X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NIN1211
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Yount
    Those VH boys tormented Dave for many, many years playing on his insecurities (if he has any!) claiming he had no real musical cred and that it was all just a big song and dance and piss-take. A bluff. THEY were the REAL musicians.... No way! The brothers are just domestic daddies with exceptional talent. Dave, the traveler, the big dreamer, he's proven to be closer to the source of what is The Real Musician over the years.

So I don't wanna hear about any more of this eye-rolling shit from you Van Halen boys, go on back to your air-conditioned mansions and have a think about what Dave has achieved over the years on "no talent."

It was a defense mechanism...Dave left them high and dry. We were the ones who had to suffer............................................ .......

Shit, Ed looks he is in Menudo. Al looks like the guy who Mrs. Brady crashed into at the supermarket. Not to mention the "other half"

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2004

The writer said there was eye rolling. Might not have been all that.

Didnt I just read somewhere a quote from Eddie where he said he doesnt listen to guitars, he listens to singers?

I think the three twins like and appreciate what the Diamond does with what they present him.

I remember AVH talkin about ATBL saying something like, "we all loved that riff, and then Dave started with that rap....." can you imagine how many times that happeend with ADKOT?

IMHO, This is the current and future version of VH, no changes imminent.

I dont think people really respect DLR as a musician simply because he doesnt really play an instrument onstage, but Dave is a musician. He has an ear, he can arrange, he knows right from awful, hes a creator, he's a band leader, and the Van Halens respect his input. He's not just a midair split guy.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

There are just certain things that go together...the fit is so right...so perfect...

It's something along the lines of why there are comparatively few exceptional rock bands that have come down the pipe over the years when considering how many of 'em have put records out since 1955, not to mention countless semi-pro/local bar bands, etc.

Roth and Eddie just bring out the best in each other. Ed is a stellar rock guitarist. Roth is an outstanding frontman. While I don't really bother to speculate if either of them would have made it or not had they not joined forces (bit of a pointless endeavour since this really can't be known for sure), the proof is in what they did apart after Roth bailed in 1985. I dig the bulk of Roth's solo stuff, but it ain't Van Halen. Some of what Ed came up with in the post-Roth years was compelling on a purely instrumental level, but without Dave there the steak just didn't have the sizzle.

I mean, it's all subjective, but it certainly explains why Ed and Dave could refashion a bunch of old demos 3 & 1/2 decades after the fact, record them and the result is far more exciting than most of what either of them did when they weren't working together.

With Roth and Eddie Van Halen, you have a rock band that brings it all: showmanship, theatrics, musicianship, as exciting visually as it is to listen to, humor and seriousness, simple yet complex, great songs.

Ain't too many rock bands out there that have all of those characteristics.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Yount
          Commando
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Terry
          With Roth and Eddie Van Halen, you have a rock band that brings it all: showmanship, theatrics, musicianship, as exciting visually as it is to listen to, humor and seriousness, simple yet complex, great songs.
          Well said. Multi-dimensional band with songs that NEVER get boring.

Comment

• rocking ron
            Head Fluffer
            • Sep 2010

Just watched the KFC Center, Louisville 2012 show, man.....whole show Ed was smiling and watchin' Dave like he's in love with him.........

Like nothing ever happened and he was looking very very happy...........or he's a great actor or what I hope this is 'real', if so, than we can expect a lot more from these guys!!!

And that's what we all want and would be fxxxxx great............

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

There is no way this is an act !!! Ed's loving it
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                There is no way this is an act !!! Ed's loving it

Last time I saw Eddie this happy was 5150 tour. Yes, I know....spam. But you have to admit he was really loving life during that tour & playing spot on. Maybe because he was still playing mostly guitar driven rock instead of the later things he did.

I'm happy for him. Guy has been through a lot of demons. Some invited by him for sure...but still demons. I'm more happy for Dave. He respected the VH name, legacy and catalog the entire time away. He deserves the sold out arenas and massive love flowing from the audiences.

Oddly though what I'm finding fun to see are the rare moments you see Alex really groovin' on the drums like a fan playing the songs rather than the actual musician. He is so business like that it's fun to see him rock out & smile....albeit rare.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  Last time I saw Eddie this happy was 5150 tour.
                  I don't believe he was THIS happy. The happiness you saw then was alcohol induced. THIS is genuine
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

I hope he's happy because he's looking out into the crowd playing great music - plus not as much heavy lifting with Dave on vocs - the increase in attendance and popularity of the album are surely helping. His ego is well fed. Dave too. And Ed just checked his bank account. Holy shit!

Comment

• rocking ron
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Sep 2010

Don't think he's the only one who's checking his bank account!!! ( and fxxxx smiling and thinking : what crisis!!! )

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

what crisis ?
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Jetstream
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Dec 2011

Originality and a voice that fits the sound, that is what makes a group legendary. No matter which generic sounding, technical great singer one can find, they will never replace the David Roths and Mick Jaggers. And technical great singers are the last freaking thing one wants in a hard rock band, it then also means it will lack character and the music becomes cold and technical as well. Heavy Metal, sure with the likes of people like Geoff Tate and Halford but that is another genre where rock enters a strange breed of opera, though not in Hard Rock. Dave it not only the best frontman, he becomes the best singer too when matched with the tone of Edward Van Halen. Anyone who thinks otherwise is tone deaf and does not understand a damn thing about hard rock music. The only singer which I cite that comes close to fulfilling all the requirements and maybe still consider a great technical singer is Robert Plant. Steve Tyler for sure would not win on the crap American Idol show he judges on, he has a little too much of the crazy in him like Dave that will opt for the cool emotive aspect than the perfect octave and generic pop, r/b sound. There is something all great rock singers need too, the Blues embedded in their signature sound and Dave has that 10 fold!
                          Last edited by Jetstream; 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM.
                          I got lost in the...

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Well, frankly I think a bit of friction between Roth and Eddie is good for the band.

They never got along nearly as well as Ed did with Hagar or Cherone when they were in the band.

Look at the music which resulted from those various combos.

Long as there is a degree of mutual respect, that's all it takes for people to work together.

Everyone in a band acting all hunky-dory and peppy usually ends up with pretty bland results.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Yount
                              The hatchet must be buried somewhere.
                              Hopefully in Sammy's asshole.....blade side first.
                              Originally posted by perilouspete
                              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• katina
                                Commando
                                • Mar 2012

Ed and Dave.
                                The best guitarist and the best frontman, together again it´s like magic.

Comment

Working...