• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • envy_me
    Swedish Love Pump
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Von Halen
    The attitude here is what makes this the Roth Army. We had these attitudes from day 1, because we are DLR and DLR era VH fans. We don't censor ourselves, and we don't censor each other. We do fuck with each other though! Van Halen and DLR were never cookie cutter, neither are we here. You might not be sure the attitude here is for you, but I bet if you visit some of the other band fan sites, and deal with their mundane boring censored banter, you will find you appreciate the attitude here much more than you think you do.
    I don't actually mind attitude as much as profanities. If you're gonna have an attitude, you also need some style and finesse. Anybody can curse and call people names, that's not hard. And as I said it's far from everybody that is like that.
    And it might be that when I came here I was struck the harder then others. I don't know why. Maybe I came right out and said that I don't like the Van Halen sisters.
    But after all this is a DLR site, I sought out that specificlly. I didn't wanna go to a VH-site, I still don't. If VH splits now, I'd still like Dave.
    Last edited by envy_me; 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM.
    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• envy_me
      Swedish Love Pump
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by golitely
      Observing over the years, it looks like fans break down into 3 groups: those 45+, the original fans (you lucky bastards!), who got to experience VH in all their glory while in their teens and 20s and are probably CVH fans first and DLR fans second ; then you have those about 37-45 (my group) who came in around DD and saw the tail end of VH, the break-up and followed Dave's solo career, who are probably DLR fans first and CVH fans second.
      Then there are the rest who came on board say post 1996. I'm curious a bit about what drew this group (apart from the music, which is obvious). What are your expectations when seeing or listening to VH now? Are you focused on CVH? Are you even familiar with solo Dave, apart from maybe EEAS which most naturally flows from 1984? How does the whole Sammy, etc. history impact you emotionally? Does you even understand the context of a lot of the anger here towards him/them?
      From the comments above, it just looks like those of us who have been around for awhile and saw DLR at the height of his powers are probably more forgiving of his/their present weaknesses. We don't expect SuperDave and I think that if most of us are honest (like Angel somewhere above), we don't even really want that because we too are older and have sort of been there, done that.
      Just curious about the different viewpoints.
      That is really interesting question. I am one of those that recently started to listen to VH. I have to think about if for a while, and then I'll get back to you.
      Hope other people respond too, cause it would be interesting to see.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by envy_me
        I don't actually mind attitude as much as profanities.
        Sug min kuk

Comment

• baru911
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2012

Man look at him, he doesn't give a shit, THIS is rock.

Alright Ludwigshafen, put your hands together for the one, the only.................Love Handle Man!
          Just remember boys and girls, to get Nick the Dick and his partner FORD off your porch when they come to your home you just need to pay them for the pizza.

Comment

• fourthcoming

The dude is an amazing player....but I don't know.....everything seems to be me me me with that dude. I know there are plenty of guitar guys out there who love guys like yngwie, vai, satriani....etc....but to me that stuff is boring as shit. Write a killer tune or 10 with a great band/lead singer. It's about great tunes....imo anyway. Are there THAT many people who can go sit through an entire show of one 10 minute overblown guitar solo after another?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
              The dude is an amazing player....but I don't know.....everything seems to be me me me with that dude. I know there are plenty of guitar guys out there who love guys like yngwie, vai, satriani....etc....but to me that stuff is boring as shit. Write a killer tune or 10 with a great band/lead singer. It's about great tunes....imo anyway. Are there THAT many people who can go sit through an entire show of one 10 minute overblown guitar solo after another?
              I could not agree more. I give props to Steve Vai, but I saw him about ten years ago, and was totally ready to walk out by the fifth song. He had two other guys on stage with him playing exactly as he did at times. Can you say overkill? You're right. Rock and Roll is best served with a lead singer fronting a great band. Instrumentals here and there are ok, but the perpetual soloing puts my head on the pillow.

Comment

• fourthcoming

See...DLR Bridge clearly gets it......apparently I have run out of thanks DLR....no longer have the option of thanking someone's post for some strange reason otherwise I would have easily slapped a thank you on what you just wrote.

Comment

• envy_me
                  Swedish Love Pump
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Sug min kuk
                  Nej, tack.

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I wouldn't even want Ed to make a self indulgent solo album. In fact, I'd prefer he ditch the 10 minute solo, play the solo lead ins as they were on the albums. Then we could probably get 3 more songs we aren't getting now!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I don't actually mind attitude as much as profanities.
                      You're not going to be long for this place if you mind profanities.....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Coyote
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Sug min kuk
                        You'd better slicka fittan ren first...
                        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Von Halen
                          I wouldn't even want Ed to make a self indulgent solo album. In fact, I'd prefer he ditch the 10 minute solo, play the solo lead ins as they were on the albums. Then we could probably get 3 more songs we aren't getting now!
                          Agree. Break the large solo up and slam those amazing flourishes all over the set like toasting glasses in the fire place.

Comment

• envy_me
                            Swedish Love Pump
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Coyote
                            You'd better slicka fittan ren first...
                            Omg, where do you guys find all these phrases?

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Google

Comment

• golitely
                                Roadie
                                • Nov 2011

That is really interesting question. I am one of those that recently started to listen to VH. I have to think about if for a while, and then I'll get back to you.
                                Hope other people respond too, cause it would be interesting to see.
                                I was thinking about my 11-year old who has become a fan of the 1984-era VH/EEAS/Picasso Bros. stuff. After listening to her repeated questions and comments: Why does he keep his hair short? Why doesn't he do splits anymore, etc. etc., it occurred to me that her VH experience is VH c. 1984. In her mind, DLR is 30 years old, dressed in spandex and shoving his crotch in the camera. In part it is becuz she is a kid and lacks perspective, but it's also what she can relate to (the cartoonishness of 1984/86), and that era is what is the VH "present" for her.
                                So I'm wondering what is the VH experience for those who did not witness the evolution of the band/DLR solo? I imagine some came in thru older relatives or friends, others becuz they are guitar players and naturally drifted towards studying EVH, and others maybe thru classic rock radio or Jump (which is still played often as background music on soccer wrap-up shows here in Italy). And how you come at it colors your perspective and expectations.
                                Just throwing out ideas.

Comment

Working...