X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Hey Dutchman, I am glad you posted it, as even though I have been here for years, I have never seen that photo before. Nice post!
    Thanks HR. Cool to know that you can get these prints from her site now, too. She makes them as posters, "gallery quality" prints, banners, etc...
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• jcrizzy
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Feb 2012

whoa... very cool!

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Margo Nahas's husband is Jay Vigon - he worked on the design for the first few DLR album & single covers - in particular, the logos. Vigon Siereeni was the agency he ran with Rick Siereeni.

You mean you dudes didn't read the Classic Rock article about this last year??

More here with large version of the story from Classic Rock:

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Nurs
          Banned
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
          OK...I'm positive this has been covered here at some point in time. It's impossible that this rabid fan base hasn't posted it.

But a few searches turned up nothing, so fuck it. I found this on feelnumb.com, and thought it was cool. I've seen many conversations about the 1984 album cover art before, but never saw the actual picture that inspired it. Read on....

Van Halen’s biggest selling album of all time MCMLXXXIV better known as “1984” was released on January 9, 1984. Besides having the hit songs “Panama“, “Jump” and “Hot For Teacher“, it also featured one of the best album covers of all-time. The now classic painting of a little blue-eyed angel/devil/cherub boy with wings and a pack of smokes.

The classic art piece was done by artist Margo Nahas and was not originally intended or commissioned by Van Halen for the “1984” album cover. The band had asked Nahas to paint four dancing chrome women for the cover but because of the “reflective intricacies” involved in the painting, Nahas declined the job. Her husband, Jay Vigon, a designer/art director took her portfolio to the band anyway and as Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth looked over her work they came across the angel painting below and fell in love.

Her inspiration for the painting came from her love of angels and devils and wanting to combine the two. She wanted to make something that looked photographically real, yet could not actually be real, so Nahas asked her friend if she could take some photos of her her two-year-old son, Carter Helm. She styled his hair, gave him some candy cigarettes and snapped away.

Here for the first time ever is a photo of the young model featured in the painting, two-year-old Carter Helm posing for the photos that would become the painting and eventually, the iconic Van Halen ”1984” album cover.

Nahas added the angel wings, a marble table and the beautiful blue sky to complete her vision. After years of flying under the radar about her “1984″ album cover painting, Nahas is now offering original prints of the portrait on her website.
          i also involved with painting some years ago. it was really a good time for me. because it was so creative and i always thinking about it. i wanna start it again.

Comment

• Nurs
            Banned
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
            OK...I'm positive this has been covered here at some point in time. It's impossible that this rabid fan base hasn't posted it.

But a few searches turned up nothing, so fuck it. I found this on feelnumb.com, and thought it was cool. I've seen many conversations about the 1984 album cover art before, but never saw the actual picture that inspired it. Read on....
            Her inspiration for the painting came from her love of angels and devils and wanting to combine the two. She wanted to make something that looked photographically real, yet could not actually be real, so Nahas asked her friend if she could take some photos of her her two-year-old son, Carter Helm. She styled his hair, gave him some candy electronic cigarettes and snapped away.
            I also involved with painting some years ago. It was really a good time for me. Because it was so creative and I always thinking about it. I wanna start it again.

Comment

• big fatty
              Head Fluffer
              • Jul 2004

Here is what he looks like now. I ran across this picture a while ago on the DLR fans Facebook page.

389137_541240362595603_2091165579_n.jpg

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by big fatty
                Here is what he looks like now. I ran across this picture a while ago on the DLR fans Facebook page.
                Trust nothing from that site...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• big fatty
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  Trust nothing from that site...
                  Yowza. They got me good then. Ha, Ha.

Cool page nonetheless.

I recall a rumour VH considered using a grown up picture of the '84 kid on the new album cover. No idea if that was true or not.

Comment

Working...