Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yount
    Commando
    • Jan 2012

^^ I do feel that way but hope the sisters know they need Dave who has something they don't have inside them. If they can realize that. Only a fool believes Wolfie can substitute the Diamond One.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      And this is why I still look at the two of them as the enemy. Well, maybe not the enemy but at least two dudes to be suspicious of. Look, they took fatty in and told the world that that version was the "real" version of VH. Then they took the fairy in and told the world that that was the best version of VH - never mind Gary's Dance Of The Flaming Assholes. I don't trust 'em and no matter how many times they hug onstage I'll never fully buy into it. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the new music or the new tour - I DO. But I have the feeling that Ed, Al and Wolfie are looking to the day when Wolf can sing all the songs, create the songlists, design the stage, come up with a new logo and generally try to rip us all off. And I will be the only guy shelling out money for the Dave solo tour - and that's just fine by me.
      Nepotism is really the only thing that brought today's VH back... second only to a huge pay check.

Bertinelli made it obviously clear... the record and tour would not have happened at all if it wasn't for Wolfgang wanting to drag dad out to play. Ed was perfectly content to sit at home watching TV and Al following in lock-step.

Back on subject if y'all can get this worked up over a 26 year old interview by MA and spew that much hate... it really says a lot about "you and your blues... Not mine."
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        Nepotism is really the only thing that brought today's VH back... second only to a huge pay check.
        And nepotism is the real reason why MA isn't still in the band...

I will believe that until the day I die.....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

LMAO !!

Sent from my iPhone, bitches!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            The sisters are more guilty, because they were in control of everything and magically turned it to shit by hiring the Cherboner and Hagfucktard...
            True, but the irratating part of this is that the bass player is just piling on...he personally doesn't have an axe to grind that we know about, where it could certainly be said that Al and Ed have their reasons right or wrong (i think AL has a pretty good case, lol) for hating on Dave off and on.

Nothing worse than a guy who jumps on the bandwagon or popular sentiment at the time just to be part of it.

Well, that and teh fact that out of the four it can be said that Mike"s contribution to the Van Halen empire pales in comparison to 2 of the other members and probably the 3rd as well.
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              And nepotism is the real reason why MA isn't still in the band...

I will believe that until the day I die.....
              The thing of it is, as an idea it would be cool to think about the CVH lineup getting back together, but the reality would be a little different.

In terms of songwriting, even Hagar admits that Mike Anthony brought nothing to the table where Van Halen was concerned, with Eddie and Roth both complimenting that claim with their own statements basically along the lines that Mike Anthony was not part of the creative aspects far as coming up with the music was concerned. Essentially, he played whatever Eddie told him to. So it's not as if having Anthony along would make much of a difference instrumentally in terms of a hypothetical new CVH reunion album.

I'll agree Anthony has a distictive voice far as background vocals went, and that was a PART of CVH's signature sound. Not nearly as important as the guitar playing or the lead vocals to my ears, but not unimportant to be dismissed.

Regarding Van Halen are about today, as much as anything else Ed is performing to spend time with his son. Nepotism? To be sure, but without Wolfgang I totally agree that Ed would be content to sit around his house, get drunk and noodle into eternity. Ed has no use for Mike Anthony anymore, and as Ed goes so goes Al. Seemingly Roth also looks at Anthony as part of the group strictly in the past tense. Wolfgang is the force behind the scenes. Wolfgang is the one reading the blogs and picking up the gauntlet in terms of making the band rehearse those long-neglected deep CVH cuts and play them live.

If Mike were invited back into the band now, and Ed/Al/Roth were content to go out and play CVH greatest hits live, does anyone really believe that Mike Anthony would be saying to the others "hey guys, I think we should rehearse 'Outta Love Again', 'Girl Gone Bad', 'The Full Bug' and 'Women In Love' and drop those into the setlist at various points of the tour"? Mike Anthony would be back in the band at a reduced performance rate with no input whatsoever and no influence. Mike's not Roth, personality-wise. He ain't gonna stick up for himself, and clearly the Van Halens don't want him around anymore, so Mike (unlike Wolfie) would have zero influence in terms of pushing the band and challenging them to do the unexpected. Which, really, isn't much of a deviation from what Mike's role has ALWAYS beeen.

As much as I would like to see and hear the old group back together, it'd be a pretty uncomfortable situation all the way around, and probably the most uncomfortable person there would be Mike Anthony. All of that would be bound to come across onstage, and I don't need to be shelling out $100 a pop for an awkward display. These are the sunset years of the band, and realistically how many more tours can one expect from these guys? Probably not enough to misuse the amount of life the band has left expending energy and focus on soap opera dramatics. The last, best shot at the original four doing something that had any meaning was roughly 15 years ago. That time has passed, and the circumstances are no longer the same.
              Last edited by Terry; 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I've got nothing against MA, but I gotta say I prefer the Wolf/Al rhythm section. Midnight Phil is right about one thing - not to knock MA, but Wolf IS a better bass player. And he's obviously allowed more input in regard to what he plays. Like I said, a CVH reunion would be cool for a few tunes at some televised enormo-dome festival or something, and for a sec the classic vocal sound would be there...but I kinda like what Wolf brings to the old tunes, too. It's not like bringing MA back would be an overall musical improvement - IMO instrumentally it'd be a wee bit of a letdown having heard ADKOT. Just my .02....YMMV.

Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

if y'all can get this worked up over a 26 year old interview by MA and spew that much hate... it really says a lot about "you and your blues... Not mine."

You to ZahZoo? You miss the point entirely. People are upset by what Michael Anthony has said recently. 2011/2012. The recent release of the 1986 interview just shows that his spew isn't anything new. It shows a pattern. A history of slamming Dave. He isn't just doing it now because he got shot out of the band in a bad fucked up way. He has never had anything good to say about Dave. People were cutting him way too much slack based on his Dave jabs were all recent stuff. This 1986 interview changes that.

Imagine US here spewing hate against Michael Anthony right now. You immediately assume it's because he's out of the band and taking shots at Dave right? Well what if you could find posts from us from 26 years ago where we were still saying fuck Michael Anthony just as we are now?

The light goes on & you see truth.

"You fuckers have hated him all along!"

And that is exactly the predicament Michael is in right now. That 1986 interview just turned on the light of truth about him for a lot of people.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I stand by my take... it's you and your blues. Fired up by a 26 year old interview... Nothin has been said recently worth mentioning by Mike.

That's your thing... stand proud. Just don't try to drag the rest of the gang down with you or get all bent because some are snickering at your childish dredging up of old crap to fuel your angst.

Objectivity is elusive among VH fans but some of us are well aware that a ton of shit was slung Dave's way by everyone that's been in the band except Wolfgang and maybe Cherone. Ed has said a few things in the Esquire interview and during sound checks eluding to Dave being Dave... go back on the interviews from 85 to present, especially 96 around the Mtv thing and BOV 1... Ed and Al had plenty of negative crap to say about Dave... Why aren't they on your radar..?
                    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

I stand by my take... it's you and your blues. Fired up by a 26 year old interview...
                      I'll co-sign that!

If every singer (and/or that singers fans) was so thin-skinned that they'd get butt-hurt over what their own band members had said about them over the years, there wouldn't be any goddamn music. That's a fact!

And we're in this thread popping a fucking blood vessel over some shit the bass-player said in a GW interview 26 years ago? Come the fuck on already!!
                      This is the Roth Army, motherfucker! We give better than we get, and we don't sit around and fucking cry, WE CRUSH SOULS, so stop having such a glass asshole and get with the program!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Honestly I'm loyal to nobody. If Chickenfoot was actually producing a decent product I would buy a ticket and buy the music but then of course that is the microwavable burger out of a vending machine compared to a filet minion from a four star restaurant so why bother? It's all about the thrill for me not who's providing it. Classic VH was the filet minion. Sam was the stale microwavable burger in a dirty bus stop vending machine. Mike was the funny thing that grew on the burger.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Wolfgang Van Halen is a better bassist than Michael anthony and The reunion with Roth as well as ADKOT would not have seen the light of day without him. For that I am eternally grateful.
                          As bad as the Cherone era was, I still can't hate on Gary. His heart was in the right place even if his finger wasn't.
                          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Ed and Al had plenty of negative crap to say about Dave... Why aren't they on your radar..?
                            They are on my radar. Every couple of nights.....touring on the release of a new album with David Lee Roth.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

As Vallerie said there would be no VH without Wolfgang. Ed and Al were ready to retire. Mike was in the band when they got signed and was a long-term member of the band and held down his bit of it all those years. Nothing wrong with Mike and he has his legacy but VH is doing fine without him and Wolfgang has busted his ass to do his part and it shows. The fans got a good album and some good shows and hopefully will get some more. It's just nice to see Dave back doing his thing and Ed playing fabulous again instead of being a drunken bum freaking out.
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif

And we're in this thread popping a fucking blood vessel over some shit the bass-player said in a GW interview 26 years ago? Come the fuck on already!!

Jesus man. "Bass-player"? He has a name. Show a little respect will ya?

Comment

Working...