X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Troubles
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    "BOLD" could be an acronym for "Best Of Lonesome Dave", but that would make it a Foghat album.

i immediately thought "we die bold"... maybe they'll re-do it?

i dunno?
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Questions about this.

1) How come Van Halen have writers credits on Big Bad Bill? Did they buy it?

2) Michael Anthony seems to have given up his rights to the 1984 album but not to any of the others. According to this he is even listed for Up For Breakfast and How Many Say I. (Although if it was me I would be trying to get my name taken off those)
      I believe it was only 2 songs on 1984 that his name disappeared from the credits... Panama and Jump. I think it was on the remasters or BOV1.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        I believe it was only 2 songs on 1984 that his name disappeared from the credits... Panama and Jump. I think it was on the remasters or BOV1.
        On this database he's gone from all of it.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Wikki seems accurate

The album's original release credits all songs to Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth.[citation needed] The label on the UK single release for "I'll Wait" (catalog #W9213) credited Michael McDonald as a co-writer, but he was not credited on the U.S. version of the single (catalog #7-29307).[citation needed]

Songs from this album which appeared on compilations released after a royalty renegotiation with the band's label Warner Bros. (Best of Volume I, 1996) and a lawsuit brought by David Lee Roth (during the preparations for The Best of Both Worlds compilation, 2004)[citation needed], were credited to Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth, with Michael Anthony's name removed from the credits, as evident in the end song credits of the 2007 film Superbad. Subsequently, Anthony has been removed from all songwriting credits on the 1984 album.

The entry for the album on the ASCAP database lists the songwriters for all songs as (alphabetically by surname) Michael Anthony, David Lee Roth, Alex Van Halen and Edward Van Halen.[1] The ASCAP entry for "I'll Wait" lists Michael McDonald as co-writer. Like many bands starting out on their career, Van Halen shared songwriting credit equally between all members (including guitar instrumentals, which were clearly composed only by Edward Van Halen), but subsequent claims would lend credibility to the view that all songs were entirely or predominantly written by Edward Van Halen (music) and David Lee Roth (lyrics and vocal melody).

In 2004, Roth discovered that the rest of the band had renegotiated a more preferential royalty rate with Warner Brothers for all releases made during his time as lead singer, giving them a royalty rate five times greater than his.[2] It is likely that the removal of Michael Anthony from the songwriting credits results from Roth's claim to have a greater claim of the band's song publishing for this album, due to the fact that he had been cut out of the separate royalty renegotiation with Warner Bros. Records, which according to Roth happened around 1994.
          I guess MA might be a little annoyed with Roth now.

I never fully realised the impact of the case. They must have thrown Roth the crumbs of splitting writing royalties on 1984 3 ways rather than 4, wonder why it isn't for all 6 albums?

Also it seems the Doobie brothers keyboard player wrote the riff to I'll Wait which I never realised either. I guess this is old news to people that bought the last compilation album.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Mike is taking the high road and not talking dirt. He just said he had a good run with VH over many years but things have turned strange with the band. Mike said he gets Eddie wanting his son in the band but what he doesn't get is the erasing of Michael Anthony from the history of the band. Mike just said they can do that but the fans and the public know what I brought to the table. He said Roth being back in the band but not doing interviews is very strange. Mike said he worked with Dave enough years to know nobody tells Dave what to do and Dave loves to do interviews and shows. He said, you never hear Dave anymore, it's like they have him locked up somewhere and Mike said that isn't Dave at all. At least not the one he worked with. Mike just said the whole thing is strange.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Hard rock legends Van Halen are hard at work on a new album with original vocalist David Lee Roth, according to a statement made late last week BY ITS MUSIC PUBLISHERS. Various reports also suggest the group will hit the road upon the LP's completion sometime next year.

"The band is currently in the studio recording an album with Roth that is due for release in 2011," read an announcement by Warner/Chappell, which announced the Van Halen camp had renewed its longstanding deal. The album with Roth would mark the first time the singer has appeared on a full album of new music with the group since '1984' was released more than a quarter century ago.

Billboard also revealed that Live Nation Promotions Executive Irving Azoff -- who serves as the band's manager -- spoke of the 2011 tour during a conference about concert industry earnings on Aug. 5.

Van Halen's last proper studio album, 'Van Halen III' was recorded in 1998 with Extreme frontman Gary Cherone on vocals. The band and Roth put aside their longstanding differences in 2008 for a successful North American tour.

before you all piss on this since it's from spinner, that's been reported on numerous sites that it was confirmed by who? (this is a test)

but Thrills, it's an old link..........Yes but it was soon after Jamie shot it down, but some still want to think a new album is a rumor.
              Believe it when you see it, of course, but that's as official as we're going to see until it drops.

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Sheesh. All the royalty & songwriting credits stuff is exactly like a marriage. Everything starts out equal and everyone shares. But man, the shit sure can hit the fan when things go south. I always liked what Dave said about a possible reunion. Just put all the money on a table & split it up 4 ways with a sword, like pirates. New bands should really have some type of pre-nup. We would avoid shit like this and abominations like what we are seeing with that guy who calls himself Guns & Roses.

I can't think of 1 successful band that hasn't had some legal drama over name, publishing rights, song writing credits, royalties, etc...
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The 4 way split certainly seems equitable, in terms of avoiding drama. Of course that falls apart when you only have 2 of the 4 members actually writing songs, and only one of the remaining two is a blood relative of one of the writers.

It's no secret that Dave wrote the lyrics, Eddie wrote the music, and neither Alex or Mikey wrote shit. Only when Eddie started resenting supporting the guy who was not his brother did this become a problem.

Which is another advantage of Wolfie being the new bass player, I guess.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    It's no secret that Dave wrote the lyrics, Eddie wrote the music, and neither Alex or Mikey wrote shit. Only when Eddie started resenting supporting the guy who was not his brother did this become a problem.

Of course it will be interesting to see if Wolfgang shows up on VH1 Classic's That Metal Show in a couple years claiming "I don't know why I was kicked out of Van Halen".

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Of course it will be interesting to see if Wolfgang shows up on VH1 Classic's That Metal Show in a couple years claiming "I don't know why I was kicked out of Van Halen".
                      I look forward to the day that Wolfgang has his father prosecuted for child labor law violations.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Bob_R
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                        I look forward to the day that Wolfgang has his father prosecuted for child labor law violations.
                        He better be wearing a cup.
                        Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                          You mean, "I look forward to taking his case", right?
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

I love all you guys, it's been a great decade bitchin pissing and moaning for this to happen.

However, I'm expecting something really really special. I want something legendary to occur after a quarter-century.

To me this has nothing to do with "reunion" for the sake of branding another CD release - I'm specifically expecting a good batch of cohesive tunes that totally dovetail into WACF the way Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984 did - albeit without the keyboards of 1984.

I can't imagine them pulling off VH7 without Mike, and if they do and it sucks balls I don't see any purpose in participating here on the board much further.

After seeing Mike on That Metal Show with Trunk verbalizing my exact thoughts about Mike being "the other vocalist" in the band I just don't feel very encouraged about new VH material. if he ain't on it then its most likely gonna suck.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                              I can't imagine them pulling off VH7 without Mike, and if they do and it sucks balls I don't see any purpose in participating here on the board much further.
                              Well, at least there's one good thing to look forward to if the album blows....
                              Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                                The 4 way split certainly seems equitable, in terms of avoiding drama. Of course that falls apart when you only have 2 of the 4 members actually writing songs, and only one of the remaining two is a blood relative of one of the writers.

It must pain Ed and Dave to split their royalties with 2 guys who don't write a single word or note on the material.

Ed's only saving grace (for his own sake) is the fact that he's sharing it with blood....
                                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

Working...