Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zing!
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

I'm no guitar player, but as far as technique is concerned, his style sounds more like the first Van Halen album to my ears. The solo to 'She's The Woman' is particularly reminiscent to the solo in 'Runnin' With The Devil.' The wah may mask certain elements, but his picking hasn't sounded this precise in years.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Roy Munson
      Veteran
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
      See, there's a few things we can agree on...

Do you post at The Gear Page? Your username looks familiar.

Anyhow...

I'm going to go out on a limb here...as a guitar player I think this album MIGHT be his best playing ever. He's doing some crazy fucking shit here.
      Originally posted by ELVIS
      I guess you're right...

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
        Yes. So what the fuck kind of pedal is it?
        Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah...
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DaveTheScott
          Head Fluffer
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah...
          It's his Dunlop EVH wah, the black and yellow striped deal. Supposedly right out of the box and just like the one you can buy on VHstore or any of the gear shops. I don't know if I believe that, cause I've played through that pedal on an old version 1 of the peavy 5150 and an original peavy wolfgang tobacco sunburst and I can't get the range and the troughs out of it - but I'm not fucking eddie van halen so the problem is me, not the fucking pedal. Anyways...

Eddie is on fire. Tone is fucking great. sounds nothing like MWM or CGTSNM, and definitely doesn't sound like OU812 or the train wreck that was Van Halen III with Cherone (which I never fucking bought, BTW). Too much wah? Fuck that. Sounds like Vai or Satriani? Fuck that too. It sounds like Eddie fucking Van Halen.

You turn this shit on and blast it and anyone who has been around the last 30 years instantly knows it's eddie fucking van halen. The kids listening to coldplay and all this other whiney-ass my daddy didn't hug me enough bullshit that (for whatever reason) is grouped in the rock category might not know who the fuck it is, but they know there's no one else out there playing like that right now and they know they want to download a copy and play it for their friends.

Once again Van Halen has turned the world on their fucking heads and a whole new generation of humans are realizing what rock and roll really is.

Comment

• SNIPER
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

The solos on this thing are fucking shredding. A lot of thought went into every little detail this time around. There is a tasty edge to them all that just proves he still has it better than ever and no two sound alike. Even on Tattoo there is a fire going on. Ed really did his homework and it shows. I think It captures the magic of all the 6 pack style solos. In the new live clips he is playing perfect, you can see a clarity in Eddies face that I have not seen in many years. My boy is back and that makes me very fucking happy.

Comment

• kingedward
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jan 2012

With few exceptions, These solo's seem like a song, Within a song. The work he does on You And Your Blues, For example, Has like 3 or 4 sections. That long dive in the middle, Just takes you away, Them BAM, Back up to the speed of the song. I wanted to ask the ARMY axe players if you thought ED was overdubbing on the album. For the solo's anyway, They sound improvised, To me. I can't tell if anything is layered. The tone just sounds very "Rich". I know he has new gear, Some of the solo's have a "Haunting" vibe, Hope I'm on the right track here. Also, The "Noodling" is killer on the LP. EVH, Never gets much credit for the hard as hell rhythm stuff on the six pack, Or here. The guy's always making things interesting.

Comment

• SNIPER
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

I think they might have been somewhat improvised to a point. But for the most I definitely think he had an idea where to take them along with a planed approach to start them and with a little color thrown in.
                Last edited by SNIPER; 02-14-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I just love the solos on Honeybabysweetiedool... structured, but loose.. And he's using the sustainer and it's not pissing me off! There's a whammy pedal in there too, which I find really interesting. I'd love to hear more of Ed doing 'experimental' things like that.
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• SNIPER
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                    I just love the solos on Honeybabysweetiedool... structured, but loose.. And he's using the sustainer and it's not pissing me off! There's a whammy pedal in there too, which I find really interesting. I'd love to hear more of Ed doing 'experimental' things like that.
                    Yes! That is a very different kind of Eddie solo. One of my favs!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I do a lot of fast right hand picking and how you do it is you let your hand go into a spasm and then you control it by relaxing. Kind of hard to explain but once you get it down you can really haul ass. I notice on the new album Ed's right hand technique is spot on. One thing I always was interested in about Ed was getting that right hand technique down. I actually learned how to do it by watching him.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

yep; it's really impressive playing.

i've been saying for years the dude is a criminally under-rated rhythm player, but we all know how good he is.

Comment

• VAiN
                          Use my hand, I won't look
                          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          I do a lot of fast right hand picking and how you do it is you let your hand go into a spasm and then you control it by relaxing. Kind of hard to explain but once you get it down you can really haul ass.
                          To see the opposite, watch that wanker kirk hammet play a solo...
                          Originally posted by wiseguy
                          That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• darkknight
                            Groupie
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                            Dumb Fuck.
                            Perhaps you and Jhale should go get a room and beat off to some Kirk Hammet wah solos. Dumbass.

Comment

• Nigel
                              Roadie
                              • Mar 2004

That's what I love about this place. There's some passion from everyone, including the guitar players among us.

This album has a truly "band feel" to it that no other VH album has had.

However Meanstreet still gets played regularly on my car stereo. 30 years later it still keeps Number 1 position.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by jhale667
                                I for one like the way he uses the wah.

How anybody could not LOVE the wah on that's the trouble with never just mind blowing to me. It's fucking kick ass!

Comment

Working...