Which musicians has Eddie Van Halen mocked over the years?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

there ya go!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Dog eat Dog !

Roth On !
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

yo, marky!!!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Roth played an ACDC song against Panama on his radio show pointing out that was where it came from but I can't remember which ACDC song it was.
          Try these two. The differences between the tunes are embarrassingly minute.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• mh5150
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2010

What about Best of Both Worlds.
            I heard it was a tribute to Yes
            Roundabout.
            Same riff.

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
              What about Best of Both Worlds.
              I heard it was a tribute to Yes
              Roundabout.
              Same riff.
              You can't be serious. Ed stole the riff, lock, stock and barrel from Kool & The Gang, which sort of explains a few things.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                Dog eat Dog !

Roth On !

It's not completely dissimilar.

To be fair quite often I get shit from other band members about me copying a riff when I've never even heard the original.

Comment

• mh5150
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  You can't be serious. Ed stole the riff, lock, stock and barrel from Kool & The Gang, which sort of explains a few things.

I am serious. I read that somewhere years ago. Not the same riff but a tribute is what I remember .

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

At :51 seconds
                  Again at 1:42
                  Last edited by mh5150; 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM.

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• redozzman
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Feb 2005

Ed on Randy Rhoads, "Poor guy, what a way to go, you know they had to be fucked up, buzzing the tour buss with a plane. you never know he may be up in heaven jamming with bonham and those guys"

interviewer "the first time I heard him i thought of you"

EVH "yeah, he's not doing anything I have not done" I can tell when someone is coping my technique"
                    Last edited by redozzman; 07-26-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by mh5150
                      I am serious. I read that somewhere years ago.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

At :51 seconds
                      Again at 1:42
                      Well, I'm not being serious at all, but I must tell you that while watching some dippy MTV awards show in the mid-eighties, I nearly vomited when the show cut to a live "Van Halen" performance featuring the "Best Of Both Worlds" song. My friends and I watched the screen in abject confusion and horror, unable to decide if we should shit or eat a banana. The tension was soon broken as everyone in the room spontaneously started singing "Celebrate good times, Come on! It's a celebration." Then the VH nitwits further embarrassed themselves when they went into Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love" while doing the dorky line dance from the movie The Breakfast Club.

It was at that precise moment that everyone in the room (and quite possibly, world-wide) began pining for the return of David Lee Roth, or short of that, some dignity to what was once an unquestionably awesome band.

Originally posted by redozzman
                      Ed on Randy Rhoads, "Poor guy, what a way to go, you know they had to be fucked up, buzzing the tour buss with a plane. you never know he may be up in heaven jamming with bonnam and those guys"

interviewer "the first time I heard him i thought of you"

EVH "yeah, he's not doing anything I have not done" I can tell when someone is coping my technique"
                      Ed also stated (I think in one of those Guitar World interviews):

"Randy Rhoads, yeah, he did me to the bone, bless his soul."

It was at that point I wanted to hit the nitwit on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, or better yet, a fucking log.
                      Last edited by chefcraig; 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jack68
                        Commando
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        To this day, I still hold strongly to the idea the Outrider tour was the best thing Page has done post-Zep. The song list hit on every facet of the guy's career, and the backing musicians were outstanding.
                        I loved the first Firm album and tour.Outrider is excellent....wasting my time ,prison blues..great shit.I saw Page @ the Ritz in NYC on that tour right up front.New meaning to the word wasted.Drooling on himself,just a mess.Didnt play too bad though.
                        "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by jhale667
                          It's funny reading about or talking to known guitarists of the era, and how they talk about how you pretty much HAD to update your style somewhat in the wake of EVH (and Rhoads) or risk being perceived as a dinosaur playing rudimentary box pentatonic licks. Apparently it had varying degrees of success...lol For example, I was reading a piece on Thin Lizzy where the author said he pretty much hates Scott Gorham's style since he "modernized" his lead-style for lack of a better word in the 80s. Poor Gorham - great guitarist in his own right, but he went from trying to figure out what EVH was doing in '78-'79 to having to try to keep up with John Sykes (who prayed to the altar of Gary Moore) in '80-81...ow.

But yeah, doing Ed's licks note-for-note in your solo? Lame even when you're NOT on tour with them, not surprised he wanted to backhand some people!

It's a shame people succombed to pressure. I'd take Gorham's lead work in the '70s over anything Sykes or Moore ever did.
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Working...