Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atomicpnk47
    Head Fluffer
    • Feb 2007

Well, bring Mike back as one of the Pips and have him sing background - That's all he was good for anyway ......That would be my 2 cent.

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by TJMKID
      You get Dave alone in a room and ask him who he'd rather have playing bass and I know he'd say "Bring back Soboleski". That's because Dave cares about the fans and what we've wanted to see for 28 years.

If Eddie wasn't such a dicktator --- he'd let go of the past like he did with Dave and invite Mike back for a proper reunion.
      Nostalgia trip that's all that is. Don't believe Dave would say that. Give me new Van Halen or give me head.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
        Head Fluffer
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by VanHalenI
        It COULD work if Mike makes some sort of SPECIAL appearance for a couple of shows... but that is it, man.
        Can you imagine the awkwardness of the situation if ever takes place with Mike as a current bass player?
        How about a special appearance of Mike singing background vocals on Little Guitars? Maybe THEN I will hear Little Guitars Live again! (Remember Largo, anyone?)

I know, I know, just dreamin.......
        I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• TJMKID
          Veteran
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yount
          Nostalgia trip that's all that is. Don't believe Dave would say that. Give me new Van Halen or give me head.

Many people have guzzled too many gallons of the Eddie Van Hitler Kool-Aid since 2007. There was a big fan demand for Mike to be part of the reunion in '07-'08, but that desire has been beaten out of us by this forced love-fest for Wolf.

Wolf deserves credit for getting his Pops back on track, finishing a new album and staying sober for another tour. Whether he can compose original music on his own and carry on the VH brand is still a mystery. ADKOT says "all music written by VanHalen/Roth" ---- but that could mean Eddie wrote all the bass lines!

Like another poster said ---- the Van Hagar buttplugs got their wish in 2004, so all the old-school CVH fans deserve at least one killer show with the original 4 members. Can't be that hard to git r done. Wolfie should push for it.

Comment

• fourthcoming

I am not a Mike Anthony hater but I think your selling the kid short. I don't think Ed wrote the bass lines at all cuz I don't think Ed can play bass nearly as well as Wolf can. I don't think Mike can play bass nearly as well as Wolf either. This is Van Halen.....take it or leave it. I'll take it. I don't think Mike was composing amazing bass lines during the CVH era. I always liked Mike and his playing I felt was a little underrated. His vocals were always solid. After 1984.....it always seemed like Mike was just riding the E string anyway......Wolf is flying up and down the bass on the new album and live and his vocals are damn good.....I'm happy.

Comment

• Yount
              Commando
              • Jan 2012

I guess the main thing is Dave is in the band.
              Everything else matters but not as much.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                I am not a Mike Anthony hater but I think your selling the kid short. I don't think Ed wrote the bass lines at all cuz I don't think Ed can play bass nearly as well as Wolf can. I don't think Mike can play bass nearly as well as Wolf either. This is Van Halen.....take it or leave it. I'll take it. I don't think Mike was composing amazing bass lines during the CVH era. I always liked Mike and his playing I felt was a little underrated. His vocals were always solid. After 1984.....it always seemed like Mike was just riding the E string anyway......Wolf is flying up and down the bass on the new album and live and his vocals are damn good.....I'm happy.

I'm not selling the kid short --- I just believe what my ears and brain are telling me. I see a lot of 13 yr. olds on YouTube with as much technical skill on bass and guitar as Wolfie --- but none of them has composed a killer rock song yet. Wolfie is in that same category.

My gut also tells me Soboleski had a better ability to create his own bass lines than Wolf. Hard to believe Eddie hired Mike and then immediately had to compose all his bass lines during the club days and early VH albums. He would've dumped him a lot sooner if that was the case.

On the other hand, I can easily believe a rock legend creating all the bass lines for his son because he desperately wants the world to think his kid is the "future of Van Halen".
                Last edited by TJMKID; 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
                  Not sure I could agree here. When Dave had his shortlived radio show back in 2006, he made it very clear to his listening audience then that they should all come together, Mike included, and do one final reunion so they could all have closure. Obviously, he wouldn't have said that if he had something against Mike. Fast forward to 2007 and Dave finally got the nod from EVH to be the singer again. It's what Dave had been basically auditioning for throughout the whole 1990's when he toured regularly. His setlist was predominately VH songs then. I think that Ed made him a proposition that he would hire him again but with one stipulation. That being, no Michael Anthony, and he would have to accept his son or else keep on walking. Dave, in turn, showed where his true colors were and what he was really all about: $$$$$$

EVH said "My way or the highway" and Dave agreed. Any integrity that he had leading up to that moment (i.e. his reunion comment) went sailing right out the window. I'm sure that might be right unpopular around these parts but, I no longer have any partiality to any of them now so I don't give a shit. What bugs me is that us older VH fans who were there from the beginning will forever be denied that proper reunion. Hell, at least the Hagar fans got their reunion, even if it was shit. So, I can't help but feel a bit gypped these days. NOW they want to trot out the classics, but without the one guy who helped create those songs. You would think that, with them having a new album out that they would be more than willing to play the majority of it and be proud of it. They're not though, only averaging four new songs per show. You guys can bag on Mike all ya want as I'm concerned, does not matter to me, but I'd much rather see him up there and them doing a final glory tour than young Padi-Wan. He should be doing his own thing anyway. $0.02
                  Dave did state with regularity post-1996/pre-2007 that he'd only want to rejoin Van Halen if it was the complete classic lineup. I was a bit miffed when Roth rejoined and the band rolled on without Mike Anthony. Not only because I wanted to take Roth at his word, but because 4 years ago Wolfgang was just an uneasy presence. The kid seemed lost onstage, his bass was nearly inaudible and he really didn't bring anything to the proceedings beyond inspiring his father to clean up and work again. Not that getting Ed's head out of his ass was any small feat, but I wasn't necessarily of the mind that this warranted an unearned spot in the band.

For Dave, the options probably WERE pretty stark in 2006: either keep to his word and not rejoin Van Halen once he found out Anthony wasn't going to be included and all that choice would have entailed (which amounted to appearances on records like Van Strummin' and headlining House of Blues size theater gigs) or go along with the Van Halens and make some serious money. Dave chose the money.

For whatever it's worth, I would prefer to see Mike Anthony playing with the band rather than Wolfgang. That still doesn't mean the kid isn't doing a good job, because these days he clearly is.

For me, the future of Van Halen as a live unit is getting to be a mixed bag. When I consider the last two Van Halen shows I saw, one from the last tour and one from the present tour...well, last time around Ed kinda sucked. This time around, Dave's vocal approach didn't sound all that good to my ears. Going beyond today, I'm unsure if getting Mike back is really gonna make an appreciable difference: Van Halen live represented youthful, high energy rock at its very best. Roth and the Van Halens are on the downward part of their career arc far as live performances go. There is probably still creative juice left far as studio work goes (at least until they run out of old demos to rework:smile, but there should also be a time to consider bowing out rather than approach the point where performances are a somewhat pale reminder of the glory days. I'd agree with a setlist lopsided toward CVH material, comparisons between now and then will be inevitable, and the band is reaching the point where the contrasts between yesteryear and today aren't favorable.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    For Dave, the options probably WERE pretty stark in 2006: either keep to his word and not rejoin Van Halen once he found out Anthony wasn't going to be included and all that choice would have entailed (which amounted to appearances on records like Van Strummin' and headlining House of Blues size theater gigs) or go along with the Van Halens and make some serious money. Dave chose the money.

I don't blame Dave for his decision at all. He was 53 yrs. old in 2007 and his options weren't looking spectacular if "Strummin' with the Devil" and playing to 400 people at ribfests and street carnivals were his future. Even without Soboleski in the lineup, he knew that fans were desperate to see Roth + Eddie/Alex onstage together one last time. If Dave was in charge ---- the VH reunion tour in '96 would've sold out soccer stadiums around the world.

If there is another album left in these guys ---- it'd be awesome if they could release a short EP of maybe 4 or 5 original new songs instead of working up old demos. A glorious way to end a career.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

I guess the thing I keep coming back to with this whole issue is this: Would any of us refuse to buy a ticket for a show if Mike was back in the band? Or, if by some strange VH miracle, would you ask for a refund for your ticket if the second leg of the tour turned out to be Dave, Ed, Al and Mike? How many of us would say, "well, fuck this. It's Wolfie or nothing!!!"

I'm not looking for Mike to be back in the band. I believe that Wolfie has earned his spot and he's playing great on this tour and I actually like his backing vocals (I've said it before, I've gotten used to hearing him sing back-up to Dave). But I don't buy into the whole "Wolfie is the savior of Van Halen" rap. I just don't. I missed the interview where either Ed or Wolfie described how Wolfie resurrected Ed from the bottle and told him "you have to get Dave back in the band". I know it's here somewhere but I can't find it. I'm not talking about a second hand interview with Val or anybody else. I know they must have said this in an interview...But really? Even though Wolfie told Ed that he should get Dave back in the band...Is that such a miraculous leap of logic that only Wolfie could have made? Anybody that's a fan of Classic VH could have told Ed the same thing. It doesn't take a clairvoyant savant to understand that the best and only true version of VH was when Dave was in the band!!! Am I grateful that Wolfie had Ed's ear and told him to get Dave back in the band? Well hell fucking yes I am!! But that doesn't make Wolfie a true member of Van Fucking Halen.

I'm fine with Wolfie being onstage with VH. But the kid isn't worthy of hero worship or of carrying on the Van Halen name after Dave, Al and Ed give it up. He's just not. And any talk of him fronting Van Halen makes me want to puke and then beat my head against a wall. Sorry, I know that a whole lot of people think that it would be great to have a Wolfie fronted Van Halen - but IT AIN'T VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH!! I am grateful that Wolfie has picked a whole bunch of old songs to have played on this tour. But again, does it take a goddamned rocket scientist to figure out what the fans want to hear? Anybody could have spent two days here over the last several years and figured that out. FFS!!! The Roth Army pretty much gave them their list of old songs to rework for the new record AND gave them the goddamned setlist too!!

So while I appreciate Wolfie's contribution to the new record (I'm sure he played whatever his dad said to play, just like Mikey played whatever Ed said to play) I'm not gonna embrace Wolfie as the new face of Van Halen. He's not. He has zero history with the band and he neither helped build nor helped push Van Halen to be the biggest band in the fucking world back when they ruled the planet. No, you can't go back and you shouldn't compare this version of VH (which is only as good as Ed thinks it is today, right now) to the original Classic Van Fucking Halen lineup. But at the same time, no one should look at the current lineup and have a twinkle in their eye looking forward to when Wolfie is the leader of the band. Fuck That. I know some people think that would be just fucking great. But for me, if Dave isn't out front I could really care less.
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Angel
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

I agree that it's not VH without Dave, and I hope that once "the old boys" can't play anymore Wolf will not continue using the name for the band. I do, however, look forward to watching his career. I think he's going to do very well. Hell, he should put out a solo album when they're done. He can play guitar, drums, bass AND sing.

Somewhere in here there is a thread from when this all started in which I said he was going to be blowing minds. His lackluster stage presence is the only thing holding him back right now, imo.

If you told me they were coming here next leg, with Mike not Wolf...I'd be disappointed. I've seen Mike. 4 times I was crammed in front row centre stage unable to escape that horrid bass solo.

I'm a dancer by nature, and that kid gets me grooving. I'd love to see him jam with Kool & the Gang. Imo, I think when Ed called him "a sexy cat" all those years ago, it was another way of saying he's got natural funk. The best drummers and bassists always do...
                        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Angel
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

That said, of course I'd buy a ticket, it's Dave & Ed.

I also think Dave's enjoying this bassist more, the kid gets him grooving.

I find when I watch their interactions they both have a lot of mutual respect for each other.
                          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• CROWBAR
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

You pretty much nailed it.

Ed deserves all the blame for what us old-school fans are now getting. Dave is about integrity and honoring a legacy and wanted ALL 4 original members to launch a reunion tour both in 1996 and 2007, but even he had to eventually make concessions to Eddie Van Hitler just so he could get himself back in the band.

You get Dave alone in a room and ask him who he'd rather have playing bass and I know he'd say "Bring back Soboleski". That's because Dave cares about the fans and what we've wanted to see for 28 years.

If Eddie wasn't such a dicktator --- he'd let go of the past like he did with Dave and invite Mike back for a proper reunion. Wolf could stay on as "rhythm guitarist" or some shit to make himself look useful. Funny part is that this could still happen --- but ironically, Wolf is probably the only person who could convince his Pops to do it.
                            I think that Dave probably would say that too. That he would have preferred having Mike to do a proper final reunion with. What I don't understand though is why he didn't push for that when he and EVH were discussing details back in '06ish? Basically, Ed bent Dave over and said "We're doing this with my son" whether you like it or not. Take it or leave it. Ed is a controlling little fucker though, as you say. I think it's pretty obvious too, after seeing some decisions he's made through the years. Hell, when Mike wanted to do a few gigs on the Sam & Dave tour in '02, Ed told him "As long as you don't play with Roth." What kind of bullshit is that? Mike already had his permission, why add that? It was uncalled for. Seems to me that Ed is a sensitive person, and he got his little feelings hurt when Mike was going out and enjoying himself playing alongside Hagar. Many around here think Mike cut his own throat by doing so, not sure that I could agree. Here's why: EVH constantly kept him in the dark and never said "Hey, here's what we are doing now Mike..." I can recall hearing Mike the day of my show in 2002 and he said verbatim "What am I supposed to do, sit around and watch the grass grow?" to which I agree with. Ed was too busy being drunk all the time back then. Didn't want to deal with having a band in anyway, shape or form imo. Mike grew more and more restless and wanted to do something, anything, during the VH downtime. Can't say that I blame him either. Gets old just sitting around. Let's say you and I out here in the real working world were treated the same way by our boss. It wouldn't be long before you would start sending out your resumes to find another job would it? Probably not I'm guessing. All Ed had to do was keep him informed along the way but he refused to. Ed is also a very selfish guy (a common trait amongst alcoholics) and constantly blames others for shit he created. When Mike went and played alongside Hagar, it festered within him and he never asked Mike back. Mike had to find out just like everybody else did via the internet. I thought that was pretty classless of EVH. Didn't even have the guts to fire him face to face like a man. The thing I'll never understand is that, if he really had wanted Mike gone all those years, then why didn't he fire him at some point? Mike must not have been as bad as he thought then is all I can surmise. He also could have hired any number of professional bassists out there to continue, but instead, he chose his own son, who was inexperienced. Nepotism? You betcha. I think Ed placed his own selfish needs before the greater good of the bands. Wolf is a competent player, can't knock him there, but he should have stepped aside and went on to have his own band.

The real kicker here (at least to me) is that had they done a final reunion tour with Mike, and gone to places they missed the first time around, they all would have made substantially more money than what this current tour will eventually bring them. Oh well, the kid is in and that is that as they say. Ed ain't gonna fire his kid, so that's what we get.

I'd much rather a kickass boxset of goodies and classic concerts on DVD. These videos they've been doing just seem like a tease. Like them sitting around the old campfire, but never really saying much of substance. I'd rather hear about how they went into the studio to complete Fair Warning than this trivial petty stuff they're telling us about now. I'd rather hear about Oakland 1981 and where is it. Something of real fan value. The nuts and bolts stuff of what made the band work.

You can't always get what you want though.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

You're living in a delusion if you think people are buying VH tickets because Wolfie is a vastly superior player to Sobolewski.

I'd agree that Mike was the distant 4th most important member of the '78-'84 success that carries over to the present day ---- but don't get carried away with Wolfie's influence. Has the kid even composed a single line of original music yet? His Daddy already had a repertoire of 50+ original kick ass rock songs at the same age Wolf is now.

Show me even one nugget of original musical genius coming from Wolfie and I'll buy the hype. Until then, he's just a good technical player who spends most of his free time hanging with his chick and watching hockey.
                              The hero status may be a little over-played... but on the other hand Wolfgang had a hand on pulling his dad outta the addiction dumps and got him back to not only making music but making stellar music. The kid didn't do it alone... Janie, Al and others close had a hand certainly, but given what we know playing music with Wolfgang appears to be a huge motivator for Ed.

I wouldn't rule out the music composition aspect with Wolfgang and here's why... Look at Ed's writing progression from Balance to III to the 3 songs from BOBW... even throw in the instrumental crap from the Catherine porn soundtrack. Then the astronomical huge leap to ADKOT. There's a hell of a lot more there than just reinserting Dave into the musical mix or even revitalizing 6-7 old unreleased demos.

Remember the 3 Van Halens spent months jamming and composing before serious work went into ADKOT in 5150 without Dave nor any of the engineers/producers involved. Whose to say in that environment Wolfgang didn't bring not only a few suggestions but major riffs and structures into the creative process???

Look at how tight the 3 Amigos are playing... Also listen to the description Shanks used to describe Wolfgang's leadership in the studio...

Sure, Dave downplays Wolf's contributions in an interview or two and claims this all he, Ed & Al's life history, blood sweat and tears are what's behind the ADKOT body of work. I can say with good confidence Dave couldn't allow himself to admit a 21 year old pup had a hand in this legacy influenced masterpiece... Ed & Al most likely will allow it too, just for the public record and marketing aspect... with a VH wink & a nod as to what really played out at home camp.

Look at the interviews they've provided us... No Wolfgang present. I think Wolfgang is content for now staying in the shadows of his family legacy. Even let Dave have the spotlight for things the kid may have created in the background. It is his Dad's life... But I can't be so bold nor naive to think Wolfgang had no creative compositional contribution... the leap from 2004 is more than the 3 old guys had in them... if you follow the creative historical progression...

There's a Joker in the deck...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Agreed.

Comment

Working...