Guitar World Comes Through Again! Awesome VH Cover Story In New Issue!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    It's easy to pass Extreme of as shitty since Nuno was the only stand out of the band as far as I was concerned. What many don't know about Nuno is that he is actually a lot like Prince.
    At 5'7" he would tower over Prince.

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

'Thousands of tiny little notes, urging you to let go with music so thin, you feel like you're hearing nothing at all.'

I think that "could have taken on Hagar" compliment was a little sarcastic. I mean, he's practically putting Extreme in the same category as Van Hagar. Nyuk nyuk.

Two bands that were too serious and too try hard, everybody knows that Van Fucking Halen are a bunch of fucking nerds without David Lee Roth The Great.

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        I still don't really blame Cherone for taking the gig. His band was dying and he gets the call accompanied no doubt by a bunch of BS about Dave, what else was he going to do?
        It helped loads that the creep Ray Daniels was managing both bands at the time. He simply consolidated his interests and cut his overhead by merging the two, to the ultimate detriment of all involved. What's really amazing is that he didn't manage to fuck up Rush over the past 30 years or so in the same manner. Christ, the mind boils over at the thought of Geddy Lee singing and playing bass for Van Halen.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nigel
          Roadie
          • Mar 2004

[QUOTE=chefcraig;1666616] Christ, the mind boils over at the thought of Geddy Lee singing and playing bass for Van Halen.

Or singing period. Rush is a great band musically, but Geddy Lee, Axl Rose and that singer for AC/DC should host the "Catarwauling Awards"

Have a death sing off, until they all lie dead on the floor, with blood oozing from their eardrums.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            It helped loads that the creep Ray Daniels was managing both bands at the time. He simply consolidated his interests and cut his overhead by merging the two, to the ultimate detriment of all involved. What's really amazing is that he didn't manage to fuck up Rush over the past 30 years or so in the same manner. Christ, the mind boils over at the thought of Geddy Lee singing and playing bass for Van Halen.

Yep.... Danniels screwed up VH, Extreme, Queensryche, and God knows how many other bands. I still can't believe Rush was able to withstand having that fucking douchebag for a manager their entire career. Maybe he's just not as destructive with Canadian bands?

Ultimately though, given more time Danniels probably would have tried to draft Eddie into Rush. Must admit that the thought of him playing with that rhythm section would be intriguing. But I doubt either Geddy or Eddie would be all that willing to give up their respective Alexes.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Northern Girl
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Since this seems to have turned into an Extreme thread, I'm not going back to see if any of this was posted already:

Eddie Van Halen on Future Work with David Lee Roth: ‘I See Us Doing This for a Long, Long Time’
              by: Billy Dukes

Eddie Van Halen says the current album cycle with David Lee Roth isn’t a one-time gimmick. This is the future of Van Halen, and the band has a bright future. In an interview with Guitar World the legendary guitarist talks about what once held them back and what now keeps them looking forward.

“It feels more like a band and a family than it ever has, and not just because three-quarters of it is family,” Van Halen says in the current issue of the magazine. “Working with Dave has been very productive. We’re all very opinionated about things, but it’s all for the benefit of the music.”

Van Halen says he’s blessed to be out of a dark period, and working with his brother Alex and son Wolfgang. “I have a wonderful wife, wonderful friends and a son who doesn’t smoke, drink or do drugs … What more could I ask for?”

When reflecting on the band’s past drama and lineup changes, Eddie says “It wasn’t really us, it was people around us. When you’re doing drugs, drinking and partying, you start believing the s–t people tell you. Those days are gone. We’ve gotten rid of peole who don’t belong here.”

While the second leg of the American tour was postponed, the band will pick up again this November in Japan. Eddie Van Halen says that when this cycle finishes, he fully expects to take a break and then pick up writing and recording the next album. “That’s what I hope to do. I’m pretty sure that’s what our intention is.” They’ve also hinted at more 2013 American tour dates.

Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                Since this seems to have turned into an Extreme thread, I'm not going back to see if any of this was posted already:

Eddie Van Halen on Future Work with David Lee Roth: ‘I See Us Doing This for a Long, Long Time’
                by: Billy Dukes

When reflecting on the band’s past drama and lineup changes, Eddie says “It wasn’t really us, it was people around us. When you’re doing drugs, drinking and partying, you start believing the s–t people tell you. Those days are gone. We’ve gotten rid of peole who don’t belong here.”

Amen...
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I almost missed this post because this thread was so lame...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Yep.... Danniels screwed up VH, Extreme, Queensryche, and God knows how many other bands. I still can't believe Rush was able to withstand having that fucking douchebag for a manager their entire career. Maybe he's just not as destructive with Canadian bands?

Ultimately though, given more time Danniels probably would have tried to draft Eddie into Rush. Must admit that the thought of him playing with that rhythm section would be intriguing. But I doubt either Geddy or Eddie would be all that willing to give up their respective Alexes.
                    I believe it's in the movie Beyond the Lighted Stage but Ray Daniels fired Geddy Lee from the band in the early days. So Danniels did fuck up Rush it's just that he was lucky Geddy came back.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

How could he fire Geddy ??

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Given that Rush has been around since 1968, with the current lineup having been in place since 1974, it would seem to the outsider that they’ve always been best mates. But that hasn’t always been the case. In a recent interview, bassist/singer Geddy Lee talks about how he was once fired from the band.

The dismissal happened before their recording career started, when they were a four-piece with original drummer John Rutsey and Lindy Young on piano. Shortly after Ray Danniels was hired to be their manager, he began asserting himself in all kinds of ways.

“Ray came along. He had no real reputation yet as a manager or anything,” Lee told Classic Rock. “He was just kind of an agent working in Toronto. “So he started directing the band and he just thought I wasn’t suitable, for whatever reasons he had. I don’t know whether it was the way I looked, or my religious background – who the f— knew? Anyway, he influenced them and they went along with it, Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey, and I was out.”

Obviously it all worked out in the end, but it’s also possible that Lee’s next move created a bit of jealousy that led to his re-hiring. “I started a blues band and I was, frankly speaking, doing better than they were,” he continued “Then I got a call from John and he said, ‘Can we get together?’ Basically, ‘Can you come back? We’re sorry.’”
                        Somewhere there is a video interview of Ray Daniels being asked why and he sits there looking stupid and then they get Geddy to tell the story. I can't find it but yeah, Ray fired Geddy.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Hmmm...

What a dumb fuck...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I wish I could find the video because when asked why he fired Geddy Ray just sits there looking like a dumbfuck. I'm amazed Geddy didn't motion to can Ray's ass later on. You could tell it still bothered Geddy after all these years. I got the impression he still to this day doesn't really care for Ray Daniels. Ray just got lucky. He showed he was still a fuckup when he got behind the wheel of Van Halen. The idiot snubbed Roth so he could worm Cherone into the band. He would have done much better for himself if he could have been the guy that got Roth in but I think Ed and Val had to get their divorce and Ed had to hit rock bottom before Dave could get in. Ed was in a miserable marriage and it was destroying him.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-28-2012, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• jero
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

Amen...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Finally picked up a copy of this issue... Interesting read. Especially the Wolfgang interview.

Contrary to TMJkid's hater rants the son really has had a very active roll in the resurgence of the band and making of ADKOT.
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...