• Jan 2004

You have to

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

This.

Originally posted by Carmine
      I've been resisting posting in this thread, mostly because, I've had no words to describe what I'm hearing or the feelings that are running through me as I continue to play it...in the house...in the car...in the office...

overjoyed, overwhelmed, completely blown away...

quite possibly...their finest work yet...

and yes...on first run through...the eyes filled up with big tears like a 16 year old girl that was just ditched at the prom...

No other band on the planet should release an album this year...

The #1 spot will be filled...permanently...

...carry on, friends
      Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• hambon4lif
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
        I think we really just need to learn to ignore Spammy which will drive him crazy more than bashing him ever will.
        That's my mindset. The fucking guy is just completely beneath my contempt.
        Anything that comes out of his mouth at this point are desperate words of a fuckin' loser, and talking about him just gives him what he wants.

I figure that the soldiers here have enough experience in dealing with attention whores and trolls to be able to understand that.
        What do I think about him?......I don't.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I just randomly blasted 'Bullethead' during a study hall full of my 6th graders. The expressions went from shock, to smiles, to kids air-guitaring and head-boping.
          Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
            I just randomly blasted 'Bullethead' during a study hall full of my 6th graders. The expressions went from shock, to smiles, to kids air-guitaring and head-boping.
            Man that makes me happy.....maybe there is some hope for the youth of America after all. I'm 24 hours into having purchased the deluxe cd and listening to it non-stop and I'm still blown away. Speechless........My neighbors in the apartment downstairs DEFINITELY have to hate me by now. I was up at 6:30 this morning cranking this shit.....and will continue to blast this comeback of all comeback albums all day long....fuck em'....Somedays your the dog, someday's your the hydrant!!!

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by fourthcoming
              Man that makes me happy.....maybe there is some hope for the youth of America after all. I'm 24 hours into having purchased the deluxe cd and listening to it non-stop and I'm still blown away. Speechless........My neighbors in the apartment downstairs DEFINITELY have to hate me by now. I was up at 6:30 this morning cranking this shit.....and will continue to blast this comeback of all comeback albums all day long....fuck em'....Somedays your the dog, someday's your the hydrant!!!
              I guess I`m the hydrant for a little while as my preorder will probly arrive by mail next Thursday or Friday...
              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                I guess I`m the hydrant for a little while as my preorder will probly arrive by mail next Thursday or Friday...
                I will buy this on the 7th. I will pay cash money for it...that's why I don't feel too guilty for dling the torrent yesterday. I suppose that makes me the piss?

Comment

• fourthcoming

Hell no....we're all CVH fans, we're all the dogs.....it's worth the wait. I didn't steal it...just lucky enough to have a record store by me that got the cd 5 days early. I've never stolen music in my life....I like having the cd/album in my hand.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by Panamark
                    Even Hagar fans would have to know this is Van Halen at its peak again.
                    If all Sammy can do is write books against them, slam them in every interview,
                    say how crap the new music is, his slide into obscurity has already started.

Chickenfoot are about to disband, you heard it here first 3/3/12
                    (After some comittments they have to fulfill)
                    Dave's dog barking at 3:18 of Honeybabysweetiedoll blows away anything Spammy has ever done.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                      The best music education they'll get in any school these days....
                      Originally posted by perilouspete
                      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Not that I moved it in the first place, but moving this back to Main for a few more days so that Elvis and Natra can stop their fucking whining....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                          Not that I moved it in the first place, but moving this back to Main for a few more days so that Elvis and Natra can stop their fucking whining....
                          oh noooooooooooooo...dump it and talk about some flight attendence who smelled al's fart instead!
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• bluemustard
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2006

Carmine:

I've been resisting posting in this thread, mostly because, I've had no words to describe what I'm hearing or the feelings that are running through me as I continue to play it...in the house...in the car...in the office...

overjoyed, overwhelmed, completely blown away...

quite possibly...their finest work yet...

and yes...on first run through...the eyes filled up with big tears like a 16 year old girl that was just ditched at the prom...

No other band on the planet should release an album this year...

The #1 spot will be filled...permanently...

...carry on, friends

Well said Carmine!..I'm blown away by the whole band..soul,funk in there..weird amazing vibe I haven't heard in a long...long time.
                            Gettin flashbacks and shit..hahahauhhu sooo oldskool too this album.

Comment

• bluemustard
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2006

Eddie blows me away..big river n shit..oh boy what a great piece of art..the whole damn album..Thats all folks..dayum..Enjoy!!! Thx Van halen!!!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

VAN HALEN, ‘A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH’ – ALBUM REVIEW
                                by: Matthew Wilkening Yesterday

Interscope

After more than two decades apart, the Van Halen brothers and original lead singer David Lee Roth have turned in a thrilling and terrific new album, ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ which proves that their chemistry together remains a special and magical thing.

The six classic late ’70s and early ’80s records from the first Roth-fronted lineup of the group set an imposing bar for any Van Halen reunion album. After all the years of traveling separate paths through creative growth and lineup changes, and without original bassist Michael Anthony, it’s very impressive how well Eddie, Alex and David have re-connected with each other.

Unlike the two new Roth-fronted songs on the 1996 ‘Best of’ compilation, which seemed like ill-fitting Sammy Hagar-era compositions (and still had their moments — “Do you believe? / Awww, don’t you trust me?”), you can drop the needle almost anywhere on ‘Truth’ and know instantly who you’re dealing with here.

Of course, that’s partially because the band very wisely stacked the deck a bit by re-working (or sometimes seemingly just re-recording) unreleased songs from as far back as their mid-70s label deal-securing demos into new compositions. If you think this is cheating, and you can keep that silly “purist” scowl on your face while the rest of us are marking out to songs like the electrifying, chill-inducing ‘She’s the Woman,’ well…we feel bad for you.

‘Woman’ is one of three unassailable throwback riff-rockers on ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ along with the similarly re-purposed ‘Big River’ (which somehow has a touching, melancholy depth) and ‘Outta Space.’ Nearly the whole record is surprisingly aggressive and up-tempo, even newer compositions such as the dizzying ‘As Is’ and the vaguely Iron Maiden-ish ‘China Town.’

In fact, it turns out the somewhat picked-on first single ‘Tattoo’ is about the safest track on the album, and also the only one featuring any kind of discernible keyboards. The only other obvious single candidate would be the sunny, unabashedly sentimental “we made it” anthem ‘Blood and Fire,’ which finds Roth treading the dreaded line of mawkishness but ultimately landing on the correct side.

Van Halen tackles more mature, sophisticated material with ease on one of the album’s early highlights, ‘You and Your Blues.’ The track starts with a staccato, processed riff similar to (gasp!) ‘III’s ‘One I Want‘ before heading off into more expansive territory, with some absolutely fantastic group vocal interplay.

Don’t get us wrong, in some cases Anthony’s trademark soaring background singing is missed, but the current lineup (we don’t have album credits, we’re guessing partially Eddie’s son and new bassist Wolfgang) does a great job filling in those gaps sometimes, too. The relaxed tempo of ‘Blues’ is also the perfect showcase for Roth’s weathered voice, which, admittedly, sounds a bit rough and reaching on some of the faster tracks, although not to any enjoyment-dampening level.

OK, we need to wrap this up. Which is too bad, because there’s plenty more to discuss with this record, and it seems safe to say more layers and vocals are going to reveal themselves after a few dozen more listens – are they quoting the Beatles‘ ‘Day Tripper’ with that bass line at the end of the album, for example?

But the basic takeaway here is, Van Halen has reunited and made a really damn good comeback album, and there’s going to be very little in the way of automatic “new song bathroom breaks” on their upcoming tour.
                                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...