X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALMOSTsaved
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

An 11 Year Old's Perspective Of The Fair Warning Tour

Found this tape recently and converted. Yes this is me...

As a kid I was bored and recorded EVERYTHING on to cassette tape. This is me on the phone at age eleven discussing a Van Halen "Fair Warning" tour Biloxi, MS show from 09-05-81. The phone call was obviously the next day...and this was my first of many Van Halen shows. I'm approaching 42 years old now. Enjoy the foul language of a young boy.

I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

"That bass player, he dropped his and started jumpin' on it..." Too fucking funny! Dude, that's priceless
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
      Veteran
      • Feb 2004

Thanks! "That bass player" "The drummer". I had just discovered the band 2 months earlier and I knew who the bosses were.

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Uncle Dave was corrupting your fragile mind at an early age ---- gotta love that shit.

"And that bass player" ---- Sobolewski gets owned by a middler schooler!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          "That bass player, he dropped his and started jumpin' on it..."

Probably one of sauces better solos too.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
            Found this tape recently and converted. Yes this is me...

As a kid I was bored and recorded EVERYTHING on to cassette tape. This is me on the phone at age eleven discussing a Van Halen "Fair Warning" tour Biloxi, MS show from 09-05-81. The phone call was obviously the next day...and this was my first of many Van Halen shows. I'm approaching 42 years old now. Enjoy the foul language of a young boy.

Lol that was terrific....lost my recordings of me around that age to the sands of time.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

How did you go to the show at such a young age? You are only a little older than me and I wasn't allowed to go until the 5150 tour. Who did you go with? My older brother went to the 1984 show but no way mom was letting me tag along at age 12. Don't think my brother would have wanted the baggage anyways.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

You were probably a tattletale anyways...

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  How did you go to the show at such a young age? You are only a little older than me and I wasn't allowed to go until the 5150 tour. Who did you go with? My older brother went to the 1984 show but no way mom was letting me tag along at age 12. Don't think my brother would have wanted the baggage anyways.
                  That wasnt even my first concert. My mother took me. As a kid I saw the following shows:

KISS - 12-12-79. Mom took me. I was 9.

Van Halen - 9-5-81. Mom took me. I was 11.

Van Halen - 7-24-82. Uncle took me. I was 12.

Van Halen - 1-28-84. Uncle took me. I was 13. After that I went with friends to every show.

Comment

• Momshell
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

That wasnt even my first concert. My mother took me. As a kid I saw the following shows:

Van Halen - 1-28-84. Uncle took me. I was 13. After that I went with friends to every show.
                    You are sooo lucky to have had such a cool mom (and uncle). My mom was (and is) super square and I didn't even have any older siblings or cool uncles. My first show wasn't til I was 14 or 15 and I'm ashamed to say it was Bryan Adams. I remember being invited by a group of friends to see Ozzy and Metallica as a freshman in HS and my parents wouldn't let me go. Probably why I grew up to be a shrink with a VH tattoo!
                    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

My mother introduced me to music at a very young age. Of course she didn't introduce me to KISS or Van Halen. Her taste was more of The Beatles (whom I grew to love at an early age) and Neil Diamond (whom I didn't appreciate until my adult years). However, she loved the KISS and Van Halen shows. Her only complaint to this day is that they hadn't released "Jump" yet in 1981 as she loved that song. As for my Uncle, he got me into the heavier side of music (Sabbath, Zeppelin). When I told him I was into VH he showed me his vinyl copy of the first album.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

That was just adorable
                        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                          That was just adorable
                          Well thank you. My voice is deeper now but I still talk about Van Halen with the same enthusiasm.

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

That was really, really cool!
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• EdVanZep
                              Groupie
                              • Jun 2005

Not trying to share the glory but I gotta jump in here and brag a little if I can, our concert history was similar
                              Kiss-11/25/79, mom and dad took me , 12yrs old
                              VH-10/9/80, mom took me and 3 friends , 13yrs old
                              VH-6/12/81, first concert without parents, 13yrs old
                              I would go on to see most of the hard rock metal bands that came to town thru the 80s and of course VH on every tour(yes I went to the Spammy shows). I was just showing a kid my Fair Warning ticket stub the other day the price was $8.00

Comment

Working...