Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zing!
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

I've seen Dave live more than any other performer or band in the last decade - and I've only seen him do a leap off the drum riser once... in 2001. The dude is 57, not 37 - or even 47.

57. My kid's grandpa is 57. This guy is a clueless douche.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I saw him jump off the drum riser in 2002 at 47.

For many of us now in our 40s that becomes more remarkable by the day...

Comment

• katina
        Commando
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by katina
        Howard Cohen and Sam Chickenshit can go trough the toilet ( inodoro ).
        Howard Cohen and Sam Chickenshit can go through (I missed the H, sorry) the toilet, (inodoro in spanish).

Comment

• TJMKID
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

"Music reviewer" is probably the stupidest job on the planet ---- this cumstain cowboy Cohen should be scrubbing toilets instead and make himself useful to our society.

Dave would be kicking ass if he just stayed in his normal register ---- just like this:

Comment

• Combat Ready
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2007

I saw VH in the 80's a few times, just like many of you did. After seeing an amazing kick-ass show, I'd always check the SF Chronicle "datebook" for their review. And they rarely had good things to say about Dave's vocals. So--they've been full of shit forever....

In fact--I've seen more good reviews on this tour, than I can ever remember. But--who the fuck cares anyway? I can't wait 'til they hit the west coast.....

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

i was at 3 shows for the 07-08 tour and Dave did carry the show...he sounded awesome...although he may not sound as good this tour, he makes up for it with his overall performance...minus the blower rants of course

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                Yeah I saw him jump off the drum riser in 2002 at 47.

For many of us now in our 40s that becomes more remarkable by the day...
                Saw him in 2004. He did the riser splits once at the beginning of the show and once at the end.

True, anyone with half a brain shouldn't expect him to do them at his age.
                This man has sacrificed his body immensely over the past 30+ years in the name of Rock and Roll entertainment.
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

oh no...a bad review...say it ain't so...

Roth Army Icon
                  First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• bluemustard
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2006

Dave to Wolfie:

"Hey kid..want some candy"

HUAHUAHUAHAHUAHUAHUAU AWSOME!!!

Comment

• vh rides again
                      Commando
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TJMKID
                      "Music reviewer" is probably the stupidest job on the planet ---- this cumstain cowboy Cohen should be scrubbing toilets instead and make himself useful to our society.

Dave would be kicking ass if he just stayed in his normal register ---- just like this:

Yep
                      He sang that pretty well and knew it.

I like at the end how he's bringing Ed to a nice quiet ending so as to not fuck up his performance LOL

He's fucking funny as hell .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll

Comment

• Halen High
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        http://www.miami.com/reborn-van-hale...singer-article

Review: Reborn Van Halen scorches in concert despite faltering lead singer

David Lee Roth once again fails to deliver in concert

By Howard Cohen | hcohen@MiamiHerald.com4/11/2012

Van Halen’s new album is called A Different Kind of Truth, but the inescapable truth is this: Once again, Van Halen has trouble with its lead singer.

David Lee Roth fronted the band through its glory years of 1978-1984 before personality conflicts with guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen led to his ill-fated solo career. Van Halen continued in the mid-’80s with Sammy Hagar and, later, a poorly received and brief Gary Cherone era in the late 1990s.

Now, Roth is back, and the reunion of three-quarters of the original lineup, with Eddie, Alex and Eddie’s 21-year-old son Wolfgang on bass replacing Michael Anthony, led to the release earlier this year of A Different Kind of Truth. The album, the first with Roth in nearly 30 years, was a surprisingly strong effort that reworked material from the group’s earliest demos and proved that the combination of Roth and the Van Halens always made for this band’s best music. Anthony’s vocal harmonies are missed, but as a power trio, the Van Halens impress with instrumental acuity and a bracing concrete-hard wall of sound.

And so it was on the resulting tour, which hit Sunrise’s BankAtlantic Center Tuesday night. Wolfgang isn’t a showman, but his vocal harmonies with his father were clear and strong, and his muscular bass playing was solid enough to hold its own, and accent, Alex’s jackhammer kick drums and Eddie’s dizzying, surround-sound guitar leads. The Van Halens carried the concert and were incredible, especially Alex’s jazz-funk solo and Eddie’s complex tapping and shredding leads on Cathedral/Intruder.

But Roth was embarrassing. No one expects the 57-year-old to move like Jagger, but no one should have expected the once-flamboyant showman to move stiffly like a wax figure on a Lazy Susan. Clearly, for Roth, unlike his seemingly ageless colleagues, it’s not 1984 anymore.

Gone were most of the jumps, kicks and jive-talking cockiness that distinguished the front man in the 1980s. Roth entered the stage on the opening Unchained with a dopey, forced grin and a head-nodding shtick in the deceptive manner of a used car salesman showing off what he knows to be a lot full of lemons. At one point, he condescendingly and lamely paid tribute to Van Halen’s Latin fans by mimicking styles of Latin dance and culture.

The few kicks or splits Roth attempted were executed with little crispness and, unwittingly, he might have created a whole new term: kick-syncing.

Several times during the two-hour show, the IMAX-sized video screen behind the band beamed images of Roth making wide kicks at the same time he was clearly standing still. The visuals were a disappointment, too. At first, the huge black and white live shots and stock footage of the band looked great in striking high-def, but when the imagery failed to change for the remainder of the show it only called into attention how bare bones the production was. The band didn’t even employ a keyboardist to perform the synthesizer parts in Jump, relying on canned music instead.

Roth, unlike too many, at least didn’t lip-sync his vocals. No one would lip-sync to a track of such strained, flat singing. Eddie and Wolfgang’s accompanying harmonies on newer material like The Trouble With Never or oldies like (Oh) Pretty Woman had to cover for Roth’s missed notes.

Worse, he spent too much time raging at the roadies and the house, complaining about blowers. He claimed the blowers were turning the stage into a refrigerator and was wreaking havoc on the vocals. “You’ll have a much better show if they turn those [expletive] blowers off,” he yelled after I’ll Wait, repeating his tirade from a Chicago concert in February.

Later, during fan favorite Panama, he skipped off stage during the song’s most famous part, the rapped breakdown (“Let me reach down between my legs/Ease the seat back.”) Apparently, he chewed someone else out while the band, looking puzzled, was forced to extend the musical section. Roth returned, omitted the rap altogether, and soon barked another gripe at whoever was running the video screens preceding his ragged performance of the half-acoustic Ice Cream Man.

This kind of behavior, when decent seats top $150, is the height of unprofessionalism. If the Van Halens keep Roth on board for another tour, he’ll need to concentrate on his performance instead of yelling at the help.

In an odd pairing , ’70s funk act Kool & the Gang opened and gamely offered a serviceable and lean, 10-song, all-hits set highlighted by Hollywood Swinging.
                        An agenda driven review that is completely at odds with the general consensus, from someone who clearly never liked David Lee Roth. The comment in paragraph six should have alerted any editor worth his salt to question the credibility of the copy...why exactly would you expect a 57 year old in 2012 to appear as he was in 1984?

Idiot.
                        Last edited by Halen High; 04-20-2012, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

A lot of music critics are just fucking seagulls... they fly in, make a lot of noise, crap all over the place and then fly off...

Luckily there are some stellar ones like Greeneyed Murderer who do the trade justice!!
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Kinda like a flock of waa waas???

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Carloscda
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2009

When it comes to front-men others are easy to emulate, Mick Jagger, Paul Stanley, Steven Tyler, etc but bottom line there's only one Diamond David Lee Roth and there will never be another!! Voice wise the only one that came close was Ralph when he was in The Atomic Punks. If you watch Metal Mania you'll see all those who tried but failed!

High scissors kicks, drum riser split jumps no one has been able to duplicate!!

Like someone said earlier Sugar Ray isn't the same as he was yrs ago nor Tyson, Ali etc None of us are! But it's crazy how some keep holding Dave to be like he was 20-30yrs ago??!!
                              Last edited by Carloscda; 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• VAiN
                                Use my hand, I won't look
                                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

You cannot put any stock in a reviewer from fucking Miami. They don't even speak English there. Guarantee they'd give fucking gloria or some shitbag electronic group a glowing review.
                                Originally posted by wiseguy
                                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...