EXCLUSIVE: Roth Army Collaboration with Diamond Dave Enterprises !!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

FWIW, they also played Blood and Fire in Pittsburgh and DC...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      Only time they played it on the tour was at the Forum rehearsal....
      I don't think that's true...

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Boy, this is hard to watch...

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
          FWIW, they also played Blood and Fire in Pittsburgh and DC...
          I should have read the thread first, eh ??

Comment

• chuckjitsu
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Boy, this is hard to watch...

That Forum version was terrible and honestly, none of the few tour versions were all that great, which was too bad, since it's such a good tune. In fairness to Dave (if you want to call it that!), he was off that whole Pittsburgh show, which is just my luck- the boot quality itself is great, but Dave wasn't!

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I blame the headset mic!
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DFVH5150
                Groupie
                • Apr 2004

I still don't think that any of the "Blood and Fire" performances sounded bad at all in comparison with the rest of the songs. I don't understand what everyone is talking about--both here and the VH Forums.
                Dave
                VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

To be honest, I distinctly remember at the Forum show that it sounded a little shaky, but I was having too much fun....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Never was
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2012

Dave gets everything just aligned right he can sing Blood and Fire and did great on the record but live nothing is ever just right. Totally different one take in the middle of two hours. It should have been re-arranged live so he could do it in a lower range. He simply can't do it live as written and tries to compensate by going high and it does not work. Great song great vocal in the studio but live was a wee bit optimistic but kudos for trying it.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The problem with most of the new material being performed live is the simple fact that the music and vocals were composed and recorded separately... You can hear it in every new song they've performed. Ed, Wolf, & Al are tighter than a duck's ass in frigid water.

Why? Because they practiced and composed together for months before any of this went to the studio. Most of Dave's contributions were phoned in separately by himself in the studio... then the music was tweaked to fill a few rough spots.

A few cursory rehearsals prior to the tour got em tuned up for the classics and sorta primed for the new stuff. But is clearly was evident the weak link for the new material live was all Dave. Look at the sound checks and the teases that came there... all that was missing was the singer.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Heater
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Nov 2010

Agreed, they used to cut the songs live in the studio as a group. Dave now needs multiple takes to do the vocals and any given song on ADKOT is probably different takes cut and pasted together to get a good track. His singing was the weak link this time around, and there are some YouTubes where he was terrible. Just terrible.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I didn't mean to imply that Dave's singing ability alone was suspect... beyond his pushing high registered vocals his physical body can't produce. His creative compositions are all still stellar.

The root of my criticism stems from a question I posed in the Roth Show thread... why has Dave become such a minimalist when it comes to collaboration?

Is it a mode of operation that he just finds comfortable due to too many years as a soloist, big star, band leader with hired help? Or... Is he too much of a hyperactive personality to be around for extended periods where collaborative creativity suffers among his contemporaries?
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                            ... Is he too much of a hyperactive personality to be around for extended periods where collaborative creativity suffers among his contemporaries?
                            I honestly think that the less time dave is around The sisters the less time there is to ruffle feathers, Being around someone as in your face as dave could be draining for some people and create conflict , and maybe dave knows that.

To totally contradict that and to go back to one of your previous posts , I watched Charlotte 2007 on xmas day trying out some new kit the kids had got .
                            I was shocked or had forgotten how great dave was and how comfortable he was with his voice and range .And at the press conference for the 2007 shows didnt dave mention that they had all put in more practice that year than he had done for 20 summers so i assume that was as a unit and his voice hadnt suffered as a result and they didnt all fall out .
                            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Never was
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2012

This tour was under rehearsed and rushed. They were in great spirits, were more of a band than 2007 and played well but they got stronger as they went on because they simply were not ready on day 1. It was still more enjoyable to see them having fun together for a change.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Might want to continue this in the tour thread I started...
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...