X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanshipman
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Eddie's Tone

I'm just curious what others are thinking about Eddie's tone on the new record. I think it sounds the best it has in many years. One thing I really love the most is the absence of a lot of effects, it seems to be a fairly straight ahead sound. (Outside of the wah pedal which I think has been used to great effect no pun intended...lol) And the producer squashed any use of that dang sustainer he had been abusing for the past ten years. They did a great job in capturing not just Eddies sound, but the entire band.

On an entirely different note I would like to give major thanks to the Roth Army website for really doing an outstanding job with all thats been going on as of late, and since Ive been a member. A fairly silent member, but loving every minute of the madness and fun that goes on here. Thanks.
    Last edited by vanshipman; 02-02-2012, 12:30 AM.
  • fourthcoming

I couldn't agree with you more about Ed's tone. It doesn't sound like the classic brown sound so much but it definitely is darker and has more of a bite than anything since 1984. Sounds kick ass to me bro.

Comment

• Hummarstra
      Commando
      • Feb 2004

I don't like it. Just doesn't have the magic of the brown sound imho. And he's over using the wha, too.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

LMAO!

His sound is killer, up-to-date, and still retains some of the "brown sound."

I love it !!!

Comment

• Calderone
          Commando
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          LMAO!

I love it !!!

Exactly !!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

LMAO!

I love it !!!

Roth Army Icon
            First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

It's that modern MESA/RETCO tone + the EVH "Brown-sound Mojo".......

Just look at how many guitarist in DEATH METAL use his amps...either the new EVH stuff or the older PEAVEY stuff.....

EDDIE's influence is more prevalent than ever before...his thumbprint is all over modern music right now!!!

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I agree, his sound is the best it's been in yeeeeears.. it's saturated and fat, but defined and crisp. I applaud it!
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• redfire
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Feb 2004

Part of the deal is the fact that the 5150 III is vastly superior to the 5150 II. The 5150 II was a horrible mis-step for Ed. But as most have said, his lack of effects is most notable, with the exception of the wah pedal. The crazy distortion channel on the 5150 III is a monster. Of course, Ed would say : volume is tone, tone comes from your fingers, etc... not everyone is a professional musician and can drop several grand to buy the new wolfgang, 5150 III, and the appropriate cabinets.
                  Eat Us and Smile!

Comment

• Pink Spider
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

There's some Van Hagar tone on some of the music, but that's not a bad thing. The bad thing about Van Hagar was Hagar. Ed and Al's music has never been dull, even if the lyrics were.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Pink Spider
                      There's some Van Hagar tone on some of the music, but that's not a bad thing. The bad thing about Van Hagar was Hagar. Ed and Al's music has never been dull, even if the lyrics were.
                      sorry...but "Dreams", "Why can't this be Roth" and everything else with "love" in the title sucked musically...
                      Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Pink Spider
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                        sorry...but "Dreams", "Why can't this be Roth" and everything else with "love" in the title sucked musically...
                        Well....I can't really disagree.

But, I'm going to risk the impending swarm and potential ban. Dreams probably would have sounded good with Dave.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

But, I'm going to risk the impending swarm and potential ban. Dreams probably would have sounded good with Dave.
                          there was a reason that 5150 was done without Dave...he didn't want to go the pussified road...
                          Roth Army Icon

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

All of that bullshit would have sounded way better with Dave...

Just like Blood and Fire...

Underneath is that Ripley Van Hagar sounding guitar (for lack of better words) song that you hardly even notice when you're listening to DAVID LEE FUCKING ROTH !!

Comment

• So this is love
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

All of that bullshit would have sounded way better with Dave...

Just like Blood and Fire...

Underneath is that Ripley Van Hagar sounding guitar (for lack of better words) song that you hardly even notice when you're listening to DAVID LEE FUCKING ROTH !!
                              Even VHIII with DLR would have kicked asses.......
                              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Working...