Do you care that Ky-Mani Marley is the opener for the second leg of the tour?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourthcoming

I understand what your saying.....but VH has never had any top notch opening acts open for them and they really don't need any to sell out arenas. The ticket prices.....that's another story and i agree with you 100%. Then again, I don't know how ticket prices are outside of N.Y. im sure their a hell of alot cheaper....everything else is cheaper outside of N.Y.....but try getting a ticket to a broadway show or a good seat for a football, baseball, basketball, hockey game.....your probably paying a pretty penny..... unless it's just us dopes in N.Y paying through the nose. There needs to be some sort of regulation across the board when it comes to the entertainment industry which includes sports but there never will be.

Comment

• scott b
      Groupie
      • Jun 2005

Kymani was a complete yawn fest in 07-08 .I would rather see Kool &The Gang again ! Everybody on the floor was shakin it in Orlando and hopefully L.A.

Comment

• JenniferM
        Roadie
        • Feb 2004

Seriously, I can't say I'm not disappointed in the opener. My son was like "Who?" He was hoping for another rock band....something to get him pumped up for the main event!!

QUOTE=ZahZoo;1648534]I know it's Van Halen with Diamond Dave... Whoo Yaaa!! But come on... you don't serve Beanie Weenies as an damn appetizer for fuckin Prime Rib and Lobster...[/QUOTE]
        "Why behave in public if you're livin' on a playground?"

Comment

• Hardrock69
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Feb 2005

Black Country Communion would be a great opener, but in fact, TOO great. VH has a history of opening acts who cannot hold a candle to what they do.

BCC is a kickass fucking band, and Glenn Hughes as a vocalist (technically) would make Uncle Dave look bad as a singer.

Comment

• ODShowtime
            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

If I could get stoned in the arena I'd be talking about opening acts. As it stands I need to be waltzing in right around 8:50 or so. Nothing better than the lights going down right when I reach my seat.
            gnaw on it

Comment

• shortykb
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Jan 2012

Just to add my thoughts and reply to a few things on here:

1 - Kool and Gang merchandise was sold at the DC venue. I thought they were pretty good considering that it was truly a music mismatch but they brought it out strong and alot of that grew up during the 70s and 80s remember when they were big. They play all of their hits and no obscure songs like a no name band would. Also I saw the merch bus at Union Station. I will try to get the picture off my phone and post it here. It had Kool and the Gang on the bus.

2 - Why Marley? DC 101 use to play a Marley song every afternoon and I hear one on the classic rock station here once in awhile. Don't understand it but whatever. Its only one song. I know when I went to the 07 VH show I was out in the concourse when they were on and a remark was made by the people selling snacks out there. I didn't like the remark but essentially their thought was why would you play reggae to this audience. However it wasn't put that nice.

3 - Cheap Trick - I saw them back in the day and the last time I saw them was when "The Flame" was popular. They rock and they probably still do but I don't like Aerosmith so I will wait for a small venue or something to see them.

And I remember back when I saw VH in 80 and 83 and they had a suck opening act. Is it maybe an ego thing? Very possible. Reminds me of two concerts I saw in 80s. Saga opening for Billy Squirer. Billy Squirer was booed by the end of the evening and 38 Special when they made their comeback opening for Molly Hatchet. People openly booed Molly Hatchet most of the time. This is when 38 Special was out supporting the Wild Eyed Southern Boy album. So would you want to put a band up that the opener may possibly put on a better show than the headliner? I am sure it even scares even the most successful artist or band and remember that in 07 yes Kermit the Frog could have opened for them and it would have sucked since the Real Deal VH was out there. But maybe there is some insecurity now and some of the new shows are playing close to shows they have already did this year so maybe they are scared? Or maybe just maybe Kool and the Gang was booked up a long time before the 2nd leg was thought about.

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

now please be gentle...

obviously i never got to see classic =VH= in my country.

do you guys think their choice of opening act back in the day was deliberately designed to provide maximum bombastic impact, or were they genuinely trying to give an up and coming band a fair shot? and you veteran Van Halenists, how many of you watched the opening act?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ashstralia
                  now please be gentle...

do you guys think their choice of opening act back in the day was deliberately designed to provide maximum bombastic impact, or were they genuinely trying to give an up and coming band a fair shot? and you veteran Van Halenists, how many of you watched the opening act?
                  I wasn't there, but my guess would be maximum bombastic impact. I highly doubt they highered the likes of Autograph, an early example of shameless coat-tail riding rip-off artists, to help catapult said band's budding career. Following Autograph was, I believe, Van Halen's way of saying, "who's your daddy?" the way they then completely tore shit up.

Excellent question, by the way.
                  Last edited by DLR Bridge; 05-04-2012, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                    now please be gentle...

I went to a lot of Day on the Green type of shows back in the day... So like in 78 I got to see Van Halen with AC/DC, Aerosmith, Foreigner, & Pat Travers Band... A few months later it was The Rolling Stones, Santana, Eddie Money, Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals... For less than $20 you sure got a lot of rock for a small roll... Throughout the 80's I didn't much care who was opening $15 a ticket or so didn't much matter. Today at $100+... I guess I expect a lot more...
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• SLAUGHTER MAN
                      Groupie
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      I have to agree with Lou... Marley Jr is really hitting the bottom of the barrel and a total mismatch from a music genre perspective.

It was somewhat novel having K&TG knowing Dave's obsession with R&B and a recognizable historic band. But still the choice didn't help or hurt attendance either way... but clearly didn't enhance or add much to the overall experience.

Given VH's legacy and stature today... there's no reasonable cause for being insecure over an opening act upstaging them. They are Van Fucking Halen... nuff said.

I'd rather they had a young rising newer rock act or hell if they wanted to add a cross-genre draw to easily fill seats there's a huge pool of younger rising country bands that are far more Rock and Southern Rock oriented than old school tears-in-yer-beers cuntry...
                      I agree brother...............

Comment

• loucap81
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2012

Well, inflation is certainly a problem, but the bigger problem is that the demographics are way different 35 years later. You were a teenager I'm guessing when you saw those shows. There aren't many teenagers jonesing for a VH show anymore. They count on most fans of these legacy bands being settled down, 35-55 year old people with disposable income, willing to pay ridiculous prices just one time. This is why I like seeing unheard-of bands in small venues for $40 or less (where I can just walk right up to the stage too), and I hate shows with more than a few thousand people in attendance. Prior to this tour I hadn't set foot in an arena for a concert since 2008. Van Halen is literally the ONLY band that I'm willing to blow a lot of money on.

I'm a huge Joe Walsh fan and I looked at the ticket prices for his upcoming tour. While there's value in the fact that they're in small venues, the prices are $75 or higher for a good seat. He did a show last year in New Jersey where a decent seat was $125. Screw that. I love Joe but I'm just sick of the gouging.

Comment

• SLAUGHTER MAN
                          Groupie
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          Black Country Communion would be a great opener, but in fact, TOO great. VH has a history of opening acts who cannot hold a candle to what they do.

BCC is a kickass fucking band, and Glenn Hughes as a vocalist (technically) would make Uncle Dave look bad as a singer.
                          Glad you like my choice...that would just perfect!!! Have BCC open the show with MAN IN THE MIDDLE...later play some MISTREATED and BURN!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck it would be epic. See Bommassa and Eddie on the same stage in the same night??? The are a terrific band.

Comment

• Nigel
                            Roadie
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by SLAUGHTER MAN
                            Glad you like my choice...that would just perfect!!! Have BCC open the show with MAN IN THE MIDDLE...later play some MISTREATED and BURN!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck it would be epic. See Bommassa and Eddie on the same stage in the same night??? The are a terrific band.
                            I love your choice too. BCC Live Over Europe ("How can you be so Cold") Glenn Hughes baby!!

Failing that, how about getting "Tree" the guy that was handcuffed to Dave during the pot bust to give out joints and tell us all Dave stories.

Comment

• SparkieD
                              Veteran
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SLAUGHTER MAN
                              Shit, seeing Dave and Hughes in the same night would be in-fucking-credible!!!
                              Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                              Originally posted by rustoffa
                              Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                                ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
                                They sucked in 07'
                                They will suck in 12'
                                Who, the ravens?
                                gnaw on it

Comment