyrics plus that three track guitar stomp fade out at the end.

Hot For Teacher still smokes.

Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain are also classics. Even though Roth's contributions are kind of mimimal on those songs, the band is still cooking.

Don't really care for the production of that album. Never did. The electronic drums haven't aged well, although were thankfully not as shitty sounding as they were on 5150. Alex did some good stuff on 1984. Roth's performance seems subdued at times. The songs I ended up enjoying and still do are almost in spite of the way they were recorded. But at least Ed's sound was still fairly recognizable. By the time 5150 rolled around, the clarity of production and sonic punch of the instruments which were on the wane in 1984 had been totally replaced by a muffled mid-tone sludge. No high or low end. Never mind Sam's vocals or lyrics, or even what notes the band was playing post-Roth; just the instrumental recorded SOUND was terrible, and you could hear it coming on 1984.

1984 and Diver Down probably get the least amount of repeat play by me, but Diver Down had some classic tracks like Secrets, Hang 'Em High, The Full Bug and Little Guitars to offset the novelty tracks. Even Big Bad Bill has humor and charm to it.

If classic Halen were to reunite and gave the entire 1984 album a miss (I know they'd obviously play Jump if nothing else), that'd be fine with me.

Steve, More Fun In The New World? Fair enough. I'll continue living Under The Big Black Sun.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Isn`t this like two bald men fighting over a comb?

To be honest, though, 1984 was the first VH album I got but would be the last one I would play if I had all six at my disposal (which I do).

And that`s not to say that it`s bad, just keeping in the context of the question.

The others contain stuff which is arguably more exciting.

When you`ve got the top guitarist of the era in your band, you don`t want to hear him play the keyboard.

Know what I`m saying?
                      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• High Life Man
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hecubus
                        You'd better take that back right now!!!

I will not have Michael McDonald taint any classic =VH= album!!!!!
                        :pow:
                        Heh.

Check out the liner notes...

M McD had his fingers in that pie.

How long will it be before Dave starts hawking MCI The Neighborhood?

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                          • Jan 2004

Re: 1984

Originally posted by Terry
                          Steve, More Fun In The New World? Fair enough. I'll continue living Under The Big Black Sun.
                          Ahh, ya like their original punk form, eh?
                          "Big Black Sun" was great as well.
                          sigpic

Comment

• flappo
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

hello steve

haven't you been banned from that harry potter site yet for emailing the under twelves pictures of your genitalia ?

Comment

• Dave IS VH

1984 was a good album but not the best by the band. Everyone claims 1984 was their 2nd best album from the band after Van Halen their debut album. The Biggest hit song Jump was more Rock meets Pop instead of straight up rock which most of Roth era was. You have to remember the 1984 album was when Dave and Eddie started to have their problems. I have always wonder what would 5150 sound like if Roth stayed in VH. Eddie wrote half of the album for Roth and half for Sammy.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave IS VH
                                1984 was a good album but not the best by the band. Everyone claims 1984 was their 2nd best album from the band after Van Halen their debut album. The Biggest hit song Jump was more Rock meets Pop instead of straight up rock which most of Roth era was. You have to remember the 1984 album was when Dave and Eddie started to have their problems. I have always wonder what would 5150 sound like if Roth stayed in VH. Eddie wrote half of the album for Roth and half for Sammy.
                                Doubt Roth would have stuck around long enough to record 5150, even if there hadn't been problems beforehand.....boils down to what he said in Crazy From The Heat, about not wanting to stick around and commit poetic felonies doing melancholy power ballads.

Thinking about what Van Halen put out before Roth left and what was released after 1985, makes you wonder how much influence he had over the muscial content of the band.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...