X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the other "small little turd" which is the over use of Dave's low talking voice...

There, that's better, eh VV ??

You should go back over to the Hagar thread you love sooooo much !!! Beats Working is a great jam if you listen to it. I will agree Dave sounds a little rough in the begining of it. But the music is great. It's not a clunker that you called it somewhere else. And no it's not their best album, not even close. It would need a Mean Streets, Hot For Teacher Or Cradle Will Rock for that. But SOME of the songs are really close to as good as the old stuff !! And close is pretty good for guy's in their 50's. It's about what I expected. I thought if it picked up were A Little Aint Enough left off for Dave I would love it. And Ed is killing on it. I like the DLR Band but bad production on it.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-06-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• ToraToraTora
      Head Fluffer
      • Aug 2010

Got my CD on Friday, delivered 3 days early, thank you postman. Got nothing to add in regards to meaningful discussions of the album, just want to say thanks for the wonderful 3 days of non stop ADKOT noise and mayhem. VH rocks! Thank You and goodnight! HIC!

Comment

• neuralfraud
        Head Fluffer
        • Aug 2010

Love 'em all I sez; let cupid sort 'em out!

WHOOO!

I think As Is is my favorite tune on this album.. it's full of kick-ass mojo, and i had to learn that damn riff that sounds like 2 Burritos And A Root Beer Float ;0 but it's slightly different and in B (well, A# technically speaking..

The solo reminds me of One (you know.. by Metallica...?) only Kirk Hammet used a pick and Eddie uses his finger like a REAL MAN.

Brings me back to the times when my father taught me how to tap like Eddie. "Use your finger son. That's how eddie does it." .."but it fucking hurts!"

On another note, man, got in the car ready to pop in the NEW CD that came today (Woot!) and i hear cowhead (local tampa afternoon show host on 102.5 the bone) giving a lot of props to VH. The whole crew pretty much praising this album man, that was fuckin cool.

"This makes me want to go spend a thousand dollars on van halen tickets!"

LOL

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

One more day...fuckin A,,, this sucks

Comment

• neuralfraud
            Head Fluffer
            • Aug 2010

You did not pre-order like the rest of civilized america?

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Nah..figured it would arrive late..Ill be at Best Buy at 10:05 AM

Comment

• oz5150
                Roth Army Recruit
                • Feb 2012

Hey folks - I've refrained from posting/discussing VH for quite some time now as it just got too depressing watching my favorite band lose the plot. I was an old dlrarmy member but my username seems to have vanished so re-registered. I haven't been on since the original reunion days so I'm sure nobody's missed me LOL.

I'm in Australia so I've had the album for a few days now. I went in with some trepidation worried if the guys could pull it off and BOY! - hugely satisfied and , honestly, surprised at how good it is and how much I'm enjoying it. It hasn't escaped my CD player the whole time.

It really is like the sort of excitement I used to feel when a new VH record came out and you knew that each of the first few dozen times you listened to it you'd pick up something new - a little laugh in the background , a "whooo!" you'd missed etc........ only diehards know what we're talking about LOL. This album has all that sort of stuff in it - it's like being back in the VH prime.

In Bullethead where Dave sings "do you really really drive that way - just ta PISS ME OFF" and then you get a "whooo!" in the background ......that's what I'm talking about. Seriously sounds like Fair Warning type stuff. And then you have (presumably) dave's dog barking in the background of Honeybabysweetiedoll .

I can't say enough good things about this. Like many the album starts at She's The Woman for me. Tattoo is relegated LOL.

Unlike many posters here I am hugely digging Outta Space (Dave's new take on Let's get Rockin') - seriously rocks. And again - just like the old days- the tracks that weren't as immediate are growing on me quick.

DLR's fingerprints are all over this - the lyrics , artwork and the quality. And boy has he fired Ed up.

The last VH album that was the real package was 1984 but I enjoyed Ed's playing up until OU812. After that he lost his sound, imagination .........and as someone pointed out in a thread on Ed's tone he recycled the same few licks in every solo on the last few Spammy discs. it's like blasphemy but to my ears my idol was gone for all money. I can't tell you how fired up I am to hear Ed doing some new and fresh stuff. As per usual his rhythm playing is awesome but the solos have some fire again and not the same old same old. he even has remnants of the van Halen 1 crunch/MXRphase type sound on songs like Outta Space. It goes without saying that Alex kicks arse and Wolf does great too.

I'm rambling and racing to type this at work but you get the picture. You guys who haven't heard it are going to be so fired up in a few days time.

Cheers from Oz

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                  One more day...fuckin A,,, this sucks

Same man. I'm a night owl & Walmart here is 24 hours. Think I'll make a midnight trip just to see if I can get it at 12
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by neuralfraud
                    Love 'em all I sez; let cupid sort 'em out!

WHOOO!

I think As Is is my favorite tune on this album..
                    ME TOO!!!!

That clean break I have rewound 10000 times over. Fucking A!
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by sadaist
                      Same man. I'm a night owl & Walmart here is 24 hours. Think I'll make a midnight trip just to see if I can get it at 12
                      They should have it - I got a tracking order today from Wally world saying mine was on the way.

Oh dear.

Comment

• fifth element
                        Commando
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by sadaist
                        +now there's a thought!
                        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• rocknrolldork
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Jun 2004

Got it today. Cannot believe how good this album sounds. Stay Frosty and about 1/2 of Blood and Fire are the weakest links but the rest of the album just rips!!!!!!

Thanks Dave, Wolf, Ed and Al! Great album!

Comment

• Fairwrning
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

No way Stay Frosty is a weak link...I have you tubed that 20 times...All I know is the night crew at BB better have those shelves stocked in the AM,,or somebody is waking their ass to the back to get my copy!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Stay Frosty and Blood and Fire are two of the better songs...

Comment

• Atomic_Rob
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2004

Got mine in the post yesterday, it fucking kills! The pink slip case mine came in is sweet.

The boys are back!
                                Diamond Dave Is Van Halen. 'Nuff Said

Comment

Working...