• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by philouze
    What the...?!?
    Old post....that ad was from some newspaper back in the 90s....been around at least since 2000, lol.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      Not a case of bashing, but just to look at what is known about the situation:

Mike only participated in the 2004 tour because Hagar insisted. Mike had to sign away future rights to the Van Halen name and got a reduced rate for those performances.

Ed wouldn't allow Mike to play on the new tracks for the 2004 BOBW release.

Ed most likely played all the bass parts on Van Halen 3.

When Dave and Hagar were touring together, Dave wouldn't play onstage with Mike. According to Mike, Roth wouldn't even talk to him backstage until Mike confronted him.

Dave rejoined the band, despite Mike no longer being in it (and in spite of his previous "all or nothing" stance in interviews when asked about the possibility of a Van Halen reunion re: lineups/member participation).

The Van Halens didn't show up to the RnRHoF awards, and were content to let Anthony and Hagar turn up and make fools of themselves. If there was ever a chance for a one-off with Anthony and Roth with no future strings attached, THAT was it.

Wolf is a driving force in the band now. He has a lot of input in terms of what tunes the band plays onstage, and knocked it out of the park on the ADKOT album. There's nobody in the band at the moment to advocate for Anthony rejoining, unlike the 2004 tour re: Hagar.

Clearly, Ed doesn't want Mike in the band, and nobody else in the band disagrees.

Also, it just wouldn't be RIGHT to have a second guitar player onstage at a Van Halen gig...unless it's Dave strumming on an acoustic during the Ice Cream Man intro. There was something fundamentally wrong about it when Hagar used to play electric onstage when he was in the band, and Ed covers more than enough of the sonic spectrum alone to the point where a second guitar player just isn't needed.
      I think a lot of the reason that Roth didn't play with Anthony at the two previous times was not wanting to piss off the Van Halens.

As far as rhythm guitar on Classic Van Halen songs, Dave did it a couple of times on the ALAE tour and with Toshi and I don't think it added much at all.

Comment

• fwacf
        Roadie
        • Jul 2004

Big yawn!
        When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

Comment

• devildawg
          Full On Cocktard
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jetstream
          you know, something people seldom consider is that Dave and Eddie seem to be getting along better since Mike has not been in the band.
          I thought it was because Valerie is no longer in the picture.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I don't want Mike back.Wolf is kicking ass
            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

This thread sucks...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've been vocal about supporting Michael Anthony... but primarily just about respecting his role and contributions as an original founding member of Van Halen from 1974 -2007. Whatever he's said or done during that time isn't any worse than any other band member excluding that asshole Hagar. I just don't see any value in throwing Mike under the bus at this phase.

All that aside... I don't see any compelling reason to want Mike back in the band. Musically I really like where Van Halen is at. Wolfgang has made his mark. He's gotten his dad and uncle off their lazy asses and produced some of the best rock out there in the kid's own lifetime. Plus he got the singer selection right.

Might be nice to see the 4 original members together for a one-time short couple of song, reunion appearance for nostalgic purposes only... but not at the expense of damaging the gem we have now.

All that is needed now is for Dave to fix whatever is impacting his vocal performance... that's it.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• perrin29
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2012

Bah! Crap thread. Van Halen 2012 is the way that Van Halen should remain. I was never a big fan of Mike but I appreciated his place in the history of the band. That is where he needs to stay...in the past. People need to get over it. His moves dictated where he ended up.

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                    The issue has to be that Mike had a mansion from less than 25% input. Ed has said this previously.

As much as I am disliking Michael Anthony right now....this thinking by Eddie is BULLSHIT! WTF? He wanted Mike to be in Van Halen touring the world but still having some cheap apartment in Los Angeles? Maybe ask Eddie if we could pweez has some Top Ramen & tomato soup backstage on the tour riders?

When a band strikes it rich....ALL the members share that lottery ticket. If you want to go on and make more yourself then do it. But you don't begrudge the guys that stood by your side in the trenches.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• loucap81
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2012

Back in 2008, my one acquaintance who has an in with the brothers told me that EVH and AVH were jealous that Michael Anthony was living better than they were in the '90s. Basically the two of them squandered their money and he was prudent with his. But is this really surprising?

Also I think if a band strikes it rich, yeah all the members should share but not in equal parts if they're not equal contributors. Dave and Ed were the creative genius and should have gotten the lion's share. The only problem with that is EVH wouldn't be comfortable making more than his brother so I can see how it's just easier to split it equally four ways. But absent a situation like that, the most talented people in the band should get the most money. This is why some "bands" I suppose are really just one or two people plus touring musicians.

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Evh and money is a funny one , he must have spunked a fortune on nose candy and booze but he must make a tidy little number from all the Evh endorsements he has on the go ....
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

And am sure al had at least one expensive divorce .... I might be wrong but that rings a bell as to why the 2004 tour happened .. So mike just needed to Stay clear of the snozzle and the ex wives to have A better life style .
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• jpage78
                            Groupie
                            • Sep 2011

I never thought Dave had a problem with MA other than the fact that Anthony didn't contribute as much as the other three. That, as I recall, was a sticking point with BOTH Ed and Dave. I think it was MA who had a big problem with Dave. Those sickening interviews Mike did just after Dave left the band in 1985 were a window in to what Anthony thought of Roth all along.

As far as Dave and Eddie though, even though Roth is having some issues with his voice right now...he's still giving 110% in other ways and I think Ed and Dave are in a very good place with each other (you can't fake that kind of interaction on stage...they would have to win an Oscar for best actor) so Dave will get some time to heal his voice...then they are off to Japan and Australia.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• TJMKID
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

FUCK Sobolewski or Spambo the Pussy Nugget ---- let Dave play electric guitar again ---- he sounds better than Ed:

Last edited by TJMKID; 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...