Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Well, two main keys, in my half-assed, humble opinion....

#1 - They cannot duplicate, for example, MWM in terms of straining DLR's vocal range. MWM was horrible in utilizing BOTH DLR's very low and very high range. The low didn't sound that bad, but the high notes were very strained for DLR at his age... Shit, it was strained for the 1984 DLR....

#2 - Frankly, EVH needs to get his edge back.... You only saw bits and pieces of the "old" EVH during the Bette Midler era.... It's going to be interesting to hear if they REALLY go back and get some old riffs from the "vault" or not....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Roth & Roll
      It's all Wallyword to me.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        Well, two main keys, in my half-assed, humble opinion....

#1 - They cannot duplicate, for example, MWM in terms of straining DLR's vocal range. MWM was horrible in utilizing BOTH DLR's very low and very high range. The low didn't sound that bad, but the high notes were very strained for DLR at his age... Shit, it was strained for the 1984 DLR.....
        #2 - Frankly, EVH needs to get his edge back.... You only saw bits and pieces of the "old" EVH during the Bette Midler era.... It's going to be interesting to hear if they REALLY go back and get some old riffs from the "vault" or not....
        My only problem with going to the vault is it sounds like they really lost the writing magic they had together. And that could make for a short comeback. But there are alot of great demo's to redue that should have been recorded and released in the 80's.
        Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-01-2012, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• Northern Girl
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          Maybe Sam can come back for those albums !!
          And he'll be in his 70's!

Hey, are you hoping Minneapolis is on the first leg of the tour? I'm not sure if I am!
          Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• -=VH=-
            Full On Cocktard
            • Jan 2012

If they took rock 'n roll as basis for the new album then we're in for a good treat. If the songs suck we'll get some kick ass shows out of it and as I've never seen VH with Dave anyway I WILL cry at a certain point I'm sure...

But I feel there's something coming, I LOVE the train graphic...step off the rails or get hit and join the ride...that's the feeling I'm having!
            "I am a victim of the science age..."

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

I will buy the album no matter what. If it sucks, I will still attend the concert just to see the guys & hear the classics. I'll just go hoping they only play 2 or 3 from the new album. And space em out appropriately for me to run up & get more beers.

I have a really hard time imagining that though. There isn't one single Van Halen song with Dave that I don't like. Even the 2 from 1996 I really love.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'm expecting this album to be the equivalent of the last Rolling Stones album, "A Bigger Bang". That record wasn't exactly Exile on Main Street or Some Girls, but it was a goddamn solid album, and easily the best thing the Stones had done in 25 years.

So I'm not expecting Van Halen 7 (or what ever the fuck the title is) to be another Van Halen I or Fair Warning, but I am expecting it to be better than VDIII, or anything Van Hagar turned out. Shit, if it sounds like Diver Down with less cover songs, it would still be the best album released by ANYONE since 2005 (when A Bigger Bang came out)
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

As some have said earlier - worst case this is the 7th best VH album... I'mnot worried at all about it 'sucking' - This is Dave & ed... it's going to be good. No way Dave doesn't give 573% on this one... I believe Ed has riffs in the tank. Put them together and chemistry takes over.. I can't fucking wait for this album!!! I'm taking the day off of work and drinking beer and blasting VH all goddamn day long.. 5 more weeks..
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I don't consider it to be even the slightest possibility that it can suck. It will be different from there contemporaries (it can't possibly sound like like Alter-Doughtery), classic (culled from old demos works for me dag nabit!) and new (Dave's current philosphy lyrics, the Stealth guitar and God knows what else Ed has up his sleeve and Wolf who will no doubt bring it) all wrapped in one.

Different. Classic. New. Aside from VH version 4.0, you won't find a trifecta like that anywhere else this year in the music world.

Comment

• slimdon
                      Roadie
                      • Feb 2004

Bah! Enough of this 'what if' bull jive! It'll be great to hear Dave's voice over top of Ed's guitar and Al's drums. Appreciate what they've given us, and be thankful we're getting some more for the collection. I (for one) certainly am. Hail thee mighty VAN HALEN!

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

We'll see. I ain't killing my natural high now...
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• VAiN
                          Use my hand, I won't look
                          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                          you won't find a trifecta like that anywhere else this year in the music world.
                          Seriously - this is so right on. You have the mighty VH machine at the core.. everything will be alright. I'm so pumped from what I saw in Dave's chapter 1 scrap book.. he's in the shape of his life and kicking ass. Everything is going to be awesome!
                          Originally posted by wiseguy
                          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• vh rides again
                            Commando
                            • Dec 2006

I can't imagine the whole thing sucking.

There have been songs on all the albums that we're not real appealing to me at first, like dancing in the streets , I'll wait and jump. I can't stand it when I see these guys on tv or the radio and they choose jump. I'm sure they are proud of it and should be but fuck give it a rest.

Diver down is my favorite album because it has 3 of my favorite songs on it, to my ears it is perfect, it's been in my trucks cd player for months.

After listening to all the albums over the years they have all been a favorite at one time or another, I can listen to them all over and over .

The only thing I think is going to be different is Dave's ability to scream but you didn't get much of that in the last album either.

He sounded good to me in the last tour, better in fact singing wise as I had ever seen him. I was suprised.
                            Just give me some catchy riffs on a screaming guitar with Dave singing a song that makes some sort of sense and I'll be happy.

I can't see them fucking this up .

Comment

• lesfunk
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The big thing for for me will be the Guitar sound. Can EVH get it back. Ever since 5150 his sound has been a big, cold, washy puss fest.
                              Like he went out and bought every brand of chorus pedal , strung them all together and turned them on at the same time.
                              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

I understand that there will be some songs I will like better than others.

But wif Uncle Dave up front, and as a participant in the songwriting department, it automatically will be way better than anything the Fat Cheezeburger Klown could come up with.

Hell, Dave could recite the alphabet and it would be better than anything Spamulus has EVER written.

So I am very enthusiastic....I will fucking be at the GODDAM RECORD STORE (yes there are still a few left in Gnashville) on FEBRUARY 7 and I WILL pay my fucking coin of the realm, because I am always ready to support the Mighty Van Halen.

The Mighty Van Halen is, of course, Van Halen with Uncle Dave. There is no other.

Comment

Working...