Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThrillsNSpills
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

in retrospect nobody deserves an Edie reference.

If your eyeballs have ever spun around in opposite directions talking to someone like the speaker in that song, you know what I mean.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

78's were a little before my time... 33 1/3 & 45's came out about 10 years before me. It is interesting though that in my lifetime I've seen the transition from mono to stereo to quad to 5.1 to 7.1... tube to solid state... analog to digital... vinyl to tape to CD to DVD to Blu-Ray.

Tube to solid state was a lot like the transition from vinyl to CD... early on both seemed to go from an earthy warm tone to harsh and tinny. To this day most audiophiles and musicians still swear by analog tube amplification over solid state digital gear. The gap has closed but to the human ear... tube still produces a more desirable listening tone.
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Fairwrning
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Geez..I remember the 8 track days...

Comment

• chuckie lee
          Groupie
          • Jan 2012

Me too. Back in the day, I hated 8 tracks.. Always liked the cassettes, most had cool artwork..... I am old!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
            Along with the perplexing agony of having to shove a book of matches underneath them in the deck in order to get the fucking things to track and play properly. That and having to endure roughly 9 to 13 minutes of silence at the end of the last song on each track, as there was no fast forward option available.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• CROWBAR
              Commando
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
              Along with the perplexing agony of having to shove a book of matches underneath them in the deck in order to get the fucking things to track and play properly. That and having to endure roughly 9 to 13 minutes of silence at the end of the last song on each track, as there was no fast forward option available.
              Or when they would switch to the next track right before the guitar solo.

KA - CHUNK!

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
                Or when they would switch to the next track right before the guitar solo.

KA - CHUNK!
                No kidding, and this bastard was the most tedious of all.

Last edited by chefcraig; 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                  too funny!

Gawd, I remember those days too.....
                  I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Dec 2008

Getting back to ADKOT on vinyl......

I finally got my copy on vinyl and LOVE IT. The inner flaps are great! I guess Dave did all or most of the artwork..gotta love it!!! A throwback to the old days of the double LPs with the fold outs. !

The sound to this vinyl-phile is awesome, of course. Beats any download! Now I can FINALLY hear the bass line of Stay Frosty, among other things!!!

My disappointment, though, is with the inner sleeves.....Just plain white inner sleeves? Come on, for the amount of $$ I paid for this LP, the inner sleeves could have had some ART on them! Or even some pictures, or more of Dave's art, etc.

On the whole though....I've got my prize vinyl copy! YESSSSS!!!!
                    I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

I think Dave's vocals sound much better in the mix on the vinyl version I am listening to.

Comment

• Toddb
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Jun 2010

I have a bunch of vintage electronics gear (no tube yet) and over the years I will compare a cd to a vinyl album side by side. There is no comparison. Licorice pizza rules by a long shot. In fact many of the background percussion and vocals are not picked up on a cd. Also, you can actually hear plucking of the strings on a guitar and the contact made on the drum skins with vinyl and a high end vintage electronics setup. If you only listen to cd's well then you have no idea anything is missing from the recording.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Van’s Halen’s “A Different Kind Of Truth” LP Vinyl Pressing

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                            Learn something everyday...
                            Want another one? Robbie Blunt from Robert Plant's band played GUITAR on that record....dig that STRAT tone!

I do want to pick up ADKOT on Vinyl.....WAY superior to CD

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              There were the occasional moments of brilliance from the 8 track era though. For example, the Rolling Stones Some Girls 8 Track edition contained extended versions of "Miss You" and "Beast of Burden" that to this day are unavailable elsewhere. The extra part of Miss You is also included in the 8 minute 12" single remix that has been issued a half dozen times or so, so at least it's sort of out there, but the other remains sadly locked in a vault. Was really hoping it would be included in last year's deluxe remaster of the album, but no such luck (Keef must have lost the master tape when he was high and forgot where it was)

But for now, at least it's still on YouTube.... at least until those assholes at ABKCO bitch about it (not that they had ANYTHING to do with Some Girls, but it hasn't stopped them from claiming copyright on later Stones material before)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• mumpy73
                                Full On Cocktard
                                • Jun 2012

Yeah, love the vinyl. Found a friendly indie store who sent me a Who's the Woman vinyl 7" promo over to me in London UK - very nice that is too. Any other promos available from the album apart from the tattoo, woman, and Stay frosty CDs?
                                What a fight to get it right, For a minute of delight . . .

Comment

Working...