• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    We share that...
    Good for you! You're smart and funny too...you've got it all!
    Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Comment

• envy_me
        Swedish Love Pump
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Northern Girl
        That's hardly his usual attire...just an affectation.

I don't know too many old men that look or behave like this...

YUM!
        Thats what i'm talking about. Jaw-dropping!
        The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• Yount
          Commando
          • Jan 2012

DLR to the wooz: "You're gonna have to drop your jaw to fit it all in, honey sugar."

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

shoo be boppa got lost in a jetstream.

i want some too!!

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

I don't consider the overalls/cap "old man" clothes. Probably because I know a young cattle rancher out here that dresses like that, lol.
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• fraroc
                Commando
                • Jun 2012

That's hardly his usual attire...just an affectation.

I don't know too many old men that look or behave like this...

YUM!
                That's 56?! If I didn't know any better I'd say he's in his mid 40s in this pic!

Hey, as long as Dave remains young at heart, he could be doing high kicks at 66!
                How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• katina
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2012

Not many old men look and behave like this.........

Watch throu 1.22 when Dave shows his tattoo !!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by envy_me
                    It's not black or white. There is a whole spectrum of grey in between. There are a million different styles in between "trying desperatelly to look young" and "old".
                    like, more than 50 shades?
                    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ashstralia
                      nah, only 50 shades.
                      dammit, didn't see it. atta boy...
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Yount
                        DLR to the wooz: "You're gonna have to drop your jaw to fit it all in, honey sugar."
                        What is wooz?

Comment

• envy_me
                          Swedish Love Pump
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ashstralia
                          Are you trying to pick a fight

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

A portion of the high energy bombast that made CVH the top of the rock heap in the early 1980s is no longer to be found in the stage act.

Partly a function of aging...perhaps also the result of having long ago scaled to the top of the heap.

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Van Halen were climbing the ladder, and expending the energy necessary to make that a successful effort.

Now, it's 30+ years later. Also, the musical climate has changed (not for the better, far as I'm concerned). All the folks who were teens back when CVH ruled are now pushing forty...or fifty...Van Halen probably isn't gonna make a new album that is gonna sell millions of records within the initial year(s) of being released. A large chunk of the physical prowess that defined their stage act is now gone forever (never mind Roth; it ain't like we're gonna see Eddie doing his Pete Townshend-style jump shots much more either).

I'm not sure if it's really useful to lament what the band is today vs. what they were three decades ago yet continue to see their shows. There are very, very few bands that reached their highwater mark when they were in their twenties and can keep that energy level up in their fifties. Be it tuning down to accomodate aging vocal cords, rearranging some songs and even dropping some songs altogether because (not talking just Van Halen, here) because the passage of time has rendered the members incapable of doing them justice, adding additional musicians/backing vocalists onstage...showmanship standards of youth just become harder to replicate as time goes on.

When I go to a Van Halen show now, I'm really going to celebrate what the band has already accomplished years ago. Yeah, ADKOT was a really good album (actually far better than I thought they were capable of), but had the band not played a single tune off it live I wouldn't have been all that upset. It's just a chance to see them get up there once again and breathe some life into all those timeless classic rock tunes they came up with. I mean, I haven't been too complimentary about how Roth performed this last go-around, but if I step back and look at it from a wider perspective, in some ways it's pretty amazing they were able to pull their shit together as well as they have.

For me, the key to enjoying what the band is today is to dig what they are, rather than grouse about what they no longer are. Realistically, one would be forgiven for assuming Van Halen as an active live and recording unit probably have more yesterdays behind them than they have tomorrows in front of them. That part of the tour had to be postponed because the band booked more than they were physically able to handle is an indication of this.

After all the years of being pissed off at the brothers, rolling my eyes at some of Roth's career decisions and getting irked at some of the idiotic bullshit that came out of Hagar's mouth, as a fan I just wanna put all of that in the past and enjoy what time the band has left...and enjoy the music. Because that's what got me hooked on Van Halen in the first place. When CVH was around, there wasn't a lot of talk about anything beyond how bitchin' the music was, how bitchin' the band was, what a great frontman Roth was and what a phenominal guitar player Eddie was. Then Roth left and for twenty-odd years the focus shifted at times to speculation of the backstage soap opera dramatics.

Now Roth is back. There's some new music and the band is playing well. Yeah, it's a bummer that it took so long to happen (ten years too long), but better fucking late than never. I mean, for me even a slightly diminished Van Halen (long as Dave is in it) is still miles beyond what most other bands are capable of doing.
                            Last edited by Terry; 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• katina
                              Commando
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Terry
                              A portion of the high energy bombast that made CVH the top of the rock heap in the early 1980s is no longer to be found in the stage act.

Partly a function of aging...perhaps also the result of having long ago scaled to the top of the heap.

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Van Halen were climbing the ladder, and expending the energy necessary to make that a successful effort.

Now, it's 30+ years later. Also, the musical climate has changed (not for the better, far as I'm concerned). All the folks who were teens back when CVH ruled are now pushing forty...or fifty...Van Halen probably isn't gonna make a new album that is gonna sell millions of records within the initial year(s) of being released. A large chunk of the physical prowess that defined their stage act is now gone forever (never mind Roth; it ain't like we're gonna see Eddie doing his Pete Townshend-style jump shots much more either).

I'm not sure if it's really useful to lament what the band is today vs. what they were three decades ago yet continue to see their shows. There are very, very few bands that reached their highwater mark when they were in their twenties and can keep that energy level up in their fifties. Be it tuning down to accomodate aging vocal cords, rearranging some songs and even dropping some songs altogether because (not talking just Van Halen, here) because the passage of time has rendered the members incapable of doing them justice, adding additional musicians/backing vocalists onstage...showmanship standards of youth just become harder to replicate as time goes on.

When I go to a Van Halen show now, I'm really going to celebrate what the band has already accomplished years ago. Yeah, ADKOT was a really good album (actually far better than I thought they were capable of), but had the band not played a single tune off it live I wouldn't have been all that upset. It's just a chance to see them get up there once again and breathe some life into all those timeless classic rock tunes they came up with. I mean, I haven't been too complimentary about how Roth performed this last go-around, but if I step back and look at it from a wider perspective, in some ways it's pretty amazing they were able to pull their shit together as well as they have.

For me, the key to enjoying what the band is today is to dig what they are, rather than grouse about what they no longer are. Realistically, one would be forgiven for assuming Van Halen as an active live and recording unit probably have more yesterdays behind them than they have tomorrows in front of them. That part of the tour had to be postponed because the band booked more than they were physically able to handle is an indication of this.

After all the years of being pissed off at the brothers, rolling my eyes at some of Roth's career decisions and getting irked at some of the idiotic bullshit that came out of Hagar's mouth, as a fan I just wanna put all of that in the past and enjoy what time the band has left...and enjoy the music. Because that's what got me hooked on Van Halen in the first place. When CVH was around, there wasn't a lot of talk about anything beyond how bitchin' the music was, how bitchin' the band was, what a great frontman Roth was and what a phenominal guitar player Eddie was. Then Roth left and for twenty-odd years the focus shifted at times to speculation of the backstage soap opera dramatics.

Now Roth is back. There's some new music and the band is playing well. Yeah, it's a bummer that it took so long to happen (ten years too long), but better fucking late than never. I mean, for me even a slightly diminished Van Halen (long as Dave is in it) is still miles beyond what most other bands are capable of doing.
                              Great words, Terry !!!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Good for you! You're smart and funny too...you've got it all!
                                Oh geez... now you've gone and done it... Please don't feed the animals!!
                                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...